text columns in word questions; and proofreading schemes.

mike mcglashon

Hi guys:

I have two questions;
1.  regarding text columns:
back sometime ago, there was discussion on this list on how to read text columns within a word doc;
(e.g. two text columns);
The response on handling such matters was to use the control arrows whilst arrowing through a doc,
Although this might be a solution in some instances,
what if I am reading the doc straight through, say a legal case as the other fella suggested?
One would not sit there and arrow line-by-line through a case; for this would be non-efficient and imppractical.
Any ideas?

2: regarding proofreading speech schemes:
I have delved into using proofreading schemes and have noticed a “strange but maybe neat ” phenomenon;

It seems that when using one of these schemes, (e.g. attributes, font, and colors);
jaws when encountering either bold or italics, the voice will change from “read” to “huge harry” or something similar thereof;
However,
when encountering changes in color or font,
jaws merely says the new color or font in a different voice but then immediately reverts back to default voice when reading the actual text.
Example:
am reading along and color of text is black on white;
Let’s say I changed some text to “red fur rule”,
I would like jaws not only to change to the voice when he says “red” but I wish for him to stay in that mode and read all the red text in that voice;
when the color of text changes back to black then jaws should default back to his regular voice.

I know this is a lot, but I don’t know any other way to ask these questions?

I hope I haven’t confused anyone with these ramblings?

If anyone has any ideas, ph: 618 783 9331 for more in depth instructions on how to accomplish this?
Please advise further.

Sincerely Yours,

Mike M.
[ph: 618 783 9331.]

Hoping someone answers these via email since it would be helpful to me as well, and more proofreading tips would be appreciated

[...]

Sameer

You can modify an existing JAWS sound scheme or create a new one to have JAWS read text of a certain colour in a different voice.

For guidance in modifying existing sound schemes or creating a new one, refer the following link.

Regards
Mr. Sameer Latey
Mumbai, India

Sent: 24 September, 2017 9:30 PM

[...]

Jason White

Try auto-advance with a braille display, or the say all command if using speech. If I remember rightly, JAWS reads down the text columns in the correct order.

[...]

Steve Griffiths

1. One way to read columns is to put the document into draft mode - it used to be called normal mode and the shortcut is Alt + Ctrl + N. That puts the columns under each other and also gets rid of images and other visual stuff.

If you want, when you've finished you can use Alt + Ctrl + P to put it back into print mode, which shows the documents as it will print out, with the columns side by side.

2. I'm not very clued up on speech and sound schemes, but I'm not sure you can do what you what very easily. The reason is that attributes like bold and italic are either on or off, so it's easy for JAWS to read with one voice when they're on, and another when they're off. But with colours, you can have any number of them, so how would JAWS know which voice to use for a given colour? I think this is why JAWS can read bold text in one voice and italic text in another, but if you have text which is bold and italic, it just announces the start of it, as it does for a colour.

I suppose, if you know the exact colours that will appear in your documents, you might be able to set up voices for those colours. Is that the case?

Steve

[...]

How will you Move it for Money this Guide Dogs Week?

https://www.guidedogs.org.uk/guidedogsweek

This email and any attachment to it are confidential. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose either the message or any information contained in the message.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this email and notify the sender immediately.
Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender only, unless otherwise stated.
All emails, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded by Guide Dogs and monitored for legitimate business purposes.
Guide Dogs exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email to the fullest extent permitted by law.

Tel: 0118 983 5555
Email: guidedogs@...
Website: https://www.guidedogs.org.uk
Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG.
A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales (209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Carol Smith

Hi,

As some on this list have been advocating the use of NVDA as a supplement for Jaws and Window-Eyes, and the default startup key for NVDA is control-alt-n, my question would be whether there is a way to change the hot key for either of these two tasks.  Thank you for any suggestions.

Carol

On 9/26/2017 11:06 AM, Steve Griffiths wrote:

[...]

Steve:
Yes that is exactly the case,
I'm going to set the color to something that I want the text to be and when the job is on that color I should then be able to assign it to Read in that voice just as if I were to get a bowl the selection in this case I can change the color to anything so we know what we can tell it to be if I wanted to be rather whatever

contact information
Mike McGlashon
PH: 618-783-9331
Email: michael.mcglashon@...

On Sep 26, 2017, at 12:51 PM, Carol Smith via Groups.Io <carollablady@...> wrote:

[...]

Ann Byrne

this is an awkward work-around, but what I did was
1. press alt+control+n, which brought up NVDA.
2. Press insert+f2, which is NVDA's passthrough key.
3. Press alt+control+n for normal.
4. Turned off NVDA.

At 11:51 AM 9/26/2017, you wrote:
[...]

Let’s say I changed some text to “red fur ruleâ€,

<https://www.guidedogs.org.uk/guidedogsweek>https://www.guidedogs.org.uk/guidedogsweek

Email: <mailto:guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk>guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk
Website: <https://www.guidedogs.org.uk>https://www.guidedogs.org.uk
Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG.
A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales (209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Steve Griffiths

Hi Mike,

So, the general steps you need to go through are: open the Settings Center, open the scheme you want to modify, make the modifications.

More precisely, it's

1. Insert + 6 to open the Settings Center

2. DownArrow to Speech and Sounds Center, RightArrow to expand the tree view, DownArrow to Modify Schemes and Space to open the Modify Schemes dialogue.

Tab to Edit Selected Scheme - assuming you want to edit the scheme currently in use - then Space again to open the Edit Scheme dialogue.

3. Ctrl + Tab six times to the Color page, then Tab to the Add button and press it.

You now get taken through a number of screens where you choose the foreground and background colours the text will have, the behaviour you want JAWS to exhibit, which will be "speak text with this colour using voice" and then the voice you want to use.

And lastly, OK out of the three screens you have open.

I hope that makes sense and works for you! Let us know how you get on.

Steve

[...]

The hot keys I gave were just shortcuts; you could also use the ribbon by pressing Alt, W, E to get to draft mode, then Alt, W, P to get back to print mode.

Steve

At 11:51 AM 9/26/2017, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>As some on this list have been advocating the use of NVDA as a
>supplement for Jaws and Window-Eyes, and the default startup key for
>NVDA is control-alt-n, my question would be whether there is a way to
>change the hot key for either of these two tasks. Thank you for any
>suggestions.
>
>Carol
>

>On 9/26/2017 11:06 AM, Steve Griffiths wrote:
>>
>>1. One way to read columns is to put the document into draft mode - it
>>used to be called normal mode and the shortcut is Alt + Ctrl + N.
>>That puts the columns under each other and also gets rid of images and
>>other visual stuff.

>>If you want, when you've finished you can use
>>Alt + Ctrl + P to put it back into print mode,
>>which shows the documents as it will print out, with the columns side by side.

>>2. I'm not very clued up on speech and sound
>>schemes, but I'm not sure you can do what you
>>what very easily. The reason is that attributes
>>like bold and italic are either on or off, so
>>it's easy for JAWS to read with one voice when
>>they're on, and another when they're off. But
>>with colours, you can have any number of them,
>>so how would JAWS know which voice to use for a
>>given colour? I think this is why JAWS can read
>>bold text in one voice and italic text in
>>another, but if you have text which is bold and
>>italic, it just announces the start of it, as it does for a colour.

>>I suppose, if you know the exact colours that
>>will appear in your documents, you might be
>>able to set up voices for those colours. Is that the case?

>>Steve

Wouldn't I need to close Jaws first? My system crashes with Jaws and WE, so I assume it would do the same with Jaws and NVDA. Thanks

At 11:51 AM 9/26/2017, you wrote:
[...]

Thank you.  This should help.

Carol

At 11:51 AM 9/26/2017, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>As some on this list have been advocating the use of NVDA as a
>supplement for Jaws and Window-Eyes, and the default startup key for
>NVDA is control-alt-n, my question would be whether there is a way to
>change the hot key for either of these two tasks. Thank you for any
>suggestions.
>
>Carol
>

>On 9/26/2017 11:06 AM, Steve Griffiths wrote:
>>
>>1. One way to read columns is to put the document into draft mode - it
>>used to be called normal mode and the shortcut is Alt + Ctrl + N.
>>That puts the columns under each other and also gets rid of images and
>>other visual stuff.

>>If you want, when you've finished you can use
>>Alt + Ctrl + P to put it back into print mode,
>>which shows the documents as it will print out, with the columns side by side.

>>2. I'm not very clued up on speech and sound
>>schemes, but I'm not sure you can do what you
>>what very easily. The reason is that attributes
>>like bold and italic are either on or off, so
>>it's easy for JAWS to read with one voice when
>>they're on, and another when they're off. But
>>with colours, you can have any number of them,
>>so how would JAWS know which voice to use for a
>>given colour? I think this is why JAWS can read
>>bold text in one voice and italic text in
>>another, but if you have text which is bold and
>>italic, it just announces the start of it, as it does for a colour.

>>I suppose, if you know the exact colours that
>>will appear in your documents, you might be
>>able to set up voices for those colours. Is that the case?

>>Steve

I don't know your system, but it worked on mine.

Good luck!

At 11:51 AM 9/26/2017, you wrote:
[...]

I have delved into using proofreading schemes and have noticed a “strange but maybe neat â€phenomenon;

It seems that when using one of these schemes, (e.g. attributes, font, and colors);

jaws when encountering either bold or italics, the voice will change from “readâ€to “huge harryâ€or something similar thereof;

However,

when encountering changes in color or font,

jaws merely says the new color or font in a different voice but then immediately reverts back to default voice when reading the actual text.

Example:

am reading along and color of text is black on white;

Let’s say I changed some text to “red fur ruleâ€,

I would like jaws not only to change to the voice when he says “redâ€but I wish for him to stay in that mode and read all the red text in that voice;