simply do not alt tab;suggested solution for using Adobe

Tusing <ptusing@...>

HI, all,
I contacted people who told me if they alt tabbed in adocument using Adobe with JAWS 16-7, that everything freezes.
So I contacted F S.
I was told that Adobe works perfectly; simply do not ever alt tab.
I realize what I was hearing was an off-the-cuff minority opinion.
This issue has been a known issue since last summer and involves 2 of the latest versions of JAWS.
I like the product and most of the people at F S.

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 03:24 pm, ptusing <ptusing@...> wrote:
simply do not ever alt tab.

 Yeah, right.  This is akin to telling a computer user who can't see the system tray to "simply do not ever breathe."

Oy!

Brian

judith bron

Or like telling the same blind computer user to pick up a mouse and will it to do what you think.  Alt tabbing is as normal as breathing.  JB

 Yeah, right.  This is akin to telling a computer user who can't see the system tray to "simply do not ever breathe."

Oy!

Brian

Russell Solowoniuk

I had this issue since last spring on my computer at work, however, I’m not sure exactly what changed but this stopped happening to me sometime in late October. It was still happening with Jaws 17 at first, but no longer. I haven’t tried to go back to Jaws 16 and try it, but will do so when I get a chance. Maybe Adobe fixed it in one of their updates, as FS said it wasn’t their issue but Adobe’s. I was also told not to alt tab as a solution… hence my hesitation in contacting FS tech support with my latest issue in edit fields. :)

Cheers,

Russell

On Jan 31, 2016, at 4:24 PM, ptusing <ptusing@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

HI, all,
I contacted people who told me if they alt tabbed in adocument using Adobe with JAWS 16-7, that everything freezes.
So I contacted F S.
I was told that Adobe works perfectly; simply do not ever alt tab.
I realize what I was hearing was an off-the-cuff minority opinion.
This issue has been a known issue since last summer and involves 2 of the latest versions of JAWS.
I like the product and most of the people at F S.

Jason White

Russell Solowoniuk <rsolowoniuk@gmail.com> wrote:
Maybe Adobe fixed it in one of their updates, as FS said it wasn’t
their issue but Adobe’s. I was also told not to alt tab as a solution… hence
my hesitation in contacting FS tech support with my latest issue in edit
fields. :)
To be fair to the technical support person, if it wasn't their bug but
Adobe's, then there might not have been any other practical work-around until
Adobe fixed it in an update. "Just don't do the action that triggers the bug
until it's fixed" seems to me to be good advice.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 04:33 am, Jason White <jason@...> wrote:
To be fair to the technical support person, if it wasn't their bug but
Adobe's, then there might not have been any other practical work-around until
Adobe fixed it in an update. "Just don't do the action that triggers the bug
until it's fixed" seems to me to be good advice.

Amen!!  Even the FS Tech Support rep knows that this is a workaround, and a bad one, not a solution.  But when an issue is being triggered due to software interactions that are beyond your control and not of your own making there's nothing to do except identify a workaround and/or either asking the person experiencing the problem to report it to the other vendor or do so yourself.

I've not been front line technical support for a company like FS, but have done help desk type stuff a lot and am front line technical support of a sort in my private business.  There are times when you know what's wrong and it's completely beyond your power to make the fix and it's really frustrating.

What's really frustrating for the end user, though, is you can never really know when these statements are real versus "passing the buck" and both happen.  I've been in a JAWS 17 installation failure vortex where I really can't decide who's dead on accurate versus trying to pass the buck at both FS and Microsoft Accessibility.

Brian

Russell Solowoniuk

Yes, I agree, if it, indeed, wasn't an FS issue, but I'm not convinced this was the case. Jaws versions before Jaws 16 worked fine with Adobe, and it wasn't till updating to Jaws 16 that the issue began occuring. Anyway, it's fixed now, however it got fixed, I don't really care. :)

Russell

Maybe Adobe fixed it in one of their updates, as FS said it wasn’t
their issue but Adobe’s. I was also told not to alt tab as a solution… hence
my hesitation in contacting FS tech support with my latest issue in edit
fields. :)
To be fair to the technical support person, if it wasn't their bug but
Adobe's, then there might not have been any other practical work-around until
Adobe fixed it in an update. "Just don't do the action that triggers the bug
until it's fixed" seems to me to be good advice.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Anybody remember the film “Fire Fox”?  Now those are the smarts we need—make my day!

Ted