Topics

moderated clarification on setting place markers on websites

Van Lant, Robin

Using JAWS 2019.  Like many of you, I jump between a couple different browsers depending on what I’m doing.  Here at work, I have a couple internal company sites that are cluttered, so I’m setting place markers to get to pertinent parts of the screen.   I’d like to clarify my understanding, since I’m still new to doing this with JAWS.

For one page, I added a place marker at a line of text above a bunch of buttons I use.  I think I set this PlaceMarkers while using IE 11.  If I open the page in Chrome and hit K, it takes me to a different spot on the page.   In the second case, I set a place marker  at the top of the main section of a page where the company posts news stories.  The K key works as expected in IE 11, but JAWS says there are no place markers when I open the page in Chrome.

Questions:

Are place markers specific to the browser or to the URL?  In other words, should I be able to set a place marker and have it work on any browser I open the page in?

Second, if the above is true, what could I do differently in my first example where the place marker takes me to the right spot in IE 11, but to a spot earlier on the page in Chrome.  For context, this page is set up with a top navigation bar, a left nav, then two columns of information in the middle.  My place marker is supposed to go to the top of the right column and, within Chrome, takes me to a point near the bottom of the left column, about 2 inches visually below and 1 inch visually left of where I intended the place marker.   There  are a number of settings in that place marker dialog, so I must have done it incorrectly.  I think in Window Eyes I would select the text on the screen, then set the place marker.  At least with one of these above, I think I put the cursor just before the line of text when I set the marker, but it labeled the place marker with the full line of text, so I figured I had done it right.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager, Strategy & Performance Management

Key Equipment Finance | 720-304-1060 |  www.keyequipmentfinance.com

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Maria Campbell

You need to anchor your text to your place marker, so that it goes to the same place each time.  As for JAWS place markers working in other browsers other than IE, I've not tried to check this out.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

On 11/21/2019 12:46 PM, Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

David Griffith

As I understand it placemarkers are browser specific so yes you have to add placemarkers  for each browser you use.

I think placemarkers on a page are disturbed if there is dynamic content on a page – have you tried checking the option “Anchor to text”.

David Griffith

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Robin,

David and Maria have already addressed your questions. I can confirm that placemarkers do not work across browsers. One more thought.

I have found that putting a placemarker on a link makes it the most reliable. I wonder if David’s comment about dynamic content explains why. Regardless, like you, I place focus at the beginning of a line, then set the placemarker. Like Maria, I anchor it to text.

[...]

Thanks all.  Glad to understand this better.  I need to get better about using place markers for some of my more challenging internal company websites.  Funny how we can just forget about features.

It has already been a big help in our timekeeping system and I’m going to see if it will help with a couple other places that aren’t very accessible.

[...]

In my humble opinion, place markers is one of the best aspects of JAWS and why I keep up with it.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...