Combo & list boxes/Please help

Laura Richardson

Hello,

I’ve come across a combo box on a web site that is different from others I’ve encountered.  Usually I open the combo box by pressing alt + down arrow and then I use my up and down arrow keys to find the item I want to select and then press enter.

When I open this combo box Jaws says “list box” …… Is it common to have a list box inside of a combo box?  I don’t know how to open a list box and navigate it to make my selection …… Could somebody please help?

Laura

Maria Campbell

I'm also finding more and more difficulty dealing with combo boxes.  Amazon is a problem, at least at a wedding registry page.

lucky1inct@...
--St. Francis

On 7/21/2017 9:51 PM, Laura Richardson wrote:

Hello,

I’ve come across a combo box on a web site that is different from others I’ve encountered.  Usually I open the combo box by pressing alt + down arrow and then I use my up and down arrow keys to find the item I want to select and then press enter.

When I open this combo box Jaws says “list box” …… Is it common to have a list box inside of a combo box?  I don’t know how to open a list box and navigate it to make my selection …… Could somebody please help?

Laura

Shirley Tracy

I posted the same question a few weeks ago. I believe that the best answer I got was that you may be on a web site where things are moving. (That isn't exactly the right term, but at the moment I can't think of a better way to say it).

More web sites are becoming compatible, and I am not having as much trouble.

Shirley Tracy
author
OPERATION CODE CHARLIE
now available at major book sellers

=============

lucky1inct@gmail.com
--St. Francis

On 7/21/2017 9:51 PM, Laura Richardson wrote:

Hello,

I’ve come across a combo box on a web site that is different from
others I’ve encountered. Usually I open the combo box by pressing alt
+ down arrow and then I use my up and down arrow keys to find the item
I want to select and then press enter.

When I open this combo box Jaws says “list box” …… Is it common to
have a list box inside of a combo box? I don’t know how to open a
list box and navigate it to make my selection …… Could somebody please
help?

Laura

Maria Campbell

I call those busy sites and I'm finding more and more of them with JAWS not handling them well.

lucky1inct@gmail.com
--St. Francis

On 7/22/2017 10:26 AM, Shirley Tracy wrote:
[...]

Mike Ulrich <mulrich@...>

I know it’s crazy with todays combo boxes, drop downs or what ever you want to call them!

This is one of the many examples of how the blind are always having to play catch up with internet browsers and websites!

It’s a bunch of verified crap!

I'm also finding more and more difficulty dealing with combo boxes.  Amazon is a problem, at least at a wedding registry page.

lucky1inct@...
--St. Francis

On 7/21/2017 9:51 PM, Laura Richardson wrote:

Hello,

I’ve come across a combo box on a web site that is different from others I’ve encountered.  Usually I open the combo box by pressing alt + down arrow and then I use my up and down arrow keys to find the item I want to select and then press enter.

When I open this combo box Jaws says “list box” …… Is it common to have a list box inside of a combo box?  I don’t know how to open a list box and navigate it to make my selection …… Could somebody please help?

Laura

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Just pressing spacebar usually opens a combo box for me.

Windows 10, Jaws 18, I e.

Although yesterday, after editing some edit fields and combo boxes when I pressed submit one of the combo boxes stubbornly remained empty.

Cheers

I’ve come across a combo box on a web site that is different from others I’ve encountered.  Usually I open the combo box by pressing alt + down arrow and then I use my up and down arrow keys to find the item I want to select and then press enter.

When I open this combo box Jaws says “list box” …… Is it common to have a list box inside of a combo box?  I don’t know how to open a list box and navigate it to make my selection …… Could somebody please help?

Laura

Dave...

These sites often use a "carousel" effect, which is a part of the site that
changes what it displays as a sighted user watches. When they see something
they like, a simple mouse click will launch that item. This carousel effect
can also be used in lists, and I agree that this is likely what Laura might
be experiencing.

Consider a list of choices that is displayed when you open a combo list
titled "beverages". Then picture that this list is restricted to just 4
items to save space on the web page. It could initially offer things like
coffee, tea, cocoa, and water. But as there are usually more than just those
four choices, the list begins to scroll through many other choices, changing
the list just like an escalator, which means that JAWS can't update the
changes in real time.

I wonder if it's possible to virtualize the list or the window to see if
that would freeze the list momentarily to allow us to view it. However if
the list is changing dynamically in the background it seems reasonable that
the virtualized list would soon be outdated.

I'm not sure what we can do with our current JAWS tools, but this might be
what we are experiencing.

Dave

[...]

I understand what you're saying about the "carousel" effect but I don't
think that is the issue in this case. There are only four choices ......
the one that is selected by default is not the one I need which is why it is
necessary to make a change in this box. I guess it comes down to utilizing
tech support from Freedom Scientific and/or Microsoft Disability Help or
finding a sighted person to come to my home ...... (heavy sigh)

Laura

[...]

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

If that is the case maybe disableing page refraes will help.

On 7/22/2017 7:49 AM, Dave... wrote:
[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

If the site doesn't require a login, could you provide the URL as I am sure some of us would like to take a look.

[...]

Just trying to be helpfull as you probly already tried this: open the combo box then down arrow once hit enter then try to proceed then down arrow twice etc.... Do this until you get what you want. I realize this may not be viable in this situation but that is the last thing I can think of short of having a sighted person do it. Witch is the only way I can get some pages to work. :)

[...]

I would love for others on this list to be able to take a look at this but
it is a site that requires a login ...... Thanks for the offer ......

Laura