missing shortcut error message

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

This is even more true if it  was an external drive to begin with.  However, if the drive was in the damaged case, and if it’s a traditional mechanical drive, I wouldn’t expect too much from it anyway.  We’ve all been warned against moving our PC’s when turned on; as in :”Oh well, I just trashed my 3GB storage device, but I sure nailed that paper clip.”  I guess the proliferation of solid-state drives will change that situation over time.

Ted

From: HAMILTON [mailto:jim.hamilton@...]
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2016 12:02 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: missing shortcut error message

it may not be fixed right away. : This won't solve your problem with shortcuts; but, you said something in your message that sounds "fishy" to me. You were told that it would be very expensive to remove your hard drive from your crashed machine and install your hard drive into another PC. Well, A friend of mine has done this for me a number of times over the last couple of decades, and it generally takes him anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes. In fact, I am sure that he could instruct me on how to do it myself rather easily. Now, you may not be "technically" inclined; but, that does not mean that people should be taking advantage of you regarding repair costs. Of course, if you have an extremely unusual, complicated PC configuration, requiring much time to get at the hard-drive connection points, ignore the above; but, I do not think that should be the case. Also, I too wonder if moving from XP to Win7 may have anything to do with this. So, I will watch, with interest, for further messages on this subject. Jim H

If an external drive has either been, literally, burned up in its enclosure by some external heat source or subject to a true dropping incident that most often will effectively destroy the drive and the only way to recover data then is to send it out to someone who can do data recovery.  I can assure you, that routinely costs in the hundreds of dollars at a minimum.

I mention this because, based on what I got from what Doug originally posted, this is not an instance of someone trying to scam him, but giving it to him straight.  I could be wrong if the drive itself is not effectively destroyed, but that's not what was presented, and I have no reason to doubt the original description.

Transferring an intact disc drive, whether external or internal, to a new computer or external case is, indeed, a simple process.

Brian

HAMILTON

it may not be fixed right away. : This won't solve your problem with shortcuts; but, you said something in your message that sounds "fishie" to me. You were told that it would be very expensive to remove your hard drive from your crashed machine and install your hard drive into another PC. Well, A friend of mine has done this for me a number of times over the last couple of decades, and it generally takes him anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes. In fact, I am sure that he could instruct me on how to do it myself rather easily. Now, you may not be "technically" inclined; but, that does not mean that people should be taking advantage of you regarding repair costs. Of course, if you have an extremely unusual, complicated PC configuration, requiring much time to get at the hard-drive connection points, ignore the above; but, I do not think that should be the case. Also, I too wonder if moving from XP to Win7 may have anything to do with this. So, I will watch, with interest, for further messages on this subject. Jim H

Dave...

Doug,

Reinstall those programs on your new machine, or delete the offending
shortcuts.

Dave Carlson