Jaws & desktop issues

Laura Richardson

Hello,

There are two issues I’m having regarding Jaws and my desktop which I’ll describe below …… Using Windows 10, Jaws 18, MS Word 2016.

When I go to the desktop by pressing windows + m Jaws will always say desktop folder view list view and the name of the icon that’s highlighted …… No problems with this.

When I go to the desktop by pressing windows + d I get a variation of what Jaws tells me:

*Sometimes it only says the name of the icon that’s highlighted (it does not say desktop or anything else, just the name of the icon)

*Sometimes it says “folder view list view” and the name of the icon that’s highlighted (but not desktop or anything else)

*Sometimes it says desktop 1 and something about shell something or another …… This one doesn’t happen as often as the other things Jaws says when I go to the desktop which is why I don’t have exactly what Jaws says.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason and I never know which one of these Jaws is going to say when I go to the desktop by pressing Windows +d.

The other issue is that no matter which way I go to the desktop, when I press insert + t Jaws always says “documents” …… This happens no matter what icon is highlighted.

Does anybody have any suggestions or answers as to why these things are occurring? …… Thank you for any help.

Laura

Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...>

It’s normal for Jaws to say folder view.

Try using windows m instead of windows d.

Hope this helps.

Pastor Gil

[...]

I understand that but it doesn’t seem normal for Jaws to randomly give me variations of what it says when I go to the desktop …… I’m just trying to find out why this is happening, as well as why every time I press insert + t Jaws says “documents” instead of “desktop”.

Laura

Laura

[...]

Ben Humphreys <brhbrh@...>

Hi Laura,

it seems Win+D and Win+M are not exactly the same thing.

Win+D specifically shows the desktop but JAWS doesn't speak "Desktop" as it should

Win+M minimizes everything it can then JAWS speaks "Desktop"

You can definitively verify for yourself where Win+anything takes you using JAWS+q
This will announce the currently running program.

So, Win+D then JAWS+Q says shcore.dll
And Win+M then JAWS+Q says shell32.dll

So JAWS knows shell32 is desktop. But it doesn't know shcore.dll is also desktop.

Perhaps this "bug" was introduced in Windows 10 when Microsoft renamed shlwapi.dll to shcore.dll. We can see that Freedom at one time had the former speaking "Desktop" but has not updated it for the latter (see script file "Windows OS.jss")

So Win+M is going to give you the consistent results you're after until VFO fixes.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Ben

At 04:06 PM 7/31/2017, you wrote:
[...]

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the information ...... This helps a lot.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

You know with mine, first thing, Windows M will not bring me
to the Desktop only Windows D, whereupon it says Recycle,
which, of course, I know is the first icon on my Desktop.
Before I go to the Desktop, if I press Insert T, JAWS says,
lost focus, press Alt Tab, well, of course, I have done
that, got me as far as spitting in the wind, then Windows M,
no go, but Windows D gets me there. More and more, as
computers are supposed to get better, I have more and more
burdens. In Outlook now, when I come into the Inbox, I have
to go to the Server box, then back to the Inbox, then press
Alt+Tab before any emails will arrive. I don't know how my
husband and I managed to figure that out, but I can say it
is a downright nuisance, and I think a totally unnecessary
problem. In word, sometimes, the last document I closed goes
to the bottom of the folders - why, I haven't the slightest
idea, just a little thing that required extra thought on my
part to find the thing. For 12 years, I used JAWS and
Windows system without having to endure such nonsense. It
just makes me wonder what imposition is around the corner.
If I sound disgusted, then, I have gotten my point across.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

Have you called Microsoft Accessibility to ask for help with some of the problems, e.g. the Windows+M not working, your Outlook issue etc.?
I am just asking because I have 5 desktops at my retail store which all run Windows 7 and Jaws 18 and I have an older laptop and a new one both with Windows 10 and Jaws 18 and Windows+M which ios a Windows command always works, at best I might have to press it twice, but usually it works first time. Similarly when I open Outlook the Inbox opens and emails start coming in so I would say your issues are not universal hence they should be fixable and this is where Microsoft Accessibility comes in. If you have problems which you can reproduce and show them after they log i nt o your system there is a very good chance they might be able to help you.
It's OK to point out shortcomings and to be disgusted, but only if you are willing to ask for help to see if the situation can be improved.
A while back I ahd terrible lag issues in Outlook to the point where even for my sighted employees who don't need Jaws the application crashed or ground to a stop. Nothing I did seemed to help until somebody from Microsoft accessibility suggested I might want to delete all my accounts including their local data files. I use Outlook.com for my personal email and Office 365 for my business email so I knew deleting all of this information would simply result in a fresh local copy getting downloaded when I set up the accounts again. I did this and ever since Outlook is responsive and I have no issues. My data files especially for the business account are very large because I archive a lot of emails often with attachments and apparently something had gotten corrupted and deleting and resyncing the account made a world of difference. This is just one example where asking for help eventually solved my problem.

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Its a trend that some sighted people just dont get and since they are in charge...

On 8/2/2017 9:01 AM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
[...]

I have been in contact with Microsoft Disability and with
VFO. No solution.

Best from,

Carolyn

It is, indeed, their world. Most of the problem is that they simply have no idea. They do not wish us harm, just don't get it. sonshines59@gmail.com

[...]

I'm still getting various announcements when pressing Windows D on top of
the ones I already listed in my original post but not once has it ever said
"desktop". Windows M almost always takes me to the desktop and says desktop
but sometimes it won't take me there ...... It just doesn't do anything
except say "Windows m and then nothing. I also have the same issue you
mentioned in Word about the last file closed being at the bottom of the list
...... This does not happen every time ...... Just randomly.

Laura

[...]

Just now when I pressed alt + s to send this message Jaws said "document 6"
...... That's the first time this has happened ......

Laura

[...]

I'm not Carolyn but I'm responding because she has some of the same issues
going on that I do ...... Hope you don't mind ...... I have called Microsoft
more than once regarding these issues and they told me they don't know why
these things are happening ......

[...]

Thanks, Laura for the commiseration. It just is what it is.
As my husband says that the best thing is figure out what
can be done and just go with it.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

Why not use the regular Outlook shortcut for sending a message which is Control+Enter. If you never used it you'll be asked if from now on you want to enable it and that is that.

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

What list are you talking about in Word?