moderated help with correcting a misspelled word

Van Lant, Robin

I would type the word, then bring your cursor back into the word. Hit the application key to open the context menu.  If Word thinks you have it misspelled, one of thcontext options witll be spelling and a submenu option will be to add to dictionary.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Denise J Moses
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 2:37 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: help with correcting a mispelled word

In a document I changed a word in spell check that I thought was correct.  I discovered later that I had misspelled that word.  I typed the correct spelling in my document & then opened spell check.  It only showed me the misspelled word from before & there was no option to delete or add the corrected spelling.  Where do I make this change?  I went into dictionary manager & it only showed me languages.  The example of the word I am describing is this; Zorumites is the word I changed but is misspelled.  Zoramites is the correct spelling.

Thanks for the help.

Denise

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Adrian Spratt

Hi, Denise.

I want to be sure I understand the problem. Did you add a word to the Word dictionary, only to realize you’d misspelled it? and now you want to remove that added spelling/word?

Word used to have a function that made such a fix easy. I think it was an “options” button. But it it’s no longer there in Word 2016. I don’t know about immediately preceding or later versions.

If this is a correct interpretation of your query, please give the list the version number of Word you’re using so that the answer can be responsive.

In a document I changed a word in spell check that I thought was correct.  I discovered later that I had misspelled that word.  I typed the correct spelling in my document & then opened spell check.  It only showed me the misspelled word from before & there was no option to delete or add the corrected spelling.  Where do I make this change?  I went into dictionary manager & it only showed me languages.  The example of the word I am describing is this; Zorumites is the word I changed but is misspelled.  Zoramites is the correct spelling.

Thanks for the help.

Denise

Denise J Moses

Yes, this is what I meant.  I am using Word 16.0.12130

[...]

Okay. In Word 2016, try this:

Alt-f, then t for “Options.”

P for “Proofing.”

Alt-c at the same time to take you directly to “Custom dictionaries….”

Press spacebar.

Now you’re given an option and told 1 of 2. Arrow down once for the second option, which is “Custom…”

Tab to “Edit word list” and press spacebar.

Tab once and you’ll land in the list of words you’ve added to the dictionary. Here you arrow down through the list.

When you find the word you wish to delete, tab to the delete button.

That’s as far as I got in going through this procedure just now. You’ll need to tab to find out if there’s an “Okay” or other button to confirm the action.

I don’t know why MS had to make this so complicated. I tried to make these instructions as clear and accurate as I could, and I hope they help.

[...]

Should I be in the document with the words I want to change?  I opened up a blank document & typed the misspelled word.  I did all the steps you suggested.  It didn’t give me a list of my words but it did give me an edit box so I typed in the word I want to delete.  Something happened & I got to the language page & it only shows me all the languages in the dictionary.  I exited & started over & the same thing happened again.  Do you know how to get out of this & back to the edit box?  When I tabbed it only showed me an add button.  I hit cancel & tried again.  Your steps got me to the right place but I tabbed or entered on something I wasn’t supposed to.

Thanks for the help.

Denise