From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marilyn Bland
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2017 7:29 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Cursor on web page

Hello everyone,

I am encountering a very frustrating situation. I am reading something on the internet, switch to my Word document to make a note of something for future reference, then switch back to the web page with the intent of continuing where I left off. However, instead of my cursor being where I left off before the switch, it is at the top of the web page and I have to arrow down through everything I have already read to find my place.

Why does this happen? Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland - Dallas, Texas

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Would using place markers help?

Unfortunately, this is a common symptom when leaving and returning to a web page window. This also happens to me when downloading talking books from the National Library for the Blind. I don't know of any way to prevent this. The only thing I have found is to look for a word on the web page, and after returning to it, search for that word using CONTROL plus the letter F. This cuts down on the time needed to relocate your place on the web page.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

I am encountering a very frustrating situation. I am reading something on the internet, switch to my Word document to make a note of something for future reference, then switch back to the web page with the intent of continuing where I left off. However, instead of my cursor being where I left off before the switch, it is at the top of the web page and I have to arrow down through everything I have already read to find my place.

Why does this happen? Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland - Dallas, Texas

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

That would be my suggestion, just press Control+Windows Key+K before you go to Word to set a temporary placemarker, then after you return to the web page if your place has been lost press "k" and you are back where you were.

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

Marilyn Bland <tinkerbelltx@...>

Sieghard,

So to make sure - the Windows key is the one right next to the bottom left control key, right?

Also, when I leave the web and then return and press k and find my place, then is that place marker operation cancelled? When I need to leave the web page again, I would repeat all those keystrokes?

Thanks.

Marilyn

[...]

Dave...

Marilyn,

"So to make sure - the Windows key is the one right next to the bottom left
control key, right?"
Depends on your keyboard, but on a standard full 101-key keyboard, that is
where one of them is.

Dave

I am encountering a very frustrating situation. I am reading something on
the internet, switch to my Word document to make a note of something for
future reference, then switch back to the web page with the intent of
continuing where I left off. However, instead of my cursor being where I
left off before the switch, it is at the top of the web page and I have to
arrow down through everything I have already read to find my place.

Why does this happen? Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland - Dallas, Texas

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hi Marilyn,

Yes, the Windows key is next to the left control key, it's the one which bring up your Windows start menu/search box.
Control+Windows Key+K as I said sets a "temporary" placemarker, if after you return to it you continue reading the web page and then set another placemarker at a different point using this key combination the first one is overwritten and the new location is marked. Also, if you exit whichever browser you use the placemarker is gone.
If you want to set permanent placemarkers you have to use the placemarker dialogue which you bring up with Control+Shift+K, then you can add a permanent placemarker by pressing Alt+A for "Add" or tab to "Add" and activate it. You can also remove existing placemarkers you have set. Typically any placemarkers you set here are specific to the website you are on, e.g. you could visit your banking website and set placemarkers for particular links, then go to a completely different website and set placemarkers there and each set of placemarkers only becomes relevant if you are on the correct website.
Placemarkers can be very useful and powerful just as Jaws Find can be (Insert+Control+f. Maybe I am reading a news article about something and somehow the site refreshes and I loose my place, if I remember one of the last words I read was "negotiations" I could just bring up Jaws Find, type in "negotiations" and chances are I am back exactly where I was before unless the word occurs several times, but in this case I can just press F3 each time I come to the word and it's not yet the place/context where I was before.

[...]

Thank you so much for all the information and clarifications. I am about to try this now. I wanted to be sure of what I would be doing - I can't afford to blunder here.

[...]

Margaret Johnson

I appreciate the e-mail about the placemarkers. However, I am not sure how you ment to delete the permanent ones when you are through with them.
Margaret

[...]

If you are on a web page and press Control+Shift+K to bring up the placemarker dialogue or manager or whatever you want to call it, you have an "Add" button to add a new place marker, if you already have existing ones they are listed and if you want to delete one just put focus on it and tab until you get to the "Remove" button or press Alt+R or you can also tab to "Remove All" or press Alt+V.
I apologize by the way for saying earlier that if you set a temporary placemarker and close the browser that placemarker would be deleted. I just noticed that this is not so, it stays, if you set another temporary placemarker the location is changed to the new location, but it does not seem to get automatically deleted.

Regards,
Sieghard.

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Margaret,

Just to add to the tips Sieghard & others have given, below is from the Jaws help files:

PlaceMarkers

A PlaceMarker is a bookmark that you can easily add to a Web page, HTML, PDF, or Word document, or form to mark a location. This is useful when you want to return to commonly used areas on a Web page, important sections or paragraphs of an HTML document, or specific parts, such as required fields, of a complicated form. PlaceMarkers can be defined as temporary or permanent and can be anchored to text, elements of the current Web page, or to a Web site's domain. Multiple PlaceMarkers can be added to HTML or PDF documents, while only one can be added to a Word document.

The following describes how to add, rename, or delete PlaceMarkers. If you are not familiar with PlaceMarkers and need more information, refer to Important PlaceMarker Concepts. For additional PlaceMarker operation, refer to Advanced PlaceMarker Usage. For general information about using PlaceMarkers in a Word document, refer to Marking and Returning to a PlaceMarker in Word.

Adding a Temporary PlaceMarker

To quickly add a temporary PlaceMarker, do the following:

  1. Open a Web page, other HTML document, or Word document.
  2. Move the virtual cursor to the location on the page where you want to put the PlaceMarker.
  3. Press CTRL+WINDOWS Key+K. A temporary PlaceMarker now appears on the page.

    You can always jump to it using any of the following Navigation Quick Keys: K, SHIFT+K, SHIFT+ number row keys 7 through 0, or CTRL+SHIFT+K. (The last keystroke opens the PlaceMarker List. Select Temporary from the list, and then choose the Move To button.)

Selecting Between the Temporary PlaceMarker and the Cursor Position

To select text between a temporary PlaceMarker and your current position in a Web page, HTML document, or Word document, do the following:

  1. Press CTRL+WINDOWS Key+k to set a temporary PlaceMarker.
  2. Navigate to another location on the Web page or document, then press INSERT+SPACEBAR, M. All text between the temporary PlaceMarker and your current cursor position is selected and ready to be copied to the Clipboard.

This method is often easier than using the SHIFT Key in conjunction with the ARROW keys when attempting to select large blocks of text.

Adding Permanent PlaceMarkers to Web Pages or HTML Documents

To add a PlaceMarker, do the following:

  1. Open a Web page or other HTML document.
  2. Move the virtual cursor to the location on the page where you want to put the PlaceMarker.
  3. Press CTRL+SHIFT+K and then ENTER.
    The Add PlaceMarker dialog box opens with focus in the Name edit field. It contains text that appears at the cursor location. If you want to change the PlaceMarker name, type a new name in this field; otherwise, press TAB to move to the next control.
  4. The Define for All Pages on Current Domain check box is cleared by default, which allows the PlaceMarker to be anchored only to the current Web page or HTML document. If you want to use this PlaceMarker so that it is anchored to all pages within the current domain instead, press SPACEBAR to select the check box. Press TAB to move to the next control.
  5. The Anchor to Text check box is cleared by default. Select this check box if you want to link the PlaceMarker with specific text, such as a heading, that appears on the page. This can be useful on frequently updated Web pages where text and elements tend to drift from their original position. When selected, the next control, Anchor Text edit field, automatically populates using the original text in the Name edit field. This guarantees that the PlaceMarker will always be associated with this text on the Web page.
  6. Press TAB to navigate to the OK button and press SPACEBAR to close the dialog box and save the PlaceMarker.

Renaming PlaceMarkers

To change the name of a PlaceMarker, do the following:

  1. Open the page containing the PlaceMarker you want to rename.
  2. Press CTRL+SHIFT+K to display a list of PlaceMarkers on this page.
  3. Use the UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW keys to select the PlaceMarker.
  4. Press SPACEBAR on the Change Name button or press ALT+C.
  5. Enter a new name for the PlaceMarker and then press SPACEBAR on the OK button.

Removing PlaceMarkers

To remove one or more PlaceMarkers, do the following:

  1. Open the page containing the PlaceMarker you want to delete.
  2. Press CTRL+SHIFT+K to display a list of all PlaceMarkers on the current page.
  3. Use the UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW keys to select a PlaceMarker.
  4. Press SPACEBAR on the Remove button or press ALT+R to delete the PlaceMarker.

Tip: If you want to delete all PlaceMarkers for this page, press SPACEBAR on the Remove All button or press ALT+L.

Important PlaceMarker Concepts

The following sections, PlaceMarker Keystrokes, Temporary versus Permanent PlaceMarkers, and URL versus Domain PlaceMarkers, are key to understanding PlaceMarkers with JAWS.

PlaceMarker Keystrokes for Web Pages, HTML Documents, or Forms

  • Press CTRL+WINDOWS Key+K to insert a temporary PlaceMarker.
  • Press INSERT+SPACEBAR, M to select text between the temporary PlaceMarker and your current cursor position.
  • Press CTRL+SHIFT+K to open the PlaceMarker List dialog box to add a new PlaceMarker, rename or change existing PlaceMarker parameters, jump to PlaceMarkers, or delete PlaceMarkers.
  • Press K to jump to the next PlaceMarker.
  • Press SHIFT+K to jump to the previous PlaceMarker.
  • Press number row keys 7 through 0 to hear the content of PlaceMarkers 1 through 4.
  • Press SHIFT+ number row keys 7 through 0 to jump to PlaceMarkers 1 through 4.
  • Press ALT+WINDOWS Key+K to speak all of the PlaceMarkers on a Web page or in an HTML document.

PlaceMarker Keystrokes for Word Documents

  • Press CTRL+WINDOWS Key+K to set a PlaceMarker at the current cursor position. Only one PlaceMarker can be set per Word document.
  • Press ALT+WINDOWS Key+K to return to the marker in a Word document.
  • Press INSERT+SPACEBAR, M to select text or items from the marker to the current cursor position.

Temporary Versus Permanent PlaceMarkers

You can add a temporary PlaceMarker anywhere on a Web page by pressing CTRL+WINDOWS Key+K. This lets you easily mark a spot that you can return to later by pressing K. Only one temporary PlaceMarker may be set per Web page. If you later decide to move the temporary PlaceMarker to a different place on the Web page, just move the Virtual Cursor to that new location and press CTRL+WINDOWS Key+K again.

If you want to make the temporary PlaceMarker permanent, press CTRL+SHIFT+K to open the PlaceMarker List dialog box and add it to the list, which lets you keep and maintain multiple PlaceMarkers on the Web page, HTML document, or form. The last location where you set a temporary PlaceMarker is saved until you move it again, or remove the PlaceMarker from the PlaceMarkers List dialog. You can browse to other Web pages, exit JAWS, even restart your computer, and your temporary and permanent PlaceMarkers are preserved.

URL Versus Domain PlaceMarkers

JAWS lets you assign PlaceMarkers to either the current Web address (the URL displayed in the Address bar) or domain (the overall Web site name). The URL (uniform resource locator) is the Web address displayed in the address bar. You can only use PlaceMarkers assigned to the current URL when you are visiting that page.

Individual Web pages are contained within a domain. The domain's name is usually the first portion of the page's Web address and ends with .com, .net, .org, .gov, .edu, or similar suffix. When you add a domain PlaceMarker to a Web page, you can use that PlaceMarker on any page within the current domain. Since many sites use a consistent design for all of their pages, the placement of links, graphics, buttons, and form fields is often similar. If this is the case, you can use a single domain PlaceMarker to navigate many other pages on the site.

For example, if a Web site has a Search box located at the top of each page, you can put a domain PlaceMarker there named "Search." You can then use this PlaceMarker to move to the Search box on any page in the domain, regardless of the URL.

Advanced PlaceMarker Usage

The following describes other ways to customize and display PlaceMarkers.

Sharing PlaceMarkers

You can use Settings Packager to share your PlaceMarkers for a Web site with other JAWS users. Settings Packager is a program that lets you save speech and sound schemes, PlaceMarkers, and personalized Web settings in a compressed .zip file that you can send in an e-mail message, post on a Web site, or copy to removable storage media. You can also use Settings Packager to import the settings contained in these .zip files into JAWS. To start Settings Packager, press INSERT+F2, select "Settings Packager," and press ENTER. For more information on using this program, open the Settings Packager Help menu and choose Help Topics.

To share your PlaceMarkers with other JAWS users without using Settings Packager:

  1. Open your JAWS user settings folder from the Start Menu, All Programs, JAWS X (where X is the JAWS version number), Explore JAWS, Explore My Settings.
  2. Move to the PlaceMarkers folder and press ENTER.
  3. PlaceMarker information is stored in .PMI files. Locate the .PMI file with the same name as the page containing the PlaceMarkers you want to share.
  4. Copy this file and distribute it to other users. These users then need to copy the .PMI file on their PlaceMarkers folder by going to the Start Menu, All Programs, JAWS X (where X is the JAWS version number), Explore JAWS, Explore My Settings and open the PlaceMarkers folder. The users can now navigate that HTML page with your PlaceMarkers.

Custom Page Summary

When you open an HTML page, the Custom Page Summary feature automatically lists each PlaceMarker on the page and its associated text. This lets you quickly review the text located near your PlaceMarkers so you can hear any changes or updates to those areas of the page. To enable or disable this feature, do the following:

  1. Open Settings Center (INSERT+F2) or Quick Settings (INSERT+V).
  2. In the Search edit box, type "PlaceMarker" without the quotes.
  3. Press DOWN ARROW to move to Custom PlaceMarker Page Summary in the filtered results of the tree view. (Note that for Web browsers, this option appears in both the Virtual Cursor Options group and the Personalized Web Settings group.)
  4. Press SPACEBAR to toggle through the following settings.
  • Select "Speak PlaceMarkers on Page Load" to have JAWS read the name of each PlaceMarker on the current page as well as the text that appears near the PlaceMarker's location.
  • Select "List PlaceMarkers in Results Viewer on Page Load" to have JAWS display the PlaceMarker information for the page in the Results Viewer. The Results Viewer provides a link with the name of the PlaceMarker and the text that appears near the PlaceMarker's location on the page. You can use the ARROW keys to move to a link and then press ENTER to move to that PlaceMarker.
  • Select "Do Nothing" to have JAWS provide a custom page summary.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.