From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Les Kriegler
Sent: Sunday, July 2, 2017 8:11 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Opinions Sought on Surface Pro

I am planning to purchase the new surface pro that was
recently announced. My main concerns are to get enough RAM
followed by the processor speed. As for the SSD Drive, I'm
looking at a 512 GB unit or the 1 TB unit. I'm leaning away
from the larger hard drive due to the $500 difference in
price. It seems rather high to gain an additional 500 GB.
Am I missing something here which should be considered in my
decision? Thanks.

Les

Don H

I remember my first desktop computer purchased back in 1987. I paid $500 for a 20 Meg hard drive so I would not have to use 5 and a quarter floppy disks to install programs.

On 7/2/2017 7:38 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
That sounds like a big difference. In August of 2015, I
bought a Lenovo Windows 8 with a 1 TB, and the computer was
$500. Of course, it took a whole lot of updating, but it's
been a good one. So $500 for 500 gb, a dollar a gb, huh?
That sounds high to me. I got mine from Office Max if you
want to check them out.
Best from,
Carolyn
I am planning to purchase the new surface pro that was
recently announced. My main concerns are to get enough RAM
followed by the processor speed. As for the SSD Drive, I'm
looking at a 512 GB unit or the 1 TB unit. I'm leaning away
from the larger hard drive due to the $500 difference in
price. It seems rather high to gain an additional 500 GB.
Am I missing something here which should be considered in my
decision? Thanks.
Les

Andre

What's the link for the new surface pro that you are talking about so we can
check out the specs?

I am planning to purchase the new surface pro that was
recently announced. My main concerns are to get enough RAM
followed by the processor speed. As for the SSD Drive, I'm
looking at a 512 GB unit or the 1 TB unit. I'm leaning away
from the larger hard drive due to the $500 difference in
price. It seems rather high to gain an additional 500 GB.
Am I missing something here which should be considered in my
decision? Thanks.

Les

Les Kriegler <kriegler@...>

Microsoft.com/surface.

What's the link for the new surface pro that you are talking about so we can
check out the specs?

I am planning to purchase the new surface pro that was recently announced.
My main concerns are to get enough RAM followed by the processor speed. As
for the SSD Drive, I'm looking at a 512 GB unit or the 1 TB unit. I'm
leaning away from the larger hard drive due to the $500 difference in price.
It seems rather high to gain an additional 500 GB.
Am I missing something here which should be considered in my decision?
Thanks.

Les

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hi Les,

I find the price tag of most of the Microsoft Surface products (tablets or laptops) quite steep.
Is this Surface Pro you refer to a tablet or laptop? If it's a laptop you really might want to consider higher-end offerings from Asus or other manufacturers, not sure if you really gain anything by going with Microsoft other than spending more money.
My thought is that you probably want 16 Gb of RAM, 8 is not enough and 32 Gb for most people is more than you need.
As for SSD space, 1 Tb is of course better than 512 Gb, but unless you are saving massive amounts of music or photos and especially videos, 512 Gb is most likely going to do you. I bought an Asus Zenbook with a 512 Gb SSD and find it is plenty big enough for my approx. 26 or 28 Gb iTunes music library, most of the several thousand photos I have collected over the years and in my case I even have OneDrive set up to also sync to my Office 365 Business account and keep all my business documents on the laptop.
There are so many options now with online storage or external drives either USB or network attached that if you need several Tb of storage that would be the way to go.

Regards,
Sieghard