From: Brian Vogel [mailto:britechguy@...]
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2016 11:36 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Moving around in Google Chrome (using NVDA, but hoping JAWS is same)

This thread is a spin-off of the PDF handling in Chrome thread.  Since Chrome is "kinda new" to many I figure it can't hurt to have a thread dedicated to navigating some of the Chrome Controls that I've been told are problematic, and to have people confirm/refute whether JAWS and NVDA v2015.4 navigate the controls in the same way.

I have found that SHIFT+F6 throws focus between the web page content and whatever other controls may be active at the moment.  When I have recently downloaded files and am still on the web page the first SHIFT+F6 moves me to the bar across the bottom of the screen where the buttons for the individual files I've just downloaded are located.  I can TAB or SHIFT+TAB to move back and forth between them and each is announced with the file name plus "submenu", even though to sighted me this thing appears exactly like a split button would.  I managed to get the context menu to come up on one of these submenu "buttons" but was interrupted and forgot what I'd just hit to do it and have not been able to do it again.  I'll try again in the morning when I'm fresh.

If there are no files I've downloaded the SHIFT+F6 throws me on to the main Chrome toolbar into the address bar but without focus on the actual content.  I can then either TAB or SHIFT+TAB to move left or right to the various control buttons, e.g., Back, Forward, Reload, etc. in the Main Chrome toolbar.  The handiest thing, though was finding that since the Chrome Menu button, which is always at the rightmost position on the toolbar, can be reached by hitting the END button from anywhere you happen to be in that toolbar.  Conversely, you can reach the Back button, which is always the leftmost button using the HOME Key.  The Chrome menu button is also sometimes referred to as the "hamburger stack" button (and a corresponding button exists in Firefox, too).

The SHIFT+F6 circles around if you hit "the last control" to wherever you started.

Now it's off to bed.  It's been a long day!

Brian

I've finally had a few moments to get to the specifics of activating a button/submenu in the control bar across the bottom of the screen that shows up when you download and save a file or files.  One button/submenu gets placed on that control bar for each file you've downloaded, and the control bar stays there until you intentionally dismiss it by going to the far right using the END button and activate the close button.

As previously reported, SHIFT+F6, either once or repeated depending on where your focus currently is, eventually lands you in the control bar.  What you hear announced as you land on each button is the name of the specific file you downloaded and "submenu."  The way I opened the context menu in NVDA for a given button in this bar is by hitting INS+NumPad Slash, which routes the mouse to the object NVDA has focus on, then hit NumPad Star, which right clicks and causes the context menu to pop up.  I then just use the up arrow key to traverse the menu items until I hit the "Always open with System Viewer" or "Always open with Adobe Reader," depending on your platform.

If I'm reading the JAWS documentation correctly the INS+NumPad Plus, route PC Cursor to JAWS Cursor, should place mouse focus above the button and the command for right click in JAWS is also NumPad *.  If my reading of the "For cursors and Mouse" section of the JAWS Keystrokes list is incorrect please let me know.  No direct reference is made to the mouse proper other than when giving the left and right mouse button clicks.  But I believe that "Route PC Cursor to JAWS Cursor" in that context has to be the same as what NVDA documentation describes as, "Move the mouse pointer to the current navigator object."

After I've selected the "Always open" option for a file of any given file type any subsequent left clicks on links for files of that type cause the control bar to show up again showing the status of the file download, but the moment the download is complete the file itself gets opened in the system viewer for that file type.

Brian

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Brian,

You can quit while you're ahead!  You cannot use the Jaws cursor in Chrome.  There used to be a work around in Firefox, but I have not heard of any work arounds to make the Jaws cursor work in Chrome.
Take care.
Mike
Global warming?  Most likely caused from hot air generated by politicians!

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 07:08 pm, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
You can quit while you're ahead!  You cannot use the Jaws cursor in Chrome.

I long ago learned that there's a very good reason that many of my clients have multiple screen readers on their computers.  One tends to be favored, but all report things of this nature where they shift to an alternate for specific websites, programs, etc.

Brian