Fonts change in latest JAWS

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

Hi all. The latest JAWS 18.0.4104 seems to have affected the system font in Windows 7.

Let me explain. My sighted wife and I both have Win7 PCs, but we have JAWS on both PCs in case I need to do some system
admin stuff on her computer. Recently, I was on her computer, and JAWS prompted me to upgrade to the latest 18.0.4104.
After doing so, my wife sat down to use her computer, and immediately reported a change in the fonts - the icon name
under desktop icons, the names of menus in the menu bars of applications such as MS Word and Google Chrome, etc. I had
her come over and look at my PC, already on 18.0.4104, and she reported the same issue on my system.

Of course, with my crappy eyesight, I didn't notice any font change on either system. But I do have enough residual
vision that I can use ZoomText (from AISquared) to enlarge the fonts so that they are large enough for me to see. And
they look fine to me, single-pixel width fonts as I would expect. Yet my (non-technical) wife complains of a change.

She says they look "lower resolution". She says the font size hasn't changed, the icon and menu names are the same size.
But she says the letters seems to be drawn thinner, they aren't as bold as they used to be, and as a result, they are
harder for her to see. Well, I am low vision, as I said, and my fonts have always appeared this way to me when I examine
them closely.

I'm left with the conclusion that my wife had somehow done some non-default customization to her system fonts, and the
latest JAWS somehow undid this customization. Unfortunately, just poking around in system settings, I did not
immediately find any controls that would affect system font appearance.

Okay, I know most JFW list readers are blind, so I'm not expecting to find Windows font experts on this list. LOL. But
perhaps someone at Freedom Scientific will read this post, and perhaps they know something about the issue, and how I
might go about restoring my wife's computer fonts to their previous state.

Thanks for any help.
-Paul

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

Replying to my own post here... I finally found the "Window Color and Appearance" dialog, which allows me to set the
font, size, bold, italics, etc, of icons and menus. This will allow my wife to set it to whatever she wants.

But I still believe the fact that a JAWS install changes these settings at all is an issue for Freedom Scientific to
investigate and resolve.
-Paul

[...]

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Paul,

To my knowledge no one from FS / VFO is a member of this list.  But, nowhere does it say that you have to be totally blind to use Jaws!  Cll FS / VFO tech support, & explain that you are low vision, that updating to the latest J18 build screwed up your settings, & ask them if they can show you how to get your settings back to being brighter or however else you need them.  Don't tell them anything about your wife's computer just act like they're both your computers.  I don't advocate lying, but sometimes they just don't need to know everything.  LOL
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

[...]

Hi Again, Paul,

A quick note, don't use the updating option that's in Jaws!  Allow it to notify you, but that's it!  Always go to the FS VFO website,, download the build you want, & run / install it from your computer.  Also, whenever there's a Jaws update I always post the direct download links with what's new for the new build.  FS VFO also recommends not using the Jaws update option as well, they recommend downloading from their website & installing from your computer.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Replying to my own post here... I finally found the "Window Color and Appearance" dialog, which allows me to set the
font, size, bold, italics, etc, of icons and menus. This will allow my wife to set it to whatever she wants.

But I still believe the fact that a JAWS install changes these settings at all is an issue for Freedom Scientific to
investigate and resolve.
   -Paul

Robin Frost

Hi,
You say:
“FS VFO also recommends not using the Jaws update option as well, they recommend downloading from their website & installing from your computer.”

I can find nothing in writing that corroborates this and I find it odd that if it isn’t a recommended practice to use the updating service built into the program why then VFO FS or  any company for that matter would offer such a means.
While I myself always get the installer packages it seems to me to be more a matter of choice as opposed to best practices as set forth by the software manufacturer unless I’m missing some written directive posted in their support notices very recently.
Robin

A quick note, don't use the updating option that's in Jaws!  Allow it to notify you, but that's it!  Always go to the FS VFO website,, download the build you want, & run / install it from your computer.  Also, whenever there's a Jaws update I always post the direct download links with what's new for the new build.  FS VFO also recommends not using the Jaws update option as well, they recommend downloading from their website & installing from your computer.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Replying to my own post here... I finally found the "Window Color and Appearance" dialog, which allows me to set the
font, size, bold, italics, etc, of icons and menus. This will allow my wife to set it to whatever she wants.

But I still believe the fact that a JAWS install changes these settings at all is an issue for Freedom Scientific to
investigate and resolve.
   -Paul

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

It’s not in their support notices or in the documentation. It’s something they tell you if you call them and ask them which method they recommend. They provide the other option for those instances where JAWS needs to be updated, and a firewall blocks going directly to their site and downloading the update.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

A quick note, don't use the updating option that's in Jaws!  Allow it to notify you, but that's it!  Always go to the FS VFO website,, download the build you want, & run / install it from your computer.  Also, whenever there's a Jaws update I always post the direct download links with what's new for the new build.  FS VFO also recommends not using the Jaws update option as well, they recommend downloading from their website & installing from your computer.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Replying to my own post here... I finally found the "Window Color and Appearance" dialog, which allows me to set the
font, size, bold, italics, etc, of icons and menus. This will allow my wife to set it to whatever she wants.

But I still believe the fact that a JAWS install changes these settings at all is an issue for Freedom Scientific to
investigate and resolve.
   -Paul

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Robin,

I'm sorry you feel that I'm posting erroneous information, but although they don't say on the website that they recommend downloading the builds / updates & to install them from your computer, I've been told many times by FS tech support to do so.  On the other hand below is what it says on the website about installing new versions.

main region
JAWS Downloads
JAWS Screen Reading Software

 The latest version of JAWS can be downloaded using the links below.             For new installations,             download and save the executable file
to your PC and install from there. Make sure to download the correct version (64-bit or 32-bit) for your computer,             which we have detected is
a 64-bit computer. Instructions to verify whether you have a 64-bit or 32-bit computer can be found at the bottom of this page.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

A quick note, don't use the updating option that's in Jaws!  Allow it to notify you, but that's it!  Always go to the FS VFO website,, download the build you want, & run / install it from your computer.  Also, whenever there's a Jaws update I always post the direct download links with what's new for the new build.  FS VFO also recommends not using the Jaws update option as well, they recommend downloading from their website & installing from your computer.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Replying to my own post here... I finally found the "Window Color and Appearance" dialog, which allows me to set the
font, size, bold, italics, etc, of icons and menus. This will allow my wife to set it to whatever she wants.

But I still believe the fact that a JAWS install changes these settings at all is an issue for Freedom Scientific to
investigate and resolve.
   -Paul

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

What I forgot to add is, they don't say to run the new version installer from the website, they say to download & run from your computer, but since that isn't written in stone that's a personal choice as well, just like updating.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

A quick note, don't use the updating option that's in Jaws!  Allow it to notify you, but that's it!  Always go to the FS VFO website,, download the build you want, & run / install it from your computer.  Also, whenever there's a Jaws update I always post the direct download links with what's new for the new build.  FS VFO also recommends not using the Jaws update option as well, they recommend downloading from their website & installing from your computer.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Replying to my own post here... I finally found the "Window Color and Appearance" dialog, which allows me to set the
font, size, bold, italics, etc, of icons and menus. This will allow my wife to set it to whatever she wants.

But I still believe the fact that a JAWS install changes these settings at all is an issue for Freedom Scientific to
investigate and resolve.
   -Paul

Robin Frost

Hi,
Goodness me I never accused anyone of posting “erroneous” anything as that’s quite a strong and loaded term. I merely asked a question about the way the information was presented as since I hadn’t seen it written officially I was led to wonder whether it was official protocol or merely personal preference. Pointing out that such a difference can exist is by no means tantamount to classifying information as “erroneous.”  I could imagine many scenarios when tech support could advise doing so in various situations as usually when people are communicating with them something has already gone wrong which is quite different than normal use scenarios.
I do believe I also allowed for the fact that it was a matter of personal choice as many things in computing can be I.E. the way people organize files, the way people launch programs. I for one am glad there are many ways to do things. I was merely questioning the characterization of it being the correct way or merely a different way that’s all.
Questioning something in an effort to hopefully understand more fully is not equal to discounting a concept or thought. It’s merely a question.