JAWS 17 vague and indistinct on my new laptop: What I have tried, what should I try next?

Tim Ford

Hi All,

The issue I would like to put before this expert and experienced group of JAWS users is as follows.

If I speed up JAWS to the rate I have used for years (50% (AKA speed 96) on the JAWS scale), the usual clarity of the Eloquence voice degrades under certain circumstances, resulting in the first letter or syllable becoming vague and indistinct, and uncertain to the point where I too often need to resort to that command to have JAWS give the military alphabet thing, a for alpha, b for bravo, etc.  This really slows me down when writing or editing in Word or on Outlook, and I do a lot of writing and editing!

This problem was present from the beginning on my new Asus brand laptop, which is fairly robust in terms of speed and ram, way more RAM than I had on my previous computers, and this problem did not exist.  I am running JAWS 17, the final release, and the very latest update to Windows 10..

At the suggestion of Freedom Scientific tech support, I first updated the drivers for the 2 built-in sound cards that came standard on the machine.  I also confirmed that the sound card special effects were turned off.  No improvement.  By the way, I had Microsoft remote in and handle those sound card driver updates since I live alone, and was concerned I could lose all sound, and have to go find a working pair of eyes to walk them through getting one of the sound cards speaking!

FS tech support then remoted in to my machine, and ran what they described as an especially thorough and deep version of the JAWS repair feature.  Problem still there; I cannot run JAWS at my usual speed, I have to slow it down, and the problem disappears.  Ironically, it acts as if I had a really old and slow computer, where the opposite is the case.

FS support then suggested trying other JAWS voices, while acknowledging that Eloquence was normally what folks found to be the most responsive and clear when run at my speed, which is around 50.

With the above in mind, what available JAWS voices, if any, would have the best chance of working for my purposes?

FS support, as usual, suggested I try version 18.  At least this time they first checked and noted I did not have JAWS rights past version 17, and did not push me to try JAWS 18 or 2018.  I would, for cost reasons, prefer to get JAWS 17 working the way it did on all my previous computers!  If trying other voices does not work, then I will try 18 and 201, in demo mode.

So, any voice recommendations are greatly appreciated.  If you think I should instead buy and try a USB sound card, do you have a recommendation on a good USB sound card that does not cost a fortune?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tim Ford

John Covici

You should probably try Jaws 18 in demo mode anyway, no harm done. I
would try vocalizer expressive and see how you like it.

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 16:05:42 -0400,
Tim Ford wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
[...]

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Soronel Haetir

On-board audio is very often of low quality even on otherwise good
systems. I would suggest you find a pair of headphones (either USB or
3.5mm audio jack, doesn't matter for this test) and check whether the
problem remains when using a different output. It may simply be that
the built-in speakers will not give good enough results to use at the
speed you would like.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

dennis

i have always had great success using shelly. i put the pitch at 70 and my speed is 35. she works great.

On 9/28/2017 3:05 PM, Tim Ford wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I am already using headphones. What has been suggested to me is to try an external USB sound card. There are other JAWS performance issues such as strange lags, pops, clicks, and generally not fun. Not terrible, but with all the time I spend on the computer, it is worth it to me to invest even more money, such as to buy the sound card.

Tim Ford

On-board audio is very often of low quality even on otherwise good systems. I would suggest you find a pair of headphones (either USB or 3.5mm audio jack, doesn't matter for this test) and check whether the problem remains when using a different output. It may simply be that the built-in speakers will not give good enough results to use at the speed you would like.

On 9/28/17, John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
You should probably try Jaws 18 in demo mode anyway, no harm done. I
would try vocalizer expressive and see how you like it.

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 16:05:42 -0400,
Tim Ford wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
[2 <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>] Hi All,

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hi Dennis,

I just for the fun of it tried your settings with Shelley and I better not do it or tomorrow you all will read about how a blind guy went on a murder rampage in a small town in Canada *smile*.

I have my speed set at 55 because anything less drives me nuts and I guess I just happen to like a low pitch.

As for Tim, I am not sure what causes your issue, as I said I run Eloquence at 55 and I also have an Asus laptop as well as several desktop computers. What pitch do you use, Tim?

I do, by the way, highly doubt upgrading to Jaws 18 would make any difference since it’s not like Eloquence in Jaws 18 is different from Eloquence in any other version of Jaws. You could always try it by downloading Jaws 18 because you could run it in 40-minute demo mode as often as you like so you would get a good idea about how it is.

Regards,

Sieghard

[...]

I know you said you disabled effects, but it totally sounds to me like something is still enabled which causes this.

Tim Ford wrote:

[...]

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Do you have audio ducking on by any chance? If so turn it off

On 9/28/2017 1:05 PM, Tim Ford wrote:

[...]

Sincereley: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.
707-502-5575
1897 SE Dr.
Grants Pass, Or. 97526

Jonas Voll

Hey, Tim Ford!
If you get a new sound card I recommend one that will support Stereo Mix or what you hear is what you get!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Tim Ford wrote:

[...]

If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 'spam@nospam.envisionus.com'

Tim Ford

Hello Jonas,

Thank you very much for mentioning that. I had assumed that all USB sound cards would be stereo. Is there something more than that I should look for in the specifications? Any particular recommended USB sound cards?

I did try JAWS 2018 BETA, but it did not change the JAWS sound, as most of you predicted. I did want to try 2018 since I assume it would give better overall performance with web pages that use the latest and greatest visual designs. However, I found that 2018 was terrible with my Office 2010 programs, and somehow also affected my JAWS 17, which suddenly was doing a lot of sluggish things, going silent for a good minute or so, and common operations, such as spellcheck, were real problems in Outlook. I removed JAWS 2018, and my problems cleared up; JAWS 17 is back to what qualifies by today's standards as working well.

So USB sound card shopping I will go, after I receive whatever guidance this great group can provide!

Sincerely,

Tim Ford wrote:

[...]

I don't bother with an actual USB sound card, I just use USB
headphones and the on-board audio quality issue is taken care of. The
sound card is only necessary if you wish to use standalone speakers
but honestly I prefer the headphones because I can turn them down
extremely low and still hear. As long as the cheapest end of the range
is avoided I have been happy with just about every set I've purchased
($30 and up). The ones I have now are logictech something or other,
capable of 3D sound but I don't use that ability (I barely use
left-right mixing, let alone forward-back or up-down).