From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Paul Martz
Sent: September 6, 2017 11:41 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: reading bullets

I'm reading a web page (using Google Chrome for a browser, if that matters),
and the page makes extensive use of bullet points. As I arrow down, JAWS
starts every line with "bullet" or, even more annoying, "hollow round
bullet". Is there some way to make JAWS quit reading the bullets?

I tried turning off reading graphics, but that has no effect. These are not
graphics. They are actual characters. Next, I went into the Dictionary
Manager and tried to create an entry for the bullet character with a
replacement word set to a space, but that also had no effect.

Any other ideas? If I have to hear "bullet" and "hollow round bullet" for
every line of this web page, I'll have to be admitted to a psych ward. LOL.
-Paul

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Place cursor on the offending button
Press inserrt D
Press spacebar on the add button
Tab to the replacement word button
Press spacebar on the replacement word button
Tab to okay

I'm reading a web page (using Google Chrome for a browser, if that matters),
and the page makes extensive use of bullet points. As I arrow down, JAWS
starts every line with "bullet" or, even more annoying, "hollow round
bullet". Is there some way to make JAWS quit reading the bullets?

I tried turning off reading graphics, but that has no effect. These are not
graphics. They are actual characters. Next, I went into the Dictionary
Manager and tried to create an entry for the bullet character with a
replacement word set to a space, but that also had no effect.

Any other ideas? If I have to hear "bullet" and "hollow round bullet" for
every line of this web page, I'll have to be admitted to a psych ward. LOL.
-Paul

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

Thanks. Yes, as I said, I tried making an entry in the dictionary manager. What you wrote below is exactly what I did,
and JAWS continues to pronounce the bullets as "bullet" and "hollow round bullet", even after I've added the dictionary
entry.

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance, all.
-Paul