Is there a comprehensive/exhaustive list of JAWS keyboard shortcuts?

The standard document that's put up for each release is far from complete.  Maria Campbell mentioned earlier a sequence, insert plus control plus numpad minus, that is not documented anywhere I can find.

On those occasions where esoteric and seldom-used functions might come in really handy, it would be nice if there where a reference that listed the keystrokes needed to invoke them.  If such a list exists I'd love to know about it.

Brian

Nermin

Hi Brian,

there is a whole help chapter divided into various subchapters by functions and areas of use. Just go to “JAWS Help\JAWS shortcuts”. It’s part of the help menu.
Topics include:
1. JAWS shortcuts
2. Laptop Commands
3. Standard Windows Commands
etc.

Regards,
Nermin

Nermin,

Thanks, I'll give this a look.  But what I was hoping for is an actual reference document that one could either print or carry around in electronic format of some sort.  It's handy to have this sort of thing when "plotting strategy" for some things that seldom need to happen.

That layout is exactly parallel to the keystrokes documents, but perhaps the "live content" is more extensive.  That could be helpful in the moment, but not so much when I'm not in front of a computer running JAWS.

Brian

Nermin

Hi Brian,

I forgot to add that some of the commands may be obsolete, since there is reference to quite a number of outdated pieces of software.
What you can always try when in a programme is pressing insert+h, which will give you a list of commands pertaining to a given application, if there are scripts tied to it.
Another way of getting help on commands is to press Insert+1 in an application, which will activate keyboard help mode.
From that point on, the keys you press will not be passed to the application. Instead, JAWS will verbalise a function name if any has been associated with a script. Pressing a key combination twice quickly will cause a longer description of a function to be verbalised.
The same info can be gotten from script manager as well, but that is a little cumbersome and maybe not what you need.

Regards,
Nermin

Nermin

Hi Brian,

so what you were actually hoping for is a quick reference sheet of sorts. As far as I know, no such thing exists. You would need to filter out the commands that interest you during a given training session and build a glossary of sorts yourself.

Regards,
Nermin

Charles Coe

Have you tried using the F1 key in the applications you are working in?

!

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 7:49 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Is there a comprehensive/exhaustive list of JAWS keyboard shortcuts?

Hi Brian,

I forgot to add that some of the commands may be obsolete, since there is reference to quite a number of outdated pieces of software.

What you can always try when in a programme is pressing insert+h, which will give you a list of commands pertaining to a given application, if there are scripts tied to it.

Another way of getting help on commands is to press Insert+1 in an application, which will activate keyboard help mode.

From that point on, the keys you press will not be passed to the application. Instead, JAWS will verbalise a function name if any has been associated with a script. Pressing a key combination twice quickly will cause a longer description of a function to be verbalised.

The same info can be gotten from script manager as well, but that is a little cumbersome and maybe not what you need.

Regards,

Nermin

Nermin,

What I'm looking for is actually the very opposite of a quick reference sheet.  The Keystrokes document that FS puts out with every release, the core of which has remained unchanged for ages (which is unsurprising), is sort of an extended quick reference guide.  I use that extensively.  But there have been multiple mentions on this list of commands I have never seen documented anywhere, and a couple of those have come from me.  For instance, the SHIFT+F6 command that's allowing movement between "control regions" for lack of a better way of phrasing it in Chrome is not documented in the JAWS 17 Keystrokes document.  Of course, since this is doing pretty much the same thing in Firefox, too, it looks like it's a Windows-based command.  But the INS+CTRL+NumPad Plus command Maria mentioned is clearly a JAWS command just based on the key sequence, but I can't find that documented anywhere, either.  I'd just like to know what FS would describe as the function of that aforementioned keystroke combo, among others at times.

Brian

Walt Smith

If you open the Start Menu JAWS item and then open Explore JAWS, you can select Explore Manuals and there's a document named Keystrokes that's available in both .doc and .txt format. This is as close as you're going to get.

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 10:56 AM
Subject: Re: Is there a comprehensive/exhaustive list of JAWS keyboard shortcuts?

Hi Brian,

so what you were actually hoping for is a quick reference sheet of sorts. As far as I know, no such thing exists. You would need to filter out the commands that interest you during a given training session and build a glossary of sorts yourself.

Regards,
Nermin

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 09:03 am, Walt Smith <ka3lists@...> wrote:
document named Keystrokes

Walt,

I have to believe that this is the same Keystrokes document you can download from the FS site under the "Support->Documentation" dropdown then choosing the "JAWS® Screen Reading Software" link.  It's available in HTML, PDF, and plain text formats.  Which brings me back to where I started.

I will, however, check this out in case, by some miracle, what gets exported is not precisely the same as what is available for download.

Brian

Charles Coe

Like I wrote earlier  press the F1 function key.  

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 9:04 AM

If you open the Start Menu JAWS item and then open Explore JAWS, you can select Explore Manuals and there's a document named Keystrokes that's available in both .doc and .txt format. This is as close as you're going to get.

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 10:56 AM

Hi Brian,

Regards,

Nermin

Donna <mermaid7@...>

Could this possibly be what you are looking for? You could print it out if so. 

Donna 

Nermin,

Thanks, I'll give this a look.  But what I was hoping for is an actual reference document that one could either print or carry around in electronic format of some sort.  It's handy to have this sort of thing when "plotting strategy" for some things that seldom need to happen.

That layout is exactly parallel to the keystrokes documents, but perhaps the "live content" is more extensive.  That could be helpful in the moment, but not so much when I'm not in front of a computer running JAWS.

Brian

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Brian,

Take a look at the attached file.  I put together these keystrokes not too long ago, but I don't recall from what version of Jaws I referenced for them.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 7:47 AM

Nermin,

Brian

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Well, I guess the list doesn't allow attachments anymore.
Take care.
Mike

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 11:17 AM

Hi Brian,

Take a look at the attached file.  I put together these keystrokes not too long ago, but I don't recall from what version of Jaws I referenced for them.
Take care.
Mike

Nermin,

Brian

Charles Coe

Hi Mike,

Could you include it in the body of your message?

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 11:37 AM

Take care.
Mike

Hi Brian,

Take care.
Mike

Nermin,

Brian

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 10:46 am, Donna <mermaid7@...> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 10:46 am, Donna <mermaid7@...> wrote:

Donna,

Thanks.  It's certainly much closer.  The F6 (and it's "reverse direction" SHIFT+F6) command is documented in this list and I've never seen it elsewhere.  Of course, the way it's described, "Switch Between Windows", is not in any way true as far as how Microsoft or anyone else using Windows would describe the action.  What it appears to do, in virtually any situation where I've used it, is to move you between control and/or display panes/regions/areas/whatever you might want to call them that reside within a single window.  ALT+TAB, which switches your focus between active programs, is far closer to "switch between windows" than what the F6 command does.

Brian

Mike,

Could you either send this to me via e-mail or quote it here.

Anyone not interacting with the JFW List in e-mail itself, but using the web forum interface, cannot see any attachments that someone else might send.  I've already identified this as an issue, but I have no idea who can resolve it.  The fact that attachments are not shown, let alone accessible, via the web interface means that the historical repository for the JFW List is missing big chunks of information people have shared or will share via attachments.

There's also no way that I've encountered to even include an attachment from the web forum interface.

Brian

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi All,

Below is a Dropbox download link for Jaws Desktop, Laptop, & Windows keystrokes:

Take care.
Mike
Global warming?  Most likely caused from hot air generated by politicians!

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 11:43 AM

Hi Mike,

Take care.
Mike

Hi Brian,

Take care.
Mike

Nermin,

Brian

Gudrun Brunot

Thanks, Mike. I was able to save that.

Gudrun

Gudrun

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 1:54 PM

Hi All,

Below is a Dropbox download link for Jaws Desktop, Laptop, & Windows keystrokes:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2471715/JAWS%20Desktop%20%26%20Laptop%20%26%20Windows%20Keystrokes.zip

Take care.
Mike
Global warming? Most likely caused from hot air generated by politicians!
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 11:43 AM

Hi Mike,

Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool. Go Dodgers!

Hi Brian,

Take a look at the attached file. I put together these keystrokes not too long ago, but I don't recall from what version of Jaws I referenced for them.

Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool. Go Dodgers!

Nermin,

Thanks, I'll give this a look. But what I was hoping for is an actual reference document that one could either print or carry around in electronic format of some sort. It's handy to have this sort of thing when "plotting strategy" for some things that seldom need to happen.

That layout is exactly parallel to the keystrokes documents, but perhaps the "live content" is more extensive. That could be helpful in the moment, but not so much when I'm not in front of a computer running JAWS.

Brian

Walt Smith

The F6 and Shift+F6 keystrokes are used almost entirely in online help files. You select a topic; press Enter; then press F6 to read the article. Some online help files don't support this, but most do.

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 2:50 PM
    Thanks.  It's certainly much closer.  The F6 (and it's "reverse direction" SHIFT+F6) command is documented in this list and I've never seen it elsewhere.  Of course, the way it's described, "Switch Between Windows", is not in any way true as far as how Microsoft or anyone else using Windows would describe the action.  What it appears to do, in virtually any situation where I've used it, is to move you between control and/or display panes/regions/areas/whatever you might want to call them that reside within a single window.  ALT+TAB, which switches your focus between active programs, is far closer to "switch between windows" than what the F6 command does.

Brian