missing shortcut error message

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

This is even more true if it  was an external drive to begin with.  However, if the drive was in the damaged case, and if it’s a traditional mechanical drive, I wouldn’t expect too much from it anyway.  We’ve all been warned against moving our PC’s when turned on; as in :”Oh well, I just trashed my 3GB storage device, but I sure nailed that paper clip.”  I guess the proliferation of solid-state drives will change that situation over time.

Ted

Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2016 12:02 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: missing shortcut error message

it may not be fixed right away. : This won't solve your problem with shortcuts; but, you said something in your message that sounds "fishy" to me. You were told that it would be very expensive to remove your hard drive from your crashed machine and install your hard drive into another PC. Well, A friend of mine has done this for me a number of times over the last couple of decades, and it generally takes him anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes. In fact, I am sure that he could instruct me on how to do it myself rather easily. Now, you may not be "technically" inclined; but, that does not mean that people should be taking advantage of you regarding repair costs. Of course, if you have an extremely unusual, complicated PC configuration, requiring much time to get at the hard-drive connection points, ignore the above; but, I do not think that should be the case. Also, I too wonder if moving from XP to Win7 may have anything to do with this. So, I will watch, with interest, for further messages on this subject. Jim H

If an external drive has either been, literally, burned up in its enclosure by some external heat source or subject to a true dropping incident that most often will effectively destroy the drive and the only way to recover data then is to send it out to someone who can do data recovery.  I can assure you, that routinely costs in the hundreds of dollars at a minimum.

I mention this because, based on what I got from what Doug originally posted, this is not an instance of someone trying to scam him, but giving it to him straight.  I could be wrong if the drive itself is not effectively destroyed, but that's not what was presented, and I have no reason to doubt the original description.

Transferring an intact disc drive, whether external or internal, to a new computer or external case is, indeed, a simple process.

Brian

HAMILTON

it may not be fixed right away. : This won't solve your problem with shortcuts; but, you said something in your message that sounds "fishie" to me. You were told that it would be very expensive to remove your hard drive from your crashed machine and install your hard drive into another PC. Well, A friend of mine has done this for me a number of times over the last couple of decades, and it generally takes him anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes. In fact, I am sure that he could instruct me on how to do it myself rather easily. Now, you may not be "technically" inclined; but, that does not mean that people should be taking advantage of you regarding repair costs. Of course, if you have an extremely unusual, complicated PC configuration, requiring much time to get at the hard-drive connection points, ignore the above; but, I do not think that should be the case. Also, I too wonder if moving from XP to Win7 may have anything to do with this. So, I will watch, with interest, for further messages on this subject. Jim H

Dave...

Doug,

Reinstall those programs on your new machine, or delete the offending
shortcuts.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

----- Original Message -----
From: "douglas richard dexheimer" <drichardd@earthlink.net>
To: <jfw@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2016 08:57 PM
Subject: missing shortcut error message

when i try to open certain programs (created on an older desktop windows
xp computer) from the desktop or start menu on this windows 7 machine, i
get a shortcut error message along these lines:
Problem with Shortcut
The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Hope.lnk' (or some
other application i'm trying to launch) refers to is unavailable. Make
sure that
the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and
then try again.
OK
how can i get rid of this error when opening programs on my desktop or
start menu? i had these programs copied on an external hard drive when
my windows xp computer crashed, and managed to copy a few on this
machine. but recently the external drive (or the enclosure case it was
in) got burned up or dropped and is no longer useable. (i took the
drive to a microcenter store, but they said it would be very costly to
take the drive out of its case and insert it into a new one.) is there
a way to eliminate shortcut problems with programs on my desktop, so i
can open them? a temporary workaround may be trying different shortcut
key combinations to see what program each shortcut opens, searching for
a particular program on the desktop, start menu, downloads, etc.
changing its shortcut key combination, then trying to open the app using
the newly created shortcut (once i determine no other program is opened
by or was stored under the same shortcut). might this error be a
security feature of windows 7 when trying to open a program for which a
shortcut key was created on a windows xp system? thanks.
--
Douglas Richard Dexheimer
Chief of Braille Productions
Born-Again Productions
The Friedman Place, Apt.308
5527 N. Maplewood Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625
cell phone 913-244-0612
drichardd@earthlink.net

Douglas,

If I'm reading you correctly you are saying:

1. The actual executable files for the programs you are trying to run were resident on an external hard drive that no longer exists.

2. Said programs were "portable"/stand-alone type, that is, you didn't run an install process but could copy the .exe file where you wanted it and run it.

If that's the case, and the only location where you had copies of those programs are on that now defunct external drive, and the shortcuts were created such that they point to a location on that now defunct external drive, there is no way to eliminate the message.  It's accurate, a valid path to the file, which is a part of the shortcut, no longer exists.

If you copied some of these executables over to any other drive that's still alive you should simply delete the existing shortcuts from your desktop and create new ones from the executable files where they reside now.

Brian

douglas richard dexheimer

when i try to open certain programs (created on an older desktop windows xp computer) from the desktop or start menu on this windows 7 machine, i get a shortcut error message along these lines:
Problem with Shortcut
The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Hope.lnk' (or some other application i'm trying to launch) refers to is unavailable. Make sure that
the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again.
OK
how can i get rid of this error when opening programs on my desktop or start menu? i had these programs copied on an external hard drive when my windows xp computer crashed, and managed to copy a few on this machine. but recently the external drive (or the enclosure case it was in) got burned up or dropped and is no longer useable. (i took the drive to a microcenter store, but they said it would be very costly to take the drive out of its case and insert it into a new one.) is there a way to eliminate shortcut problems with programs on my desktop, so i can open them? a temporary workaround may be trying different shortcut key combinations to see what program each shortcut opens, searching for a particular program on the desktop, start menu, downloads, etc. changing its shortcut key combination, then trying to open the app using the newly created shortcut (once i determine no other program is opened by or was stored under the same shortcut). might this error be a security feature of windows 7 when trying to open a program for which a shortcut key was created on a windows xp system? thanks.
--
Douglas Richard Dexheimer
Chief of Braille Productions
Born-Again Productions
The Friedman Place, Apt.308
5527 N. Maplewood Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625
cell phone 913-244-0612
drichardd@earthlink.net