JAWS 17 vague and indistinct on my new laptop: What I have tried, what should I try next?

Tim Ford

Hi All,

The issue I would like to put before this expert and experienced group of JAWS users is as follows.

If I speed up JAWS to the rate I have used for years (50% (AKA speed 96) on the JAWS scale), the usual clarity of the Eloquence voice degrades under certain circumstances, resulting in the first letter or syllable becoming vague and indistinct, and uncertain to the point where I too often need to resort to that command to have JAWS give the military alphabet thing, a for alpha, b for bravo, etc.  This really slows me down when writing or editing in Word or on Outlook, and I do a lot of writing and editing!

This problem was present from the beginning on my new Asus brand laptop, which is fairly robust in terms of speed and ram, way more RAM than I had on my previous computers, and this problem did not exist.  I am running JAWS 17, the final release, and the very latest update to Windows 10.. 

At the suggestion of Freedom Scientific tech support, I first updated the drivers for the 2 built-in sound cards that came standard on the machine.  I also confirmed that the sound card special effects were turned off.  No improvement.  By the way, I had Microsoft remote in and handle those sound card driver updates since I live alone, and was concerned I could lose all sound, and have to go find a working pair of eyes to walk them through getting one of the sound cards speaking!

FS tech support then remoted in to my machine, and ran what they described as an especially thorough and deep version of the JAWS repair feature.  Problem still there; I cannot run JAWS at my usual speed, I have to slow it down, and the problem disappears.  Ironically, it acts as if I had a really old and slow computer, where the opposite is the case.

FS support then suggested trying other JAWS voices, while acknowledging that Eloquence was normally what folks found to be the most responsive and clear when run at my speed, which is around 50.

With the above in mind, what available JAWS voices, if any, would have the best chance of working for my purposes?

FS support, as usual, suggested I try version 18.  At least this time they first checked and noted I did not have JAWS rights past version 17, and did not push me to try JAWS 18 or 2018.  I would, for cost reasons, prefer to get JAWS 17 working the way it did on all my previous computers!  If trying other voices does not work, then I will try 18 and 201, in demo mode.

So, any voice recommendations are greatly appreciated.  If you think I should instead buy and try a USB sound card, do you have a recommendation on a good USB sound card that does not cost a fortune?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tim Ford

John Covici

You should probably try Jaws 18 in demo mode anyway, no harm done. I
would try vocalizer expressive and see how you like it.

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 16:05:42 -0400,
Tim Ford wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
[2 <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
Hi All,

The issue I would like to put before this expert and experienced group of JAWS users is as follows.

If I speed up JAWS to the rate I have used for years (50% (AKA speed 96) on the JAWS scale), the usual clarity of the Eloquence voice degrades under certain circumstances, resulting in the first letter or syllable becoming vague and
indistinct, and uncertain to the point where I too often need to resort to that command to have JAWS give the military alphabet thing, a for alpha, b for bravo, etc. This really slows me down when writing or editing in Word or on
Outlook, and I do a lot of writing and editing!

This problem was present from the beginning on my new Asus brand laptop, which is fairly robust in terms of speed and ram, way more RAM than I had on my previous computers, and this problem did not exist. I am running JAWS 17, the final
release, and the very latest update to Windows 10..

At the suggestion of Freedom Scientific tech support, I first updated the drivers for the 2 built-in sound cards that came standard on the machine. I also confirmed that the sound card special effects were turned off. No improvement. By
the way, I had Microsoft remote in and handle those sound card driver updates since I live alone, and was concerned I could lose all sound, and have to go find a working pair of eyes to walk them through getting one of the sound cards
speaking!

FS tech support then remoted in to my machine, and ran what they described as an especially thorough and deep version of the JAWS repair feature. Problem still there; I cannot run JAWS at my usual speed, I have to slow it down, and the
problem disappears. Ironically, it acts as if I had a really old and slow computer, where the opposite is the case.

FS support then suggested trying other JAWS voices, while acknowledging that Eloquence was normally what folks found to be the most responsive and clear when run at my speed, which is around 50.

With the above in mind, what available JAWS voices, if any, would have the best chance of working for my purposes?

FS support, as usual, suggested I try version 18. At least this time they first checked and noted I did not have JAWS rights past version 17, and did not push me to try JAWS 18 or 2018. I would, for cost reasons, prefer to get JAWS 17
working the way it did on all my previous computers! If trying other voices does not work, then I will try 18 and 201, in demo mode.

So, any voice recommendations are greatly appreciated. If you think I should instead buy and try a USB sound card, do you have a recommendation on a good USB sound card that does not cost a fortune?

Tim Ford

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Soronel Haetir

On-board audio is very often of low quality even on otherwise good
systems. I would suggest you find a pair of headphones (either USB or
3.5mm audio jack, doesn't matter for this test) and check whether the
problem remains when using a different output. It may simply be that
the built-in speakers will not give good enough results to use at the
speed you would like.

On 9/28/17, John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

Tim Ford wrote:

[2 <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
Hi All,

The issue I would like to put before this expert and experienced group of
JAWS users is as follows.

If I speed up JAWS to the rate I have used for years (50% (AKA speed 96)
on the JAWS scale), the usual clarity of the Eloquence voice degrades
under certain circumstances, resulting in the first letter or syllable
becoming vague and
indistinct, and uncertain to the point where I too often need to resort to
that command to have JAWS give the military alphabet thing, a for alpha, b
for bravo, etc. This really slows me down when writing or editing in Word
or on
Outlook, and I do a lot of writing and editing!

This problem was present from the beginning on my new Asus brand laptop,
which is fairly robust in terms of speed and ram, way more RAM than I had
on my previous computers, and this problem did not exist. I am running
JAWS 17, the final
release, and the very latest update to Windows 10..

At the suggestion of Freedom Scientific tech support, I first updated the
drivers for the 2 built-in sound cards that came standard on the machine.
I also confirmed that the sound card special effects were turned off. No
improvement. By
the way, I had Microsoft remote in and handle those sound card driver
updates since I live alone, and was concerned I could lose all sound, and
have to go find a working pair of eyes to walk them through getting one of
the sound cards
speaking!

FS tech support then remoted in to my machine, and ran what they described
as an especially thorough and deep version of the JAWS repair feature.
Problem still there; I cannot run JAWS at my usual speed, I have to slow
it down, and the
problem disappears. Ironically, it acts as if I had a really old and slow
computer, where the opposite is the case.

FS support then suggested trying other JAWS voices, while acknowledging
that Eloquence was normally what folks found to be the most responsive and
clear when run at my speed, which is around 50.

With the above in mind, what available JAWS voices, if any, would have the
best chance of working for my purposes?

FS support, as usual, suggested I try version 18. At least this time they
first checked and noted I did not have JAWS rights past version 17, and
did not push me to try JAWS 18 or 2018. I would, for cost reasons, prefer
to get JAWS 17
working the way it did on all my previous computers! If trying other
voices does not work, then I will try 18 and 201, in demo mode.

So, any voice recommendations are greatly appreciated. If you think I
should instead buy and try a USB sound card, do you have a recommendation
on a good USB sound card that does not cost a fortune?

Tim Ford

--
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

dennis

i have always had great success using shelly. i put the pitch at 70 and my speed is 35. she works great.

On 9/28/2017 3:05 PM, Tim Ford wrote:

Hi All,

If I speed up JAWS to the rate I have used for years (50% (AKA speed 96) on the JAWS scale), the usual clarity of the Eloquence voice degrades under certain circumstances, resulting in the first letter or syllable becoming vague and indistinct, and uncertain to the point where I too often need to resort to that command to have JAWS give the military alphabet thing, a for alpha, b for bravo, etc.  This really slows me down when writing or editing in Word or on Outlook, and I do a lot of writing and editing!

This problem was present from the beginning on my new Asus brand laptop, which is fairly robust in terms of speed and ram, way more RAM than I had on my previous computers, and this problem did not exist.  I am running JAWS 17, the final release, and the very latest update to Windows 10.. 

At the suggestion of Freedom Scientific tech support, I first updated the drivers for the 2 built-in sound cards that came standard on the machine.  I also confirmed that the sound card special effects were turned off.  No improvement.  By the way, I had Microsoft remote in and handle those sound card driver updates since I live alone, and was concerned I could lose all sound, and have to go find a working pair of eyes to walk them through getting one of the sound cards speaking!

FS tech support then remoted in to my machine, and ran what they described as an especially thorough and deep version of the JAWS repair feature.  Problem still there; I cannot run JAWS at my usual speed, I have to slow it down, and the problem disappears.  Ironically, it acts as if I had a really old and slow computer, where the opposite is the case.

FS support, as usual, suggested I try version 18.  At least this time they first checked and noted I did not have JAWS rights past version 17, and did not push me to try JAWS 18 or 2018.  I would, for cost reasons, prefer to get JAWS 17 working the way it did on all my previous computers!  If trying other voices does not work, then I will try 18 and 201, in demo mode.

So, any voice recommendations are greatly appreciated.  If you think I should instead buy and try a USB sound card, do you have a recommendation on a good USB sound card that does not cost a fortune?

Tim Ford

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Tim Ford

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I am already using headphones. What has been suggested to me is to try an external USB sound card. There are other JAWS performance issues such as strange lags, pops, clicks, and generally not fun. Not terrible, but with all the time I spend on the computer, it is worth it to me to invest even more money, such as to buy the sound card.

Tim Ford

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Soronel Haetir
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 1:53 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS 17 vague and indistinct on my new laptop: What I have tried, what should I try next?

On-board audio is very often of low quality even on otherwise good systems. I would suggest you find a pair of headphones (either USB or 3.5mm audio jack, doesn't matter for this test) and check whether the problem remains when using a different output. It may simply be that the built-in speakers will not give good enough results to use at the speed you would like.

Tim Ford wrote:

[2 <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>] Hi All,

The issue I would like to put before this expert and experienced
group of JAWS users is as follows.

If I speed up JAWS to the rate I have used for years (50% (AKA speed
96) on the JAWS scale), the usual clarity of the Eloquence voice
degrades under certain circumstances, resulting in the first letter
or syllable becoming vague and indistinct, and uncertain to the point
where I too often need to resort to that command to have JAWS give
the military alphabet thing, a for alpha, b for bravo, etc. This
really slows me down when writing or editing in Word or on Outlook,
and I do a lot of writing and editing!

This problem was present from the beginning on my new Asus brand
laptop, which is fairly robust in terms of speed and ram, way more
RAM than I had on my previous computers, and this problem did not
exist. I am running JAWS 17, the final release, and the very latest
update to Windows 10..

At the suggestion of Freedom Scientific tech support, I first updated
the drivers for the 2 built-in sound cards that came standard on the machine.
I also confirmed that the sound card special effects were turned off.
No improvement. By the way, I had Microsoft remote in and handle
those sound card driver updates since I live alone, and was concerned
I could lose all sound, and have to go find a working pair of eyes to
walk them through getting one of the sound cards speaking!

FS tech support then remoted in to my machine, and ran what they
described as an especially thorough and deep version of the JAWS repair feature.
Problem still there; I cannot run JAWS at my usual speed, I have to
slow it down, and the problem disappears. Ironically, it acts as if I
had a really old and slow computer, where the opposite is the case.

FS support then suggested trying other JAWS voices, while
acknowledging that Eloquence was normally what folks found to be the
most responsive and clear when run at my speed, which is around 50.

With the above in mind, what available JAWS voices, if any, would
have the best chance of working for my purposes?

FS support, as usual, suggested I try version 18. At least this time
they first checked and noted I did not have JAWS rights past version
17, and did not push me to try JAWS 18 or 2018. I would, for cost
reasons, prefer to get JAWS 17 working the way it did on all my
previous computers! If trying other voices does not work, then I will
try 18 and 201, in demo mode.

should instead buy and try a USB sound card, do you have a
recommendation on a good USB sound card that does not cost a fortune?

Tim Ford

--
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hi Dennis,

I just for the fun of it tried your settings with Shelley and I better not do it or tomorrow you all will read about how a blind guy went on a murder rampage in a small town in Canada *smile*.

I have my speed set at 55 because anything less drives me nuts and I guess I just happen to like a low pitch.

As for Tim, I am not sure what causes your issue, as I said I run Eloquence at 55 and I also have an Asus laptop as well as several desktop computers. What pitch do you use, Tim?

I do, by the way, highly doubt upgrading to Jaws 18 would make any difference since it’s not like Eloquence in Jaws 18 is different from Eloquence in any other version of Jaws. You could always try it by downloading Jaws 18 because you could run it in 40-minute demo mode as often as you like so you would get a good idea about how it is.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of dennis
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: JAWS 17 vague and indistinct on my new laptop: What I have tried, what should I try next?

i have always had great success using shelly. i put the pitch at 70 and my speed is 35. she works great.

On 9/28/2017 3:05 PM, Tim Ford wrote:

Hi All,

Tim Ford

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I know you said you disabled effects, but it totally sounds to me like something is still enabled which causes this.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim Ford
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:02 PM

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I am already using headphones. What has been suggested to me is to try an external USB sound card. There are other JAWS performance issues such as strange lags, pops, clicks, and generally not fun. Not terrible, but with all the time I spend on the computer, it is worth it to me to invest even more money, such as to buy the sound card.

Tim Ford

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Soronel Haetir

On-board audio is very often of low quality even on otherwise good systems. I would suggest you find a pair of headphones (either USB or 3.5mm audio jack, doesn't matter for this test) and check whether the problem remains when using a different output. It may simply be that the built-in speakers will not give good enough results to use at the speed you would like.

Tim Ford wrote:

update to Windows 10..

described as an especially thorough and deep version of the JAWS repair feature.

Tim Ford

--
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Do you have audio ducking on by any chance? If so turn it off

On 9/28/2017 1:05 PM, Tim Ford wrote:

Hi All,

Tim Ford

-- 
Sincereley: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.
707-502-5575
1897 SE Dr.
Grants Pass, Or. 97526

Jonas Voll

Hey, Tim Ford!
If you get a new sound card I recommend one that will support Stereo Mix or what you hear is what you get!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration for the blind and visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 5:38 PM

I know you said you disabled effects, but it totally sounds to me like something is still enabled which causes this.

Tim Ford

Tim Ford wrote:

update to Windows 10..

Tim Ford

--
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

SonicWall identified this message as clean.
To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com and logon with your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 'spam@nospam.envisionus.com'
NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system.

Tim Ford

Hello Jonas,

Thank you very much for mentioning that. I had assumed that all USB sound cards would be stereo. Is there something more than that I should look for in the specifications? Any particular recommended USB sound cards?

I did try JAWS 2018 BETA, but it did not change the JAWS sound, as most of you predicted. I did want to try 2018 since I assume it would give better overall performance with web pages that use the latest and greatest visual designs. However, I found that 2018 was terrible with my Office 2010 programs, and somehow also affected my JAWS 17, which suddenly was doing a lot of sluggish things, going silent for a good minute or so, and common operations, such as spellcheck, were real problems in Outlook. I removed JAWS 2018, and my problems cleared up; JAWS 17 is back to what qualifies by today's standards as working well.

So USB sound card shopping I will go, after I receive whatever guidance this great group can provide!

Sincerely,
Tim Ford

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jonas Voll
Sent: Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:57 PM

Hey, Tim Ford!
If you get a new sound card I recommend one that will support Stereo Mix or what you hear is what you get!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration for the blind and visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel

Tim Ford

Tim Ford wrote:

update to Windows 10..

Tim Ford

--
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com and logon with your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 'spam@nospam.envisionus.com'
NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system.

Soronel Haetir

I don't bother with an actual USB sound card, I just use USB
headphones and the on-board audio quality issue is taken care of. The
sound card is only necessary if you wish to use standalone speakers
but honestly I prefer the headphones because I can turn them down
extremely low and still hear. As long as the cheapest end of the range
is avoided I have been happy with just about every set I've purchased
($30 and up). The ones I have now are logictech something or other,
capable of 3D sound but I don't use that ability (I barely use
left-right mixing, let alone forward-back or up-down).

On 10/5/17, Tim Ford <ttford@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Jonas,

Thank you very much for mentioning that. I had assumed that all USB sound
cards would be stereo. Is there something more than that I should look for
in the specifications? Any particular recommended USB sound cards?

I did try JAWS 2018 BETA, but it did not change the JAWS sound, as most of
you predicted. I did want to try 2018 since I assume it would give better
overall performance with web pages that use the latest and greatest visual
designs. However, I found that 2018 was terrible with my Office 2010
programs, and somehow also affected my JAWS 17, which suddenly was doing a
lot of sluggish things, going silent for a good minute or so, and common
operations, such as spellcheck, were real problems in Outlook. I removed
JAWS 2018, and my problems cleared up; JAWS 17 is back to what qualifies by
today's standards as working well.

So USB sound card shopping I will go, after I receive whatever guidance this
great group can provide!

Sincerely,
Tim Ford

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jonas
Voll
Subject: Re: JAWS 17 vague and indistinct on my new laptop: What I have
tried, what should I try next?

Hey, Tim Ford!
If you get a new sound card I recommend one that will support Stereo Mix or
what you hear is what you get!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration for the
blind and visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation,
education and research.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel

I know you said you disabled effects, but it totally sounds to me like
something is still enabled which causes this.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I am already using headphones. What
has been suggested to me is to try an external USB sound card. There are
other JAWS performance issues such as strange lags, pops, clicks, and
generally not fun. Not terrible, but with all the time I spend on the
computer, it is worth it to me to invest even more money, such as to buy the
sound card.

Tim Ford

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Soronel
Haetir

On-board audio is very often of low quality even on otherwise good systems.
I would suggest you find a pair of headphones (either USB or 3.5mm audio
jack, doesn't matter for this test) and check whether the problem remains
when using a different output. It may simply be that the built-in speakers
will not give good enough results to use at the speed you would like.

Tim Ford wrote:

update to Windows 10..

the drivers for the 2 built-in sound cards that came standard on the
machine.

described as an especially thorough and deep version of the JAWS repair
feature.

Tim Ford

--
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com and logon with
your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to
'spam@nospam.envisionus.com'
NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are
confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual
or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution
or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in
error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies
of this message from your computer system.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

I honestly dont think a different soundcard is going to help. Even cheap onboard sound is up to handling jaws. Unless your soundcard has a hardware issue it is most likely a software issue. I have had over a dozen computers and laptops and not one had a problem with Jaws. Speaking of cheap what kind of Digital to analog chip do you think they put in a usb dongle that comes with a 30 dollor set of headphones?

On 10/5/2017 10:37 PM, Soronel Haetir wrote:

Hello Jonas,

Thank you very much for mentioning that. I had assumed that all USB sound
cards would be stereo. Is there something more than that I should look for
in the specifications? Any particular recommended USB sound cards?

you predicted. I did want to try 2018 since I assume it would give better
designs. However, I found that 2018 was terrible with my Office 2010
operations, such as spellcheck, were real problems in Outlook. I removed

great group can provide!

Sincerely,
Tim Ford

Voll

Hey, Tim Ford!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
www.envisionus.com

education and research.

Weitzel

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I am already using headphones. What
has been suggested to me is to try an external USB sound card. There are
generally not fun. Not terrible, but with all the time I spend on the
sound card.

Tim Ford

Haetir

Tim Ford wrote:

update to Windows 10..

machine.

feature.

Tim Ford

--
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

--
Owner of Soundtique.
707-502-5575
1897 SE Dr.
Grants Pass, Or. 97526

How does the laptop handle movies or music? If it sounds fine with those it is a Jaws issue. If they sound bad also it is a soundcard issue. But It could be software or hardware. 99% of the time my sound was hollow or vague sounding it was some effect or enhancement that was making it sound bad. I know you have been through this. So  if it isnt Jaws perhaps you should uninstall the soundcard driver and reinstall the latest driver. If it is Jaws then do a Jaws repair useing the /type repair.

On 10/5/2017 11:18 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
I honestly dont think a different soundcard is going to help. Even cheap onboard sound is up to handling jaws. Unless your soundcard has a hardware issue it is most likely a software issue. I have had over a dozen computers and laptops and not one had a problem with Jaws. Speaking of cheap what kind of Digital to analog chip do you think they put in a usb dongle that comes with a 30 dollor set of headphones?
On 10/5/2017 10:37 PM, Soronel Haetir wrote:

Hello Jonas,

Thank you very much for mentioning that.  I had assumed that all USB sound
cards would be stereo.  Is there something more than that I should look for
in the specifications?  Any particular recommended USB sound cards?

you predicted.  I did want to try 2018 since I assume it would give better
designs.  However, I found that 2018 was terrible with my Office 2010
operations, such as spellcheck, were real problems in Outlook.  I removed

great group can provide!

Sincerely,
Tim Ford

Voll

Hey, Tim Ford!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita,  KS 67213
www.envisionus.com

education and research.

Weitzel

Thanks for all the feedback so far.  I am already using headphones.  What
has been suggested to me is to try an external USB sound card.  There are
generally not fun.  Not terrible, but with all the time I spend on the
sound card.

Tim Ford

Haetir

You should probably try Jaws 18 in demo mode anyway, no harm done.  I

Tim Ford wrote:
[1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
[2  <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>] Hi All,

update to Windows 10..

machine.

feature.

Tim Ford

--
Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
          covici@ccs.covici.com

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

--
Owner of Soundtique.
707-502-5575
1897 SE Dr.
Grants Pass, Or. 97526

Jonas Voll

Hey, Tim Ford
Stereo & stereo mix is not the same thing!
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+stereo+mix&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjH-afO_NvWAhVhw4MKHcuYCjYQvwUIJSgA&biw=960&bih=478
I like the sound blaster hardware!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
www.envisionus.com

Sent: Thursday, October 5, 2017 4:48 PM

Hello Jonas,

Thank you very much for mentioning that. I had assumed that all USB sound cards would be stereo. Is there something more than that I should look for in the specifications? Any particular recommended USB sound cards?

I did try JAWS 2018 BETA, but it did not change the JAWS sound, as most of you predicted. I did want to try 2018 since I assume it would give better overall performance with web pages that use the latest and greatest visual designs. However, I found that 2018 was terrible with my Office 2010 programs, and somehow also affected my JAWS 17, which suddenly was doing a lot of sluggish things, going silent for a good minute or so, and common operations, such as spellcheck, were real problems in Outlook. I removed JAWS 2018, and my problems cleared up; JAWS 17 is back to what qualifies by today's standards as working well.

So USB sound card shopping I will go, after I receive whatever guidance this great group can provide!

Sincerely,
Tim Ford

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jonas Voll

Hey, Tim Ford!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
www.envisionus.com

Tim Ford

Tim Ford wrote:

update to Windows 10..

Tim Ford

--
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com