From: Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.
Sent: Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:14 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Determining case of letters in an email

Hi,

I know I should know this, but I don't.

I receive an email several times weekly that has a case-sensitive letter code within the message that I need to text message back to the sender.

How can I figure out which letters are upper case? They come in a string of 6.

Thanks, Keith

Adrian Spratt

Keith,

I wonder if you have JAWS set for uppercase recognition. When you move character by character, you should hear a higher pitch, as David says. If not, you'll need to go to the setting. You find it in the JAWS key+j menus, as follows:

When you press JAWS key+j, you'll land on "Options submenu." Press enter. (I'm sure this will be familiar territory.)

Now you'll hear "Voices..." Press enter again.

Press enter yet again on "Voice Profiles." If I'm not mistaken, JAWS will verbalize whichever voice profile you are running.

Keep tabbing until you get to "Voice uppercase pitch change." On my system, I had to tab eleven times.

As I recall, you adjust the pitch change with the up and down arrows. I notice that mine is set at 50%, and I find the difference in pitch pretty obvious.

I can't remember if an "apply" button appears when you make this change or if it's just enough to tab to Okay. Tab three or so times past Okay to make sure.

I receive an email several times weekly that has a case-sensitive letter code within the message that I need to text message back to the sender.

How can I figure out which letters are upper case? They come in a string of 6.

Thanks, Keith

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

Hey, thanks, Adrian,

I found out my caps voice was only 20% higher than usual, and that just wasn't enough. After the adjustment you described, all's good now. Thanks very much, and Dave, too. Keith