Topics

What PDF editing software is accessible?

Pablo Morales

Good morning all,

I have a large PDF of images document. It was scanned  from  the original documents days ago.

We have discovered that the order of the pages in a few cases is wrong, I need to move some pages back, and some pages forward in the order how they are in the PDF file. I understand that adobe acrobat pro is able to move the pages in the document, even insert pages from a different pdf file in other.

But adobe acrobat is not so accessible and it is a little bit expensive. Any body know any other software able to do that? Insert pages and change the order how the pages are?

Thanks

images

Pablo,

        I can't speak to accessibility, but since what I'm going to mention is open-source software there's no harm in trying it.  PDF Split and Merge, AKA PDF Sam, is a great little tool for doing what you propose.  You can take any PDF file and split it apart at specific pages, creating "chunks" of the file.  You can then merge those chunks back together to reshuffle the pages to suit.  The current version is 3.0.1, and looking at the interface I have my doubts regarding current accessibility, but give the latest a shot.  I can also send you either the MSI installer for version 2.2.4 or the exe installer for 2.2.2, both of which would still meet the need and may be (more) accessible with their older style interface, which involves a lot more "real" buttons and edit boxes.

        It's a great little tool, but only the latest version is out there for download.  I archive in case I need to go backward for some reason.

Brian

Pablo,

            I'm going to retract my suggestion about using version 3.0.1 as your first shot, as it seems to be somewhat hateful in interacting with NVDA.  I'll be sending you a private e-mail with a link to the installer (64-bit) for versions 2.2.2 and 2.2.4 since they used a "good, old-fashioned" Windows interface rather than the new flat look.

Brian

Gudrun Brunot

Thanks for the warning, Brian. I did download the SAM basic version, and would appreciate links to the older versions as well. I didn't install the download, since I felt somewhat apprehensive.

Gudrun

I'm going to retract my suggestion about using version 3.0.1 as your first shot, as it seems to be somewhat hateful in interacting with NVDA. I'll be sending you a private e-mail with a link to the installer (64-bit) for versions 2.2.2 and 2.2.4 since they used a "good, old-fashioned" Windows interface rather than the new flat look.

Brian

Angel

When programs are tried, it would be a nice idea if they might be reviewed on this list regarding their accessibility.  I will begin with Backblaze.  Though it seems a fine program for uploading files for back-up at an affordable cost.  It seems to me, all its functions can't be accessed with my Jaws screen reader.  So, unless one intends to only use the default settings, one must have sighted assistance.  I did purchase the program, however.  As I have a good deal of things to back up.  Things might change for me regarding accessibility when my initial back up has finished, however.

On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 11:23 am, Angel <angel238@...> wrote:
When programs are tried, it would be a nice idea if they might be reviewed on this list regarding their accessibility.

 Yep, I'm leaving this recommendation line top-posted.  Angel, I couldn't agree with you more.  This is incredibly helpful information.  If I might I'm going to propose that the title for those sort of threads should be the program name followed by something like "Accessibility Observations and Issues", e.g., "Backblaze Accessibility Observations and Issues."  This makes it much easier for later searchers to enter a program name and the word accessibility in a search and get back just precisely what they're looking for.

Brian

Gudrun,

          Back to PDF Split & Merge.  Directly below is a quotation of the pertinent section of an e-mail I sent to Pablo earlier today.  Since there's nothing private about the conversation, nor the material I'm referring him to, I'll just paste here so that anyone who wants to give the earlier versions of PDF Split & Merge a try can do so.

        I have uploaded a ZIP file with the 64-bit installers for two prior versions of PDF Split and Merge that still have the functionality you're looking for, but that had a far more "old fashioned Windows" interface.  Given that it was very straightforward I suspect it will be accessible, but have not reinstalled to verify.  If you wish to try one, I would suggest going for the oldest version, which is the exe installer for version 2.2.2, before trying the MSI installer for 2.2.4.  Both of these files have been virus scanned more times than I can count since they've been resident on my computer using Microsoft Windows Defender since I started with Windows 10 last fall.  I just zipped them both up.  Here is the direct link to the ZIP file on my Amazon web space:  https://s3.amazonaws.com/gravely/PDF_SAM_Releases_2.zip

If it objects to downloading for you let me know and I'll make the file public.  I think it should download for anyone with the direct link whether I've made it public or not.

Brian

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Word 2013 and later can probably do it.  Import it, make your edits, then resave as a PDF file.  Sounds like a fairly large project, so you might want to try playing with it as a Word document, and resaving to PDF at the very end.

Ted