Scroll lock on question

Marilyn Bland <tinkerbelltx@...>

Hello everyone,

I was pressing some of the keys in response to the message reply below. Suddenly I heard "scroll lock on" but have no idea what I pressed to elicit that prompt. I don't know what that key function is, and if I have now activitated it, how can I de-activate it?

Thanks for any help on this question.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland - Dallas, Texas

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shannon
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 1:20 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: How do I lock the Insert key?

Carolyn,
That is brilliant!
I don't know the persons key board but mine is different again.
My second insert key is not in the six pack. I don't have six keys in that grouping. My delete key is the size of two keys. My second insert is directly right of the F12 key in the function keys row.
Just if that helps at all.
My second insert key works just like yours. And my two keys are right next to each other for that JAWS feature Time and Date.
Shannon

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 11:59 AM

This is Carolyn here, and I took my left hand first, then my right. With each, I used my thumb to press the Insert Key on the six pack and my index finger to press F12 twice, and it gave me Wednesday, July 5 and the time. The Insert on my six pack and the Arrow keys with my keyboard work in JAWS for me - JAWS 18; Windows-10; Outlook 2013.

Best from,

Carolyn
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of John O'Regan
Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 9:18 AM

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, your suggestion does not solve my problem. Imagine you only have one hand and you can only press one key at a time. How can you lock the JAWS key so you can press F12 twice quickly to hear the date?

BFN!

John

Hello again,

Seems I couldn't spell properly in my previous message - trying again:

I was pressing some of the keys in response to the message reply below. Suddenly I heard "scroll lock on" but have no idea what I pressed to elicit that prompt. I don't know what that key function is, and if I have now activated it, how can I de-activate it?

Marilyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marilyn Bland
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: Scroll lock on question

Hello everyone,

I was pressing some of the keys in response to the message reply below. Suddenly I heard "scroll lock on" but have no idea what I pressed to elicit that prompt. I don't know what that key function is, and if I have now activitated it, how can I de-activate it?

Marilyn

Carolyn,
That is brilliant!
My second insert key is not in the six pack. I don't have six keys in that grouping. My delete key is the size of two keys. My second insert is directly right of the F12 key in the function keys row.
My second insert key works just like yours. And my two keys are right next to each other for that JAWS feature Time and Date.
Shannon

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold

This is Carolyn here, and I took my left hand first, then my right. With each, I used my thumb to press the Insert Key on the six pack and my index finger to press F12 twice, and it gave me Wednesday, July 5 and the time. The Insert on my six pack and the Arrow keys with my keyboard work in JAWS for me - JAWS 18; Windows-10; Outlook 2013.

Best from,

Carolyn

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, your suggestion does not solve my problem. Imagine you only have one hand and you can only press one key at a time. How can you lock the JAWS key so you can press F12 twice quickly to hear the date?

BFN!

John

Hi Marilyn,

To the right of F12 are the Print Screen, Scroll Lock, and Pause keys.
Press Scroll Lock twice quickly to turn Scroll Lock on, and press
twice quickly again to turn it off. And no, I don't know what it does
either. ;)

HTH!

John

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

On my lokitech full sized keybaord they are insert, print screen and pause. I cant seem to find scroll lock...

On 7/5/2017 12:26 PM, John O'Regan wrote:
Hi Marilyn,

either. ;)

HTH!

John

Apparently Excel is the only app still using it to stop the arrow keys from moving the active cell while you arrow around the document.
My keyboard doesnt even have it.

On 7/5/2017 12:33 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
On my lokitech full sized keybaord they are insert, print screen and pause. I cant seem to find scroll lock...

Hi Marilyn,

either. ;)

HTH!

John

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Marilyn, did you shut down your computer and bring it back up and still have the same problem? Did you press Scroll again? Goodness, but for a shear blessing it would have happened to me, because I fooled with those keys up there, and I also got to wondering if a Hot Key could be set for it like Alt-Z or something like that. One way or another, we're going to get this kid the day and time.

Best from,

Carolyn

Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 2:56 PM

Hello everyone,

Marilyn

Carolyn,
That is brilliant!
Shannon

Best from,

Carolyn

Hi Carol,

BFN!

John

I'm going to take John's word for it - not about to try. I did press it once and got no response, when I was fooling around trying to find what might work.

Best from,

Carolyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 3:33 PM

Hi Marilyn,

either. ;)

HTH!

John

Windows key + b arrow to the time and date...

On 7/5/2017 12:42 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
Marilyn, did you shut down your computer and bring it back up and still have the same problem? Did you press Scroll again? Goodness, but for a shear blessing it would have happened to me, because I fooled with those keys up there, and I also got to wondering if a Hot Key could be set for it like Alt-Z or something like that. One way or another, we're going to get this kid the day and time.

Best from,

Carolyn

Hello everyone,

Marilyn

Carolyn,
That is brilliant!
Shannon

Best from,

Carolyn

Hi Carol,

BFN!

John

No, Windows Key B is the Windows command to read the Systems Tray. I forgot that, but tried it, so that is how I am sure of that.

Best from,

Carolyn

Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 3:45 PM

Best from,

Carolyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Marilyn Bland

Hello everyone,

Marilyn

Shannon

Carolyn,
That is brilliant!
Shannon

Carolyn Arnold

Best from,

Carolyn
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of John
O'Regan

Hi Carol,

BFN!

John

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Carolyn. What Randy is trying to say is this:

If your friend puts the clock in the System Tray, then uses Windows + B to go to the System Tray, he can arrow to the clock icon and get both the system date and time all at the same time.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 1:06 PM

No, Windows Key B is the Windows command to read the Systems Tray. I forgot that, but tried it, so that is how I am sure of that.

Best from,

Carolyn

Best from,

Carolyn

Marilyn Bland

Hello everyone,

Marilyn

Shannon

Carolyn,
That is brilliant!
Shannon

Carolyn Arnold

Best from,

Carolyn
O'Regan

Hi Carol,

BFN!

John

John,

Thanks. I found the three keys you indicate. I hear print screen, then the next key says nothing at all whether pressed once or twice, and then the pause key.

I wish I knew what the function of scroll lock on is. Now I'm afraid to press other keys...

Marilyn

Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 2:27 PM

Hi Marilyn,

Press Scroll Lock twice quickly to turn Scroll Lock on, and press twice quickly again to turn it off. And no, I don't know what it does either. ;)

HTH!

John

Mine said nothing at all, when I pressed it once. Did you try pressing it twice? But if it is saying nothing, you should be OK now.

Best from,

Carolyn

Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 4:24 PM

John,

Thanks. I found the three keys you indicate. I hear print screen, then the next key says nothing at all whether pressed once or twice, and then the pause key.

I wish I knew what the function of scroll lock on is. Now I'm afraid to press other keys...

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

Press Scroll Lock twice quickly to turn Scroll Lock on, and press twice quickly again to turn it off. And no, I don't know what it does either. ;)

HTH!

John

Oh sure, Bill, that's right. That should solve that problem.

Best from,

Carolyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 4:14 PM

Hi, Carolyn. What Randy is trying to say is this:

If your friend puts the clock in the System Tray, then uses Windows + B to go to the System Tray, he can arrow to the clock icon and get both the system date and time all at the same time.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 1:06 PM

Best from,

Carolyn

Best from,

Carolyn

Marilyn Bland

Hello everyone,

Marilyn

Shannon

Carolyn,
That is brilliant!
Shannon

Carolyn Arnold

Best from,

Carolyn
O'Regan

Hi Carol,

BFN!

John

Carolyn,

Whether I press once or twice, I hear nothing. I don't know which key I pressed originally to have "scroll lock on" announced - that's the problem, as I see it. If it is now on and shouldn't be, then how will I be able to turn it off again?

Marilyn

Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 6:18 PM

Mine said nothing at all, when I pressed it once. Did you try pressing it twice? But if it is saying nothing, you should be OK now.

Best from,

Carolyn

John,

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

HTH!

John

Yes and in the system tray at the bottom of the list is the time followed by the date... that solves the issue...

On 7/5/2017 1:05 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:

Best from,

Carolyn

Best from,

Carolyn

Marilyn Bland

Hello everyone,

Marilyn

Shannon

Carolyn,
That is brilliant!
Shannon

Carolyn Arnold

Best from,

Carolyn
O'Regan

Hi Carol,

BFN!

John

the silent key is print screen. If you have one drive every time you accendntly hit it it will save a screen shot to your one drive folder. Very handy in some situations.

On 7/5/2017 1:23 PM, Marilyn Bland wrote:
John,

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

HTH!

John

It is a legacy key that does nothing except in excel. If excel behaves normally it is off.

On 7/5/2017 4:47 PM, Marilyn Bland wrote:
Carolyn,

Whether I press once or twice, I hear nothing. I don't know which key I pressed originally to have "scroll lock on" announced - that's the problem, as I see it. If it is now on and shouldn't be, then how will I be able to turn it off again?

Marilyn

Best from,

Carolyn

John,

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

HTH!

John

Mario

when I tried pressing Windows+B I arrowed to the clock but only heard
the time. if I arrow to the right, I just move to the next item. where
is the date everyone is talking about? am I missing something? I know
JAWS and NVDA has the insert+f12 keystroke, but still ...

------- Original Message --------
Sent: Wednesday, Jul 5, 2017 9:29 PM EST
Subject: Scroll lock on question

Yes and in the system tray at the bottom of the list is the time
followed by the date... that solves the issue...
On 7/5/2017 1:05 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
No, Windows Key B is the Windows command to read the Systems Tray. I
forgot that, but tried it, so that is how I am sure of that.

Best from,

Carolyn

Randy Barnett

Marilyn, did you shut down your computer and bring it back up and
still have the same problem? Did you press Scroll again? Goodness,
but for a shear blessing it would have happened to me, because I
fooled with those keys up there, and I also got to wondering if a Hot
Key could be set for it like Alt-Z or something like that. One way or
another, we're going to get this kid the day and time.

Best from,

Carolyn

Marilyn Bland

Hello everyone,

I was pressing some of the keys in response to the message reply
below. Suddenly I heard "scroll lock on" but have no idea what I
pressed to elicit that prompt. I don't know what that key function
is, and if I have now activitated it, how can I de-activate it?

Marilyn

Shannon

Carolyn,
That is brilliant!
My second insert key is not in the six pack. I don't have six keys in
that grouping. My delete key is the size of two keys. My second
insert is directly right of the F12 key in the function keys row.
My second insert key works just like yours. And my two keys are right
next to each other for that JAWS feature Time and Date.
Shannon

Carolyn Arnold

This is Carolyn here, and I took my left hand first, then my right.
With each, I used my thumb to press the Insert Key on the six pack
and my index finger to press F12 twice, and it gave me Wednesday,
July 5 and the time. The Insert on my six pack and the Arrow keys
with my keyboard work in JAWS for me - JAWS 18; Windows-10; Outlook

Best from,

Carolyn
O'Regan

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, your suggestion does not solve
my problem. Imagine you only have one hand and you can only press
one key at a time. How can you lock the JAWS key so you can press
F12 twice quickly to hear the date?

BFN!

John

Mario

Marilyn, just keep pressing the scroll lock key until JAWS says it is
off. don't press it too fast. hth

-------- Original Message ----
Carolyn,

Whether I press once or twice, I hear nothing. I don't know which key
I pressed originally to have "scroll lock on" announced - that's the
problem, as I see it. If it is now on and shouldn't be, then how will
I be able to turn it off again?

Marilyn

Carolyn Arnold

Mine said nothing at all, when I pressed it once. Did you try pressing
it twice? But if it is saying nothing, you should be OK now.

Best from,

Carolyn

Marilyn Bland

John,

Thanks. I found the three keys you indicate. I hear print screen, then
the next key says nothing at all whether pressed once or twice, and
then the pause key.

I wish I knew what the function of scroll lock on is. Now I'm afraid
to press other keys...

Marilyn

O'Regan

Hi Marilyn,

either. ;)

HTH!

John

Mario

Randy, what was the scroll lock used for in Excel?

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Wednesday, Jul 5, 2017 9:41 PM EST
Subject: Scroll lock on question

It is a legacy key that does nothing except in excel. If excel behaves
normally it is off.
Carolyn,

Whether I press once or twice, I hear nothing. I don't know which key
I pressed originally to have "scroll lock on" announced - that's the
problem, as I see it. If it is now on and shouldn't be, then how will
I be able to turn it off again?

Marilyn

Carolyn Arnold

Mine said nothing at all, when I pressed it once. Did you try pressing
it twice? But if it is saying nothing, you should be OK now.

Best from,

Carolyn

Marilyn Bland

John,

Thanks. I found the three keys you indicate. I hear print screen, then
the next key says nothing at all whether pressed once or twice, and
then the pause key.

I wish I knew what the function of scroll lock on is. Now I'm afraid
to press other keys...

Marilyn

O'Regan

Hi Marilyn,

either. ;)

HTH!

John