problem after update

Carol Smith

Hello. I am running a Windows 7 desktop PC with Microsoft Home edition. I did the update a little while ago. All seemed to go smoothly. I restarted my computer and absolutely no speech happened. I used Narrator to find out that Jaws was listed in the task manager. I cleared it out and then tried starting Jaws manually. Again, nothing happened, not even showing up in Task Manager.

OK, I just restarted the computer again and again, there is no speech with Jaws. The two items are once again in the Task Manager. One is JFW.exe. The other is jhookldr.exe.

The last thing I tried was going to the Jaws 18 folder and the final thing I did was to send a new shortcut for the JFW.exe file in the Jaws 18 folder to my desktop. Yes, this also fails. Now, what should I do? Thank you for any assistance.

Carol

.

Jonas Voll

Chek to see what sound card Jaws is using!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

[...]

If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 'spam@nospam.envisionus.com'

Carol Smith

Fortunately, the problem resolved itself. I would have had no way to do that. There was no speech. I finally gave up and went to Window-Eyes. After that, Jaws worked the next time I tried to use it. I am currently using it with no problems.

Carol

On 7/13/2017 2:22 PM, Jonas Voll wrote:
[...]

You said that you was using Windows Narrator!!!!!
But, OK good it's working now!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

JAWS should be running from the Systems Tray. If there is a way to get it on:

1. Press Insert+J.
2. Right Arrow on Options.
3. Enter on Basics.
4. Tab to JAWS on Systems Tray.
5. Spacebar to check it.
6. Tab to OK.
7. Press Escape.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Not necessarily; I tried running mine there, and didn’t like it.

[...]

Yes, after I did not have speech from Jaws, I opened Narrator and went to the Task Manager to verify whether Jaws was or was not running. Narrator is not very good in Windows 7, but it does work well enough to get around the basic Windows screens, when needed.

Carol

On 7/13/2017 3:21 PM, Jonas Voll wrote:
[...]

I have it set to automatically load after Windows is loaded. The problem started today, after I updated. It is now working. Thank you for responding.

Carol

On 7/13/2017 4:22 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
[...]

Really, Ted? I am surprised. Good that we have choices. So much of the time there is not a right or wrong way just optional ways.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

Carol, having it come up with Alt-Tab just seems quicker. I guess when you run a bunch of apps (as ai do at the office) it probably isn't, but it is with the relative handful I use at home--purely a matter of perception and what you're accustomed to.

Ted

[...]

I do not like the task switcher to be cluttered up with programs I do not need to see. Mine does not hold my screen reader or the desktop during cycling. It is simple enough to press insert-j when I need to access the program. Of course, as it was yesterday, there was absolutely nothing. No matter what I did would not have changed this.
The program simply did not run after installing the new update. It seems to be working fine now.

Carol

On 7/14/2017 7:53 AM, Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) wrote:
[...]

Definitely what we are accustomed to can make all the difference.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

Oops, my last reply was meant for Carolyn Arnold; still awaiting that first cup of java.

Ted