Topics

asining key board commands to different keys?

Shannon

Hello all,

I am not at all sure how to explain what I want to do but I am going to try.

Jaws has a Key stroke “Insert Num pad 8” Which in the keyboard help says that it “JAWSKey+UpArrow
Says the current line.”

This key stroke in my time collection program reads the job and job type.

What I want is exactly what this is doing but, I want to make a different set of keys do this action. I want to keep my fingers off the number pad.

I would prefer something like Ctrl Shift J.

And if possible make this only apply to one program.

Can I do this?
If so I want to do the same thing to the “insert numpad7” JAWSKey+Home
Says the text from the beginning of the line up to the active cursor.

Can I mimic the behavior of these key strokes with different keys?

Thanks a lot!

Shannon

jeff armstrong <jeffarmstrong1380@...>

Shannon;

Do you not want to use the actual “insert”+”home”  keys either?  or the “insert”+”up arrow key” combination?  Are you just wanting the command combo to be on the main keyboard/ alphanumeric and modifier keys?

Jeff Armstrong

I am not at all sure how to explain what I want to do but I am going to try.

Jaws has a Key stroke “Insert Num pad 8” Which in the keyboard help says that it “JAWSKey+UpArrow
Says the current line.”

This key stroke in my time collection program reads the job and job type.

What I want is exactly what this is doing but, I want to make a different set of keys do this action. I want to keep my fingers off the number pad.

I would prefer something like Ctrl Shift J.

And if possible make this only apply to one program.

Can I do this?
If so I want to do the same thing to the “insert numpad7” JAWSKey+Home
Says the text from the beginning of the line up to the active cursor.

Can I mimic the behavior of these key strokes with different keys?

Thanks a lot!

Shannon

Tom Lange

Hi,

Offhand, I haven't a clue how you would set that up, especially for just one application. Are there other keystroke combinations that you want to change, or just the insert+up arrow on the num pad? If there are other combinations that you find troublesome, why not change to the laptop layout while you're in the app, then switch back to the desktop layout when you're finished. It may be more hassle than it's worth, especially if you're bouncing in and out of that window all the time, but hey, I thought I'd throw that out as a possible suggestion anyway.
 Tom

Sent from my iPhone 7

On Aug 24, 2017, at 4:04 PM, jeff armstrong <jeffarmstrong1380@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Turner

that keystroke works with the standard up arrow key. If you have the capslock key set to work like the insert key, you could do capslock plus the regular up arrow.
I use the NumPad insert plus the regular up arrow all the time.

But you could keep your hands off the numpad by using the capslock.

HTH,
Richard

On Aug 24, 2017, at 5:06 PM, Tom Lange <lange85@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes I want to keep my hands off that number pad. This can be problematic when in this program. If I accidentally press a number it will override the data in the cell.

I want to be able to read what is there then be able to choose to change it with the number pad if needed. I am finding that I have to keep jumping in and out of the different curser modes and numbers on and off frequently.

I don’t know why but the insert numpad8 reads 3 of the five fields and the numpad 7 reads the other two fields.

I didn’t want to change everything about the set up but make a different set of keys that would do the same thing using only the modifiers and letter keys.

I would like it if maybe I could just use them in this program alone but if I can’t well…

I am used to WE and the only time you used the number pad to read anything was when using the mouse. Easy enough to do. With Jaws you use all those keys all the time to manipulate all of the cursers.

I have toyed with the idea of using the differentiate between number pad arrows and the “extended” arrow keys but I am not sure how that would work. I might have to remap all the key functions off that number pad.

[...]

Thanks for the idea but as you pointed out it would be a pain since I jump in and out of that program all the time.

I need to be in multiple programs at once.

Thanks again

Shannon

[...]

Yes that one is duplicated with the extended up arrow and the insert key but the number pad 7 is not right there with the extended arrow keys. Not easy to reach for that information.

Too bad you can’t have all three i.e. both insert keys and the cap lock at the same time as modifiers.

I am thinking that a new keyboard layout would be the way to go but that is going to take a lot more time and knowledge that I don’t have yet.

Thanks

Shannon

I am not at all sure how to explain what I want to do but I am going to try.

Jaws has a Key stroke “Insert Num pad 8” Which in the keyboard help says that it “JAWSKey+UpArrow
Says the current line.”

This key stroke in my time collection program reads the job and job type.

What I want is exactly what this is doing but, I want to make a different set of keys do this action. I want to keep my fingers off the number pad.

I would prefer something like Ctrl Shift J.

And if possible make this only apply to one program.

Can I do this?
If so I want to do the same thing to the “insert numpad7” JAWSKey+Home
Says the text from the beginning of the line up to the active cursor.

Can I mimic the behavior of these key strokes with different keys?

Thanks a lot!

Shannon

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

You can use the keyboard Insert and arrows just to the right of the keyboard. I just tried with Say All, and it worked.

Best from,

Carolyn