Strange problem with JAWS in windows 10 sign-up screen #cal-notice

denis.sariyannis@...

Hi all,
I'm facing a very strange problem with JAWS 18.0.2945 and Windows 10 (Creators update).

When I start my laptop the Windows sign-up screen appears and JAWS gets started. The first problem is that I can't navigate through the elements on the screen by pressing the Tab key. JAWS just says "Tab" with a huge delay and nothing more. Using the touch screen I can go through the things on the screen but JAWS is very slow. When I press another key on the keyboard the focus jumps into the password field which is good. I can even navigate with Tab now but every announcement from JAWS comes with a huge delay. It takes a second or two after pressing a key. So I sign up and the desktop appears. Usually JAWS works fine now but sometimes the extreme slugishness follows JAWS through all things I do.

With NVDA or Narrator these problems do not exist and it works well. So there isn't a process that slows down the whole system. The delay after pressing a key is also very static so its not a performance issue.

Even more strange: At the sign-up screen where JAWS reacts so slowly I can start Narrator. As soon as Narrator is running JAWS works well without any issue. But of course NARRATOR and JAWS are speaking simultaneously and so that isn't a solution. ;) When I turn Narrator off JAWS again acts badly like I described above.

I ran the JAWS setup again "/type repair" but it didn't help.
Do you have any idea? Is there something I could try? I want to avoid reinstalling Windows.
Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards
Denis

John Martyn

All you need to do is wait till it hits the window sign in screen then hit enter once and it will prompt you enter the password field to entering your password. This is John Martyn and a RTYN

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 3:57 PM <denis.sariyannis@...> wrote:

[...]

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

You should submit feedback for this. Then call the disability hotline. As it is going to be very hard to diagnose and probably is going to require a reinstall witch may or may not fix the problem...

On 7/5/2017 11:00 PM, denis.sariyannis@... wrote:

[...]

I can easily reinstall the computer but I want to avoid it cause it's
time consuming. If I can't fix the problem I might do it anyway.

Thanks
Denis

On 7/5/2017 11:00 PM, denis.sariyannis@gmail.com wrote:

[...]

Have you called VFO or the disability hot line? Since you already did the /type repair. This is one of the few times I would suggest it.
Beleave me I am not a big fan of tech support. But there are times to at least try them.