Is there a comprehensive/exhaustive list of JAWS keyboard shortcuts?

The standard document that's put up for each release is far from complete.  Maria Campbell mentioned earlier a sequence, insert plus control plus numpad minus, that is not documented anywhere I can find.

On those occasions where esoteric and seldom-used functions might come in really handy, it would be nice if there where a reference that listed the keystrokes needed to invoke them.  If such a list exists I'd love to know about it.

Brian

Nermin

Hi Brian,

there is a whole help chapter divided into various subchapters by functions and areas of use. Just go to “JAWS Help\JAWS shortcuts”. It’s part of the help menu.
Topics include:
1. JAWS shortcuts
2. Laptop Commands
3. Standard Windows Commands
etc.

Regards,
Nermin

Nermin,

           Thanks, I'll give this a look.  But what I was hoping for is an actual reference document that one could either print or carry around in electronic format of some sort.  It's handy to have this sort of thing when "plotting strategy" for some things that seldom need to happen.

           That layout is exactly parallel to the keystrokes documents, but perhaps the "live content" is more extensive.  That could be helpful in the moment, but not so much when I'm not in front of a computer running JAWS.

Brian

Nermin

Hi Brian,

I forgot to add that some of the commands may be obsolete, since there is reference to quite a number of outdated pieces of software.
What you can always try when in a programme is pressing insert+h, which will give you a list of commands pertaining to a given application, if there are scripts tied to it.
Another way of getting help on commands is to press Insert+1 in an application, which will activate keyboard help mode.
From that point on, the keys you press will not be passed to the application. Instead, JAWS will verbalise a function name if any has been associated with a script. Pressing a key combination twice quickly will cause a longer description of a function to be verbalised.
The same info can be gotten from script manager as well, but that is a little cumbersome and maybe not what you need.

Regards,
Nermin

Nermin

Hi Brian,

so what you were actually hoping for is a quick reference sheet of sorts. As far as I know, no such thing exists. You would need to filter out the commands that interest you during a given training session and build a glossary of sorts yourself.

Regards,
Nermin

Charles Coe

Have you tried using the F1 key in the applications you are working in?

!

I forgot to add that some of the commands may be obsolete, since there is reference to quite a number of outdated pieces of software.

What you can always try when in a programme is pressing insert+h, which will give you a list of commands pertaining to a given application, if there are scripts tied to it.

Another way of getting help on commands is to press Insert+1 in an application, which will activate keyboard help mode.

From that point on, the keys you press will not be passed to the application. Instead, JAWS will verbalise a function name if any has been associated with a script. Pressing a key combination twice quickly will cause a longer description of a function to be verbalised.

The same info can be gotten from script manager as well, but that is a little cumbersome and maybe not what you need.

Regards,

Nermin

Nermin,

           What I'm looking for is actually the very opposite of a quick reference sheet.  The Keystrokes document that FS puts out with every release, the core of which has remained unchanged for ages (which is unsurprising), is sort of an extended quick reference guide.  I use that extensively.  But there have been multiple mentions on this list of commands I have never seen documented anywhere, and a couple of those have come from me.  For instance, the SHIFT+F6 command that's allowing movement between "control regions" for lack of a better way of phrasing it in Chrome is not documented in the JAWS 17 Keystrokes document.  Of course, since this is doing pretty much the same thing in Firefox, too, it looks like it's a Windows-based command.  But the INS+CTRL+NumPad Plus command Maria mentioned is clearly a JAWS command just based on the key sequence, but I can't find that documented anywhere, either.  I'd just like to know what FS would describe as the function of that aforementioned keystroke combo, among others at times.

Brian

Walt Smith

If you open the Start Menu JAWS item and then open Explore JAWS, you can select Explore Manuals and there's a document named Keystrokes that's available in both .doc and .txt format. This is as close as you're going to get.