From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2019 8:23 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Used computer

I have a used computer that a neighbor gave me.  It is a Windows7 OS.  It has 3 password protected user accounts on it that are using 2/3 of the hard drive space.  I don't know the passwords.  Is there any way that I can remove these accounts?  Can this computer be restored to factory fresh without a Windows 7 disk?

David Diamond

There was an email this afternoon that  Microsoft will no longer be providing support for windows 7 as of 2020.

I have a used computer that a neighbor gave me.  It is a Windows7 OS.
It has 3 password protected user accounts on it that are using 2/3 of
the hard drive space.  I don't know the passwords.  Is there any way
that I can remove these accounts?  Can this computer be restored to
factory fresh without a Windows 7 disk?

.

David Diamond

This entire security thing seems as farcical as face I D on iPhones. In order to get into your iPhone all the thief needs to do is point the device at you and poof he or she can use your device. I'm sure I am wrong but a computer tech told me years ago all one needs to do to use a password protected computer is take out a small piece and then anyone can use it after that.

try looking for a software called konboot that should allow you to log in to those accounts with a password and remove them I think.
otherwise you may have to re--install windows thus removing everything on the system and starting from scratch.

Legend has it that on Friday 11/15/2019 10:23 PM, Marty Hutchings said:
I have a used computer that a neighbor gave me. It is a Windows7 OS.
It has 3 password protected user accounts on it that are using
2/3 of the hard drive space. I don't know the passwords. Is there any
way that I can remove these accounts? Can this computer be restored to
factory fresh without a Windows 7 disk?

James Bentley

I remember the United States threatening to take Apple to court a while
back. They needed to know how to by pass the security on an iPhone owned by
a terrorist.

I doubt if Apple's password protection is ludacris.

Regards,

James B

try looking for a software called konboot that should allow you to log in to
those accounts with a password and remove them I think.
otherwise you may have to re--install windows thus removing everything on
the system and starting from scratch.

Legend has it that on Friday 11/15/2019 10:23 PM, Marty Hutchings said:
I have a used computer that a neighbor gave me. It is a Windows7 OS.
It has 3 password protected user accounts on it that are using
2/3 of the hard drive space. I don't know the passwords. Is there any
way that I can remove these accounts? Can this computer be restored to
factory fresh without a Windows 7 disk?

JM Casey

Yes, and I believe Apple caved in, if I remember right.

try looking for a software called konboot that should allow you to log in to
those accounts with a password and remove them I think.
otherwise you may have to re--install windows thus removing everything on
the system and starting from scratch.

Legend has it that on Friday 11/15/2019 10:23 PM, Marty Hutchings said:
I have a used computer that a neighbor gave me. It is a Windows7 OS.
It has 3 password protected user accounts on it that are using
2/3 of the hard drive space. I don't know the passwords. Is there any
way that I can remove these accounts? Can this computer be restored to
factory fresh without a Windows 7 disk?

DJ

No. They most certainly did not cave-in.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 2:05 PM JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:
Yes, and I believe Apple caved in, if I remember right.

try looking for a software called konboot that should allow you to log in to
those accounts with a password and remove them I think.
otherwise you may have to re--install windows thus removing everything on
the system and starting from scratch.

Legend has it that on Friday 11/15/2019 10:23 PM, Marty Hutchings said:
>I have a used computer that a neighbor gave me.  It is a Windows7 OS.
>It has 3 password protected user accounts on it that are using
>2/3 of the hard drive space.  I don't know the passwords.  Is there any
>way that I can remove these accounts?  Can this computer be restored to
>factory fresh without a Windows 7 disk?

James Bentley

The story that I got was that Apple arranged for a computer tech to privately assist Uncle Sam in getting in to the phone.  Maybe by now, there people who have access to this information.  Maybe by now, Apple has made changes. I still bet iPhones are more secure than Android phones.  I bet iPhones are even more secure than Windows PC’s.

James B

p.S.  I don’t remember which cable news channel I got this news report  from.

No. They most certainly did not cave-in.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 2:05 PM JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:

Yes, and I believe Apple caved in, if I remember right.

try looking for a software called konboot that should allow you to log in to
those accounts with a password and remove them I think.
otherwise you may have to re--install windows thus removing everything on
the system and starting from scratch.

Legend has it that on Friday 11/15/2019 10:23 PM, Marty Hutchings said:
>I have a used computer that a neighbor gave me.  It is a Windows7 OS.
>It has 3 password protected user accounts on it that are using
>2/3 of the hard drive space.  I don't know the passwords.  Is there any
>way that I can remove these accounts?  Can this computer be restored to
>factory fresh without a Windows 7 disk?

DJ

Apple states that the data as well as passwords, codes, etc., are encrypted in such a way that they even cannot access the data. They did not and could not Arrange for a computer tech to help the government. They also stated that if they attempted to do this, they would be violating the very promised they have made to us, they are customers. Apple has been working hard to protect our privacy and security.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 2:58 PM James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...> wrote:

The story that I got was that Apple arranged for a computer tech to privately assist Uncle Sam in getting in to the phone.  Maybe by now, there people who have access to this information.  Maybe by now, Apple has made changes. I still bet iPhones are more secure than Android phones.  I bet iPhones are even more secure than Windows PC’s.

James B

p.S.  I don’t remember which cable news channel I got this news report  from.

No. They most certainly did not cave-in.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 2:05 PM JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:

Yes, and I believe Apple caved in, if I remember right.

try looking for a software called konboot that should allow you to log in to
those accounts with a password and remove them I think.
otherwise you may have to re--install windows thus removing everything on
the system and starting from scratch.

Legend has it that on Friday 11/15/2019 10:23 PM, Marty Hutchings said:
>I have a used computer that a neighbor gave me.  It is a Windows7 OS.
>It has 3 password protected user accounts on it that are using
>2/3 of the hard drive space.  I don't know the passwords.  Is there any
>way that I can remove these accounts?  Can this computer be restored to
>factory fresh without a Windows 7 disk?

Loy

In case of the thief pointing the camera at the victim and opening the phone, this may be true, but if the phone is lost or the thief grabs and runs he can't get into the phone, or the phone goes to sleep then he can't get back into the phone unless he changes the print or face ID. So It is a pretty good security feature.

----- Original Messag

try looking for a software called konboot that should allow you to log in to
those accounts with a password and remove them I think.
otherwise you may have to re--install windows thus removing everything on
the system and starting from scratch.

Legend has it that on Friday 11/15/2019 10:23 PM, Marty Hutchings said:
I have a used computer that a neighbor gave me. It is a Windows7 OS.
It has 3 password protected user accounts on it that are using
2/3 of the hard drive space. I don't know the passwords. Is there any
way that I can remove these accounts? Can this computer be restored to
factory fresh without a Windows 7 disk?

Dave Durber

I would love to know what that computer tech meant by taking out a small piece!

[...]

Marty Hutchings

So would I.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

I would love to know what that computer tech meant by taking out a small
piece!

try looking for a software called konboot that should allow you to log in to
those accounts with a password and remove them I think.
otherwise you may have to re--install windows thus removing everything on
the system and starting from scratch.

Legend has it that on Friday 11/15/2019 10:23 PM, Marty Hutchings said:
I have a used computer that a neighbor gave me. It is a Windows7 OS.
It has 3 password protected user accounts on it that are using
2/3 of the hard drive space. I don't know the passwords. Is there any
way that I can remove these accounts? Can this computer be restored to
factory fresh without a Windows 7 disk?

Yes, no password can be bypassed by taking out a small piece.
I still would like to know about Windows passwords and if they can really be discovered as easily as Glen and some others here say they can.
As for Apple, what was said is correct. This case was when those two people shot and killed a bunch of people during this Christmas party I think in California and I think it was now 2 years ago or maybe even 3.
Apple said they can't get into the iPhone which, by the way, was not as secure as today's iPhones are, and I think the FBI hired some Israeli company who tried to get in, millions were spent and I honestly can't remember if they succeeded or not.
As for the Face Id thing and a thief pointing it at you that is only correct to some degree. If somebody snatched your iPhone and stuck around all you would have to do is cover your Face with your hands if you are worried. At the same time if a thief stuck around they could just as easily grab your hand and put your finger on the Touch Id home button or, even better, ask you for the passcode. If somebody is that callus I doubt a lot of people would keep their passcode to themselves after a few slaps or punches or being shoved to the ground and kicked a few times which some such thieves probably have few scruples to do.
The fact is that even if he can unlock your phone once with Face Id, he has to make sure it doesn't lock and having unlocked it with Face Id or Touch Id won't do them any good if they want to reset the phone to sell it or even if they want to get into it and disable or change the Face Id/Touch Id/PIN option. As soon as you go to Settings > Passcode you have to enter you passcode. Apple security is indeed very good, even if your phone was stolen and they have your PIN, you could wipe the phone and permanently disable it if you quickly log into iCloud and Find My iPhone also cannot be disabled without the passcode, the only way to stop it from working is to turn off the phone.

I would love to know what that computer tech meant by taking out a small piece!

try looking for a software called konboot that should allow you to log in to
those accounts with a password and remove them I think.
otherwise you may have to re--install windows thus removing everything on
the system and starting from scratch.

Legend has it that on Friday 11/15/2019 10:23 PM, Marty Hutchings said:
I have a used computer that a neighbor gave me. It is a Windows7 OS.
It has 3 password protected user accounts on it that are using
2/3 of the hard drive space. I don't know the passwords. Is there any
way that I can remove these accounts? Can this computer be restored to
factory fresh without a Windows 7 disk?

Glenn / Lenny

If you burn the talking Win PE to disk or USB and boot up, you can detect all the passwords on your computer with a tool that is on it.
That is the Win PE with eSpeak, not the one with Eloquence.
Glenn