Topics

moderated Does Anyone Know This Synth?

Glenn / Lenny

Hi,
I know that some of you really know all the synthesizers, and there is this synthesizer used in a Limp Bizkit song, it spells out limp.
I would like to know the name of the synth used.
I think it sounds like the one in the movie War Games but I'm not sure.
The link will download the song.
Glenn

ratshtron

most likely a speak and spell.

Legend has it that on Saturday 11/23/2019 12:17 PM, Glenn / Lenny said:
----------------------------------------
Hi,
I know that some of you really know all the synthesizers, and there is this synthesizer used in a Limp Bizkit song, it spells out limp.
<https://od.lk/d/N18xNjU1MDQ4OTJf/Limp%20Bizkit%20-%20Behind%20Blue%20Eyes.mp3>https://od.lk/d/N18xNjU1MDQ4OTJf/Limp%20Bizkit%20-%20Behind%20Blue%20Eyes.mp3
Glenn
----------------------------------------

Nermin

Hi,

yep, a Speak and Spell, popular in the mid to end 70s and in the 80s as well.
It had cartridges with different vocabulary on it, but you couldn't really use it as a computer synth. It was a stand-alone thing with some sort of capacitive buttons for kids to learn how to spell, made by Texas Instruments.
I think there even was a version with a complete Braille sheet to label all the buttons and make it accessible.

Regards,
Nermin

Glenn / Lenny

I wish there was a software synth that is like that.
Maybe I could work eSpeak to sound that way.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2019 12:43 PM
Subject: Re: Does Anyone Know This Synth?

Hi,

yep, a Speak and Spell, popular in the mid to end 70s and in the 80s as well.
It had cartridges with different vocabulary on it, but you couldn't really use it as a computer synth. It was a stand-alone thing with some sort of capacitive buttons for kids to learn how to spell, made by Texas Instruments.
I think there even was a version with a complete Braille sheet to label all the buttons and make it accessible.

Regards,
Nermin

Marty Hutchings

I don’t know that synth, but I like the song and have downloaded it.  It is a very cool cover of the Who song.

Love in Christ
Marty
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2019 12:17 PM
Subject: Does Anyone Know This Synth?

Hi,
Glenn

Richard Turner

It sounds like the old Double Talk voice, which is also on the Triple Talk hardware synth.
Not sure of course as it has been a long time since I used the hardware synth.

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." 
-- from The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, by Jane Wagner

On Nov 23, 2019, at 11:12 AM, Marty Hutchings <mhutchings152730@...> wrote:

I don’t know that synth, but I like the song and have downloaded it.  It is a very cool cover of the Who song.

Love in Christ
Marty
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.

Hi,
Glenn

JM Casey

I had one or two of those.
The synth it used was, I think, a variant of the same Texas Instrument chip
used in the Echo and other old synths. The Speak 'n' Spell was less
"robotic" sounding than what was available from Street Electronics --
probably had the phonemes programmed directly into it. You could still make
it make all sorts of weird noises though. Haha
You could probably emulate this on a pC if you knew how. I certainly don't.
I downloaded an Apple II E emulator with Echo speech just for kicks. Played
with it for a couple of months. I guess I don't really miss those days after
all, but, still pretty cool.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nermin via
Groups.Io
Sent: November 23, 2019 1:43 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Hi,

yep, a Speak and Spell, popular in the mid to end 70s and in the 80s as
well.
It had cartridges with different vocabulary on it, but you couldn't really
use it as a computer synth. It was a stand-alone thing with some sort of
capacitive buttons for kids to learn how to spell, made by Texas
Instruments.
I think there even was a version with a complete Braille sheet to label all
the buttons and make it accessible.

Regards,
Nermin

Richard Turner

I did some research and found the answer to this question through Wikipedia.

. Limp Bizkit's arrangement is notable for featuring a Speak & Spell during the bridge.[10] This, together with a new verse and an extra chorus, replaces the rock theme of The Who's version. 

For those who do not know what a Speak and Spell is, it was a hand-held device made in the late 1970's by Texas Instruments as an educational tool. I had bought one for my Great Niece.

There is a good article on Texas Instruments and the speak and spell on Wikipedia as well.

Richard
-- from The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, by Jane Wagner

On Nov 23, 2019, at 11:30 AM, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:

It sounds like the old Double Talk voice, which is also on the Triple Talk hardware synth.

Richard

Love in Christ
Marty

Hi,
Glenn

Glenn / Lenny

Cool, Thanks Richard.

Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 7:31 AM

. Limp Bizkit's arrangement is notable for featuring a Speak & Spell during the bridge.[10] This, together with a new verse and an extra chorus, replaces the rock theme of The Who's version. 

For those who do not know what a Speak and Spell is, it was a hand-held device made in the late 1970's by Texas Instruments as an educational tool. I had bought one for my Great Niece.

There is a good article on Texas Instruments and the speak and spell on Wikipedia as well.

Richard

Richard

Love in Christ
Marty

Hi,
Glenn

JM Casey

Venom’s album Cast in Stone also used a sample of the speak and spell saying “I win”. I laughed when I recognised that.

Anyway like I said in a previous message, it uses the same chip as the Echo speech synth. Yes, it sounds different, but that’s because of how the chip is programmed. You could make some of the echos sound like this too but it usually took more tweaking and effort than it was worth.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: November 25, 2019 9:59 AM

Cool, Thanks Richard.

Richard

Richard

Love in Christ
Marty

Hi,

Glenn

Marty Hutchings

Doesn’t Pink Floyd use a synth in one of their songs?

Love in Christ
Marty

Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 9:33 AM

Venom’s album Cast in Stone also used a sample of the speak and spell saying “I win”. I laughed when I recognised that.

Anyway like I said in a previous message, it uses the same chip as the Echo speech synth. Yes, it sounds different, but that’s because of how the chip is programmed. You could make some of the echos sound like this too but it usually took more tweaking and effort than it was worth.

Cool, Thanks Richard.

. Limp Bizkit's arrangement is notable for featuring a Speak & Spell during the bridge.[10] This, together with a new verse and an extra chorus, replaces the rock theme of The Who's version.

Richard

-- from The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, by Jane Wagner

Richard

-- from The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, by Jane Wagner

Love in Christ
Marty

Hi,

Glenn

JM Casey

The song “Keep Talking” has samples of Steven hawking speaking through his synth. Don’t really know what it is but, it sounds rather like a Dectalk to me, with some slightly different inflection.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: November 25, 2019 10:49 AM

Love in Christ
Marty

Cool, Thanks Richard.

. Limp Bizkit's arrangement is notable for featuring a Speak & Spell during the bridge.[10] This, together with a new verse and an extra chorus, replaces the rock theme of The Who's version.

Richard

Richard

Love in Christ
Marty

Hi,

Glenn

Glenn / Lenny

I guess at one time the folks who assisted Stephen Hawking with his synthesizer told him that they could put in a more human sounding one and he declined, and they worked hard to find the Dectalks to keep his going.  The only thing he did not like about it was the American accent.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 9:51 AM

The song “Keep Talking” has samples of Steven hawking speaking through his synth. Don’t really know what it is but, it sounds rather like a Dectalk to me, with some slightly different inflection.

Love in Christ
Marty

Cool, Thanks Richard.

Richard

Richard

Love in Christ
Marty

Hi,

Glenn

JM Casey

Interesting, Glenn … didn’t know all this.

Sent: November 25, 2019 11:02 AM

I guess at one time the folks who assisted Stephen Hawking with his synthesizer told him that they could put in a more human sounding one and he declined, and they worked hard to find the Dectalks to keep his going.  The only thing he did not like about it was the American accent.

Glenn

Love in Christ
Marty

Cool, Thanks Richard.

Richard

Richard

Love in Christ
Marty

Hi,

Glenn

Richard Turner

Stephen Hawking's synth was Perfect Paul, which was either Decktalk or Double Talk, but I suspect DekTalk.
There was a really good interview with the daughter of the synth inventor and Stephen HawkingS daughter on the BBC in context of doing a history on the synth this morning, which I think was a rebroadcast.

Richard

On Nov 25, 2019, at 8:11 AM, JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:

Glenn

Love in Christ
Marty

Cool, Thanks Richard.

Richard

Richard

Love in Christ
Marty

Hi,

Glenn

Mich Verrier

The synth that Stephen Hawking used was from a CallText 5010 speech system and hear’s a interesting artickle about it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/27/597390626/an-engineers-quest-to-save-stephen-hawkings-voice

from Mich.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: November 25, 2019 10:51 AM

Love in Christ
Marty

Cool, Thanks Richard.

Richard

Richard

Love in Christ
Marty

Hi,

Glenn

Dave Durber

Perfect Paul was a DEC-Talk Voice

Dave Durber

Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 4:35 PM

Stephen Hawking's synth was Perfect Paul, which was either Decktalk or Double Talk, but I suspect DekTalk.
There was a really good interview with the daughter of the synth inventor and Stephen HawkingS daughter on the BBC in context of doing a history on the synth this morning, which I think was a rebroadcast.

Richard

Glenn

Love in Christ
Marty

Cool, Thanks Richard.

Richard

Richard

Love in Christ
Marty

Hi,

Glenn

Richard Turner

That is what I was thinking, but I never owned the decktalk, but I had the double talk in a desktop almost 30 years ago, and now have the Triple Talk which I use once in a while.
It has a voice similar to Perfect Paul, but not quite as good.
Glad to have that settled for sure
I may have to listen to more Limp Biskit, a group I had not paid attention to before this thread got started.

Richard

On Nov 27, 2019, at 7:57 AM, Dave Durber <d.durber@...> wrote:

Perfect Paul was a DEC-Talk Voice

Dave Durber

Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 4:35 PM

Richard

Glenn

Love in Christ
Marty

Cool, Thanks Richard.

Richard

Richard

Love in Christ
Marty

Hi,

Glenn