Web sites issue

Laura Richardson

Hello,

During the past few days, when I enter on a link from a web site for a specific page, sometimes I get a fairly long message saying something about “the security of this site cannot be verified”.  When this happens I cannot get it to go away; when I press alt + f4 or try to go back to the previous page Jaws just keeps repeating this message.  This morning it happened again and I kept pressing alt + f4 about six or seven times and finally it got me off the internet.

Sometimes this occurs and sometimes not.  The web sites I’m speaking of are ones that I’ve used regularly for a long time without any problems …… This does not happen every time and does not happen on all web sites.

One of the web sites is accuweather.com …… I go to this site, read the three day local forecast, and then click on extended forecast”.

Again, this problem does not occur every time and it does happen on some other web sites.  I’m using Jaws 18, Windows 10, and IE 11.  Does anybody have any thoughts on why this is happening?  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Laura

Mike Ulrich <mulrich@...>

Hi Laura, have you ran a scan lately?

Almost sounds like you might of picked up either a virus or some malware?

[...]

I ran a Malware scan a couple of weeks ago …… nothing found at that time.  Is Windows defender something I need to run a scan to check for this or does it automatically do this for me?  I don’t have any other virus protection software on this system.

Laura

[...]

Laura,

BTW: you should only have one anti virus program that stays running. If you have more than that, it’ll cause all kinds of problems.

I don’t know much about Windows Defender, as I run the old Microsoft Security Essentials. But it sounds like you might be virus and malware clear.

I’ll have to pass your question off to others on this list.

Sorry I couldn’t help.

[...]

Thank’s for responding …… I hope others will chime in with what I might do to solve this issue.

[...]

Richard B. McDonald

Hi Laura!

you may want to check some of your settings in IE 11 Tools > Internet Options > Security / Privacy / Content.

HTH,

Richard

[...]

Richard Turner

It may be just IE 11.
Have you tried Mozilla FireFox?
I use it exclusively these days. IE ends up doing too many odd things along with with eating CPU resources.
Richard

On Jul 27, 2017, at 5:23 AM, Laura Richardson <laurakr65@...> wrote:

[...]

HH. Smith Jr.

Laura,

Have you tried resetting the advance settings in internet options. It is the last tab. If that doesn’t work try resetting internet explorer

Keeping your personal settings.

[...]

I’ve not checked the settings in IE 11 nor have I tried to reset the settings …… I don’t know what the settings need to be and I don’t want to change things that might make matters worse ……

[...]

The only browser I’ve ever used is IE ……

Laura

[...]

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Hello Laura,

You may wish to install another browser since I believe I E’s days are numbered.

[...]

“Speak of the devil”, I just heard an announcement from Windows Defender that it scanned my P C 5 times and no threats were found.

Have you received any such announcements?

Cheers Kevin.

[...]

I just got this computer a couple of months ago and I’ve never had any announcement from Windows Defender ……

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I have the same complaint, and it is of recent onset.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

Same here. Well, I tried Fire Fox, did not like it.

Best from,

Carolyn

One of the web sites is accuweather.com <http://accuweather.com> …… I go to this site, read the three day local forecast, and then click on extended forecast”.

Again, this problem does not occur every time and it does happen on some other web sites. I’m using Jaws 18, Windows 10, and IE 11. Does anybody have any thoughts on why this is happening? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Laura

Mike Ulrich <mulrich@...>

Me too, I thought firefox/Mozilla sucked. I guess in order to use Firefox/Mozilla you have to do a bit of accessibility set up so it'll work with JAWS?

[...]

I definitely prefer I E, but some people on this list in the past, said that they prefer Firefox for some particular web sites.

[...]

Yes, I actually prefer IE, but my bank's website doesn't play well with JAWS and IE, so I have to do battle with Mozilla so I can log onto my account on that bank's website. Because in IE, JAWS won't see the log on button. Go figure, right?

[...]

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Defender is always running but it is a good idea to do a full scan once in a while.
It sounds like you know how so I would do a full scan now.

On 7/27/2017 5:07 AM, Mike Ulrich wrote:

[...]

No it works just as is... I dont like the way book marks or the history.
are handled but otherwise it works fine. there are some sites that display better with firefox but IE is my primary browser. Chrome works way better than it used too but it has the same problem with book marks and history.
As for IE Of course if it works well for blind people it will be phased out... You cant have IE anymore here is Edge it is so much better... Yeah right.