Off topic, accessible books,

Pablo Morales

Hi all,

I am starting this semester, and I have bunches of books in PDF. According with the publishers the books are accessible because jaws is able to read the text. However I find that these books are a mess when I try to read them with a screen reader.

  • The Pdf files don’t have any type of heading, so I can’t know which is a main title or a subtitle.
  • On the book are text boxes on the sides of the chapter information. The screen reader reads the text from both parts at the same time so I have no way to know which is the text that I should be reading. It makes the reading experience very confusing.

Anybody know a company  that will be able to prepare this document as a word document, in the correct order, with the correct headings on titles and subtitles?

It is urgent guys,

Thanks in advance for any help.

Drew Hunthausen

Does your college have any support for text book format at the DSS center if there is one? I know when I was in college a few years ago they would take the text from the publisher if there was one and format it.

Drew Hunthausen

The No Excuses Blind Guy

#1 Blind and Hearing Impaired Motivational Speaker, Triathlete,

& International Best Selling Author

Get my free guide, The Five Keys To Living A No Excuses Life Filled With Joy, Peace, and Prosperity!

http://DrewsInspirations.com

To book Drew for your event go to

http://bookdrew.com

(714) 296-7111

With an Attitude of Gratitude and no excuses, The Best Is Yet To Come!

http://noexcusesblindguy.com

I am starting this semester, and I have bunches of books in PDF. According with the publishers the books are accessible because jaws is able to read the text. However I find that these books are a mess when I try to read them with a screen reader.

  • The Pdf files don’t have any type of heading, so I can’t know which is a main title or a subtitle.
  • On the book are text boxes on the sides of the chapter information. The screen reader reads the text from both parts at the same time so I have no way to know which is the text that I should be reading. It makes the reading experience very confusing.

Anybody know a company  that will be able to prepare this document as a word document, in the correct order, with the correct headings on titles and subtitles?

It is urgent guys,

Thanks in advance for any help.

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

You might try this utility called Codex, to see if it will convert from PDF to word. But if there are truly no headings in the PDF, it probably cannot create them.

Richard

On Aug 12, 2017, at 5:02 PM, Drew Hunthausen <dhunthausen@...> wrote:

[...]

No, on the PDF files are not headings as tags. Visually the titles look like a main title or a sub title, but they are not tagged.

[...]

Well, have you checked that your books are not available on Bookshare?
Or, try the Codex utility and see what you get.
Richard

(Sent from the iPod Touch 6)

On Aug 12, 2017, at 5:26 PM, Pablo Morales <pablocmd2014@...> wrote:

[...]

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

The hard way would be to paste in Word, and create headings as you go. Bookshare and their request option would certainly be the preferred choice, I should think.

[...]

Carol Smith

The Codex program will allow you to convert to epub and that format will hold your formatting, if there is any.  Also, if you know how to navigate through headings and such, you can also save the books to .docx.

Carol

On 8/12/2017 7:44 PM, Pablo Morales wrote:

[...]

A software is not able to do this. Let me try to describe  the situation. The publishers sent me these books,(they are not in bookshare). These books visually have main titles, subtitles, and other type of format or fonts that identify what are the hierarchy of titles and points in these books. They are not tagged. So converting these books to word is not a choice, copying and pasting is not a choice either, each book is over 800 pages, and I have no time or way to know which is a heading level 3 or heading level 2. I need someone telling me if a heading in the PDF is parent or child of a previous title.

More over, for some reason that I don’t want to know. Publishers now likes to add text boxes on the sides of the pages with complementary information, or notes,  or just tips related with the topic in those chapters. Keeping the format is no the solution because the way how the screen reader will read it is going to be so confusing. I need take those text boxes at the end of the chapter, I need those notes as bookmarks that are link with points in the chapter.

All of these require human intervention.

Should be someone on the world able to do this. How companies modify Policies  documents or documentation that is not available in word?

How disable people do these?

Copying and pasting, or depending of bookshare, or using text conversion software?

No come on guys, How many of you are going to school.

Do you get your books from bookshare?

You tag your documents manually?

How do you handle text boxes on the sides of the pages in these cases?

For how long you have to work on that.

[...]

Pablo,
I'm sorry you are in this situation.
does your school have a Disabled Student Services office?
Are they not able to help more?
Otherwise, it sounds like you would have to hire someone to do this manually since the publisher did not provide you with a good version with the headings. That is simply awful.
Richard

On Aug 12, 2017, at 7:01 PM, Pablo Morales <pablocmd2014@...> wrote:

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

When I went to University in the early 90’s I paid a few hundred Dollars each semester to buy my text books just as any other student, then I also bought 3   APH tape recorders and tried to find volunteers who would read the books on tape for me and, if I was lucky, didn’t forget to mark new pages and chapters with the audible tone you could hear when doing fast forward or rewind.

I already had a scanner then and the Arkenstone OCR software (this later became Openbook) and sometimes I had a print/copy centre remove the binding, 3-hole punch all the pages and put them in a binder. This way I could run them through the document feeder on my scanner 20 or 30 pages at a time and deal with whatever result I got. Those were the days.

Regards,

Sieghard

[...]

Hi Richard and all,

My problem is that the accessibility department doesn’t want to do this. They don’t apply headings on word documents. They just do not understand why headings hierarchy are important. I have been in this battle for a few years. The other problem is that for some reason, other reason that I don’t want to know. My school published the titles and ISBN of the books required a few days, and my classes starts tomorrow.

I will hire someone to do this. I was looking if you guys know any company able to do this.

Thanks any way,

[...]

What school do you go to? Is it in the U.S.? The only reason I’m asking is because often small schools who don’t have the resources or knowledge to get books in the correct formats for students will contract with larger universities who do. You could even contact some larger universities yourself and see what they might be able to help you with.

Drew Hunthausen

The No Excuses Blind Guy

[...]

There is NNELS in Canada, and they will deliver any book you send them in a usable format, but I am guessing the free part is reserved for local citizens?

[...]

Angel

When I attended University some 48 years ago now, I arranged to borrow my books from the University book store, early in the summer .  Previous to the year in which they would be required.  I sent them to be recorded at Learning Ally.  Or as it was called at that time "Recording For The Blind".  You might want to consider doing the same thing,  If you hadn't done so before my post.

[...]

I go to UNCG. It is University of North Carolina in Greensboro. It is a state University. However here are two things to consider.

1.       The list of books was published one week before classes started, and I received the book in PDF from the publisher this last Friday. My semester starts tomorrow.

2.       The accessibility department doesn’t know anything about the creation of headings, or why is important the structure of a book. They just don’t know and they say that they don’t have enough resources. I have been fighting this battle  for years. Moreover, they don’t provide graphic description because they say that they don’t have the qualifications to be able to describe graphics. They say that the professor is who should provide the graphic description. It not always happen.

Here are so many issues to fix, so many battles to fight, and I have no time for all of that. I rather to pay someone and no more problems. If is something wrong with the conversion, I have a phone number and a receipt, so I can request for a solution. These kind of things are not possible with free services.

3.

[...]

So is this something that is not mandated my law in North Carolina? I know when I was in college at long beach state university in California I had to fight for a lot of the accomodations but ended up getting what I needed because it was mandated that the school provide it.

Drew Hunthausen

The No Excuses Blind Guy

[...]

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for this tip, I had never heard about this organisation.

Regards,

Sieghard

[...]

Yes, it is mandatory by law. The problem is that there is no a line that says a document from here is accessible and what ever below this line is not accessible. Accessibilitty is a very complex term that is difficult to explain. What makes a word document accessible is more complex. A lot of times people belive that if a screen reader is able to read information on a web page, it means that the web page is accessible. But it is not true. Accessibility imply a lot of things more.

[...]

You are totally correct. I guess I was lucky in that the adaptive tech people at my school understood this and had someone who would edit the texts from the publishers to put in this info.

Drew Hunthausen

The No Excuses Blind Guy