My problem with latest update

Don Moore <donmoore@...>

Hi List,

                Actually, I have been having this same problem with the last 4 updates. When I am using JAWS 18 on my Windows 10 machine, it will work fine for a while; however, JAWS suddenly crashes without notice. It always happens when I am using Microsoft software, including Outlook 2013, Word 2013 and Internet Explorer 11.

                The problem first occurred in the early versions of JAWS 18, then it was fixed in a few builds, then it started occurring again around January or February. The latest update worked fine for about 2 hours, so I thought they had it fixed again, but then it crashed.

                When JAWS 18 crashes, I cannot seem to generate an error report and other screen readers won’t work properly either, so I have to turn off my PC and turn it on again with the on/off button.

                JAWS 17 works fine all the time, so I am unloading JAWS 18 and launching JAWS 17 until I can get this fix.

                Any help will be appreciated.

                Thanks in advance,

                Don

Jason White

Did you try running a JAWS repair (on version 18)? This procedure fixed JAWS crashes I was encountering earlier this year. I’m still experiencing crashes, but they seem to be related to very specific situations.

[...]

Paul Hunt <prhunt1@...>

Hello everybody. I'm experiencing the same issue with JAWS 18 and Windows 10. Repairing JAWS 18 didn't resolve the issue. Don, have you raised this issue with VFO Technical support? What version of Windows 10 are you running?
Paul

On Jul 16, 2017, at 7:29 PM, Jason White via Groups.Io <jason@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jason,

                I have tried doing a JAWS repair on earlier builds, so I will give it a try on this latest update.

                Thanks,

                Don

[...]

Mich Verrier

hi all i to have found this with jaws and some times i have to re start it and other times it will start on it’s oan. i am running the latest version of windows 10 as others have said jaws 17 works well and jaws 18 does work ok on jaws how ever they have not managed to fix the ducking ishu eather. from Mich.

[...]

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Jaws 18 on windows 10 Fast ring Crashs on me a lot. I may try installing 17 too see what happens.

On 7/17/2017 7:34 PM, Mich Verrier wrote:
[...]

Hello everybody. After working on this issue with the Microsoft Accessibility Answer Desk, I know what actually happens. When JAWS hangs up, I lose speech and Braille, JAWS is actually still running. To stop it, you can kill the JAWS service. To do this, run Narrator, then bring up the task manager using the Alt+x keystroke to bring up the menu then press the letter t. Use first letter navigation to find the application file for JAWS. Tab to the End button and activate it. This will allow you to restart JAWS. You're not done. Please call VFO Technical support and report the issue. Tell the tech support person to associate your issue with Ticket 304937. As a work around, you can shut down JAWS, start your application with Narrator, exit Narrator and restart JAWS.
Paul

On Jul 17, 2017, at 10:11 PM, Randy Barnett <randy@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Paul,

                Yes, I have raised this issue with VFO Technical support. They want me to get an error report for them; however, I cannot get an error report because my computer freezes when JAWS 18 crashes and I can do nothing except do a cold boot. This is very frustrating, as I have been using JAWS for Windows since JAWS 3.5.

                I am using the most up-to-date version of Windows 10.

[...]

Dave...

Insert+Windows+F4

Dave
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 20, 2017, at 4:44 PM, Don Moore <donmoore@...> wrote:

[...]

Shannon

Dave,

What is that key combo for. It appears to do nothing and with the keyboard helper  on it doesn’t report that it would do anything?

Shannon

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Shannon. This key combination shuts down, restarts JAWS, and makes it possible to send an error report to Freedom Scientific.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

[...]

I wish my keyboard had the right windows key and application key...

On 7/21/2017 8:57 PM, Bill White wrote:

[...]

I have big hands and that is a ackward combo! :) Nice to know though. :)

[...]

Hi Dave,

                I have tried that several times, but it won’t work after my PC freezes.

                Don

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I usually reverse hands, press the insert/Jaws key with my left hand and use the right hand to press Windows + F4, after you do it a few times it becomes quite natural and easy.

One thing is that it can take quite long for Jaws to restart, I have seen it taking well over 30 seconds, usually I wait almost a minute and only if nothing happens I try other stuff. Interesting enough if I minimize all applications and then type “J” to go to the Jaws shortcut on my desktop Jaws sometimes starts up which means it apparently sometimes crashes and completely unloads in which case the Insert+Windows+F4 won’t work.

[...]

On a standard 101-key keyboard, its right pinky on Insert, Right thumb on Window key, Left pointer on F4.

...and I don't have overly large hands, so the spread is easy once the keys are located.

If learning these combinations is difficult, try applying tactile dots to the Windows and F4 keys.

Dave

Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 09:32

[...]

A lot of modern keyboards dont have the left windows or application keys...

Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 09:32

[...]

To get a USB keyboard which has both Windows keys, as well as both Application keys, call AbleNet

651-294-2200

Ask for a KeysUSee keyboard. They are available in several colors, and they also have buttons at the top which will mute or unmute the soundcard. This can be important if your soundcard becomes inadvertently muted. This often happens if one allows a sighted person to operate the computer. Often, instead of turning off the screen reader, the sound is turned off, making it difficult to get the sound unmuted.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 09:32

[...]

Randy,

Um, yes. I'm giving instructions using the right Windows key, not the left. Therefore using my right hand pinky and thumb will handle the Insert and Right Windows key, and the left hand finds the F4 key. Am I missing something here? Seems pretty basic to me.

Dave

Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 09:32

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I press with my right little finger om my right hand on the Insert and my right thumb on the Windows key then left, of course on the F4.

Best from,

Carolyn

Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com <mailto:Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com>