Problem deleting files

Laura Richardson

Hello,

Using a Dell laptop with Windows 10, Jaws 18, MS Word 2016 …… What I describe below has been happening since I got this computer less than two months ago.

Two different things are happening when I want to delete a file:

1.  Sometimes when I press delete to get rid of a file Jaws says nothing and I have to press alt + tab to get back to the documents and that file is gone …… Jaws does not ask me if I’m sure I want to delete this file.

2.  Sometimes when I press delete Jaws says “this will cancel all transfers in progress” and tells me to press the space bar …… Whether I press the space bar or not Jaws repeatedly tells me this message …… I have to press alt + f4 several times to make this go away so I can alt tab back to the documents at which point that file has been deleted.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which scenario is going to happen when I want to delete a file.  Has anybody dealt with this before? …… Is it possibly some kind of setting that’s not set correctly? …… I just want to press delete and have Jaws ask me if I’m sure I want to delete as I’ve always done in the past.

Laura

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Laura. Part of your problem is because something is not set correctly for the Recycle properties.

1. Find your Recycle Bin.

2. Press ALT plus ENTER to get into the properties of the Recycle Bin.

3. If you are in the General properties, which is what usually comes up first, tab until you see the following setting:

Display delete confirmation dialog

4. Make sure this is checked with the SpaceBar.

5. Tab to Apply and Press Enter.

6. Tab to OK and press ENTER again.

That should get back the “Are you sure?” dialog you should get when deleting a file.

The other problem is that JAWS is losing focus when you are trying to delete the file, and you are on a “Cancel button. This could be for a download in progress, or a Cancel button for the deletion itself.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

[...]

Bill,

I went to the recycle bin, pressed alt + enter, and Jaws said I was on the general page.  The next step you give is to tab to the setting but when I tab there are only three choices; restore, okay, and cancel.  I pressed escape and closed the recycle bin …… Not sure why this is and what I need to do to get to that particular setting.

Laura

[...]

Dave...

Laura,

Possibly you have file synchronization turned on, and you are interrupting the synch process?

Dave

Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 10:36

[...]

ratshtron

hmmm, sounds like you have pressed enter on the
recycle ben and you have selected a file there to
open the properties of that file. you must find
the recycle ben on the desktop and at that point
press alt plus enter. you should then be able to
tab to the checkbox you are looking for.

<mailto:Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com>Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

[...]

Hi, Laura. When you find the Recycle Bin on the desktop, don’t open it. Just press ALT plus ENTER. If you open the recycle bin first, you will be trying to change the properties of the files in the Recycle Bin.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

[...]

I had pressed enter on the recycle bin ...... I went back to the recycle bin
but did not press enter as you suggested ...... I successfully found the
checkbox and fixed this problem ...... Thank you very much ......

Laura

[...]

Your detailed instructions were very helpful …… I went back and without pressing enter on the recycle bin I was able to successfully find the checkbox and make the necessary change.  What used to take “literally” minutes to delete a file now gets done in a matter of seconds …… Much more efficient and also seems to have adjusted a couple of other minor things that didn’t seem quite right.  Thank you for your help!

Laura

[...]

Hi, Laura. I'm glad you got that problem solved.

Bill White
[...]

Chris

To make it simple right click on the recycle bin and select properties then tab through to the check box to show a dialog box when deleting files.

Then apply then ok job done!