Having challenge with Character count in microsoft office

Adekoya Rasak

Dear Tech enthusiast,
I am currently having challenge to count characters in Microsoft
office 2016. before in office 2007, I use control+shift+G but in word
2016, if I press it, the jaws goes silent and most time, it hang. I
use window 8.1 but I try it as well on my window 7 laptop, same
happen. Using f6 to move to the status bar or insert page down only
tell me the number of words not characters.
Any help. Is it jaws that's hanging? or any other key stroke to do this.

Best.

--
"I am a custodian of positive influence. what about you"
|Rasak Adekoya
Management and Communication Consultant.

E: radekoya@nigeriasace.org
T: +2348034829045
Sjype: Asiwaju.rasak29
@Iamrasakadekoya

Mario

from a note I made, if possible try using another screen reader like
NVDA and pressing control+shift+g. or try a different version of JAWS.
you can also try alt r w, or alt t w. you then might need to use the
JAWS cursor to find the info you need.

I am currently having challenge to count characters in Microsoft
office 2016. before in office 2007, I use control+shift+G but in word
2016, if I press it, the jaws goes silent and most time, it hang. I
use window 8.1 but I try it as well on my window 7 laptop, same
happen. Using f6 to move to the status bar or insert page down only
tell me the number of words not characters.
Any help. Is it jaws that's hanging? or any other key stroke to do this.

Best.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

You can press Control+Shift+L, which will give you word, but also character count.

Best from,

Carolyn

I am currently having challenge to count characters in Microsoft office 2016. before in office 2007, I use control+shift+G but in word 2016, if I press it, the jaws goes silent and most time, it hang. I use window 8.1 but I try it as well on my window 7 laptop, same happen. Using f6 to move to the status bar or insert page down only tell me the number of words not characters.
Any help. Is it jaws that's hanging? or any other key stroke to do this.

Best.

--
"I am a custodian of positive influence. what about you"
|Rasak Adekoya
Management and Communication Consultant.

E: radekoya@nigeriasace.org
T: +2348034829045
Sjype: Asiwaju.rasak29
@Iamrasakadekoya

Adekoya Rasak

Hi Carolyn and Mario,

I still encounter this same challenge even after pressing alt r and w.
I will try to install later version of Jaws 18 to see if I will still
encounter same experience.

Thank.

On 29/06/2017, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:
You can press Control+Shift+L, which will give you word, but also character
count.

Best from,

Carolyn

I am currently having challenge to count characters in Microsoft office
2016. before in office 2007, I use control+shift+G but in word 2016, if I
press it, the jaws goes silent and most time, it hang. I use window 8.1 but
I try it as well on my window 7 laptop, same happen. Using f6 to move to the
status bar or insert page down only tell me the number of words not
characters.
Any help. Is it jaws that's hanging? or any other key stroke to do this.

Best.

--
"I am a custodian of positive influence. what about you"
|Rasak Adekoya
Management and Communication Consultant.

E: radekoya@nigeriasace.org
T: +2348034829045
Sjype: Asiwaju.rasak29
@Iamrasakadekoya

--
"I am a custodian of positive influence. what about you"
|Rasak Adekoya
Management and Communication Consultant.

E: radekoya@nigeriasace.org
T: +2348034829045
Sjype: Asiwaju.rasak29
@Iamrasakadekoya

Shirley Tracy

Hi Adekoya ,

I tried it just for fun, although I seldom need to know the character count. Well, I'm running JAWS 18 and Windows 7. It didn't work for me either. In fact, with Windows 7, and Word 2016, I got something screwy when I tried the first suggestion of control plus shift plus l.
Maybe you are all talking about Windows 10, which I hope I never have to learn. (LOL)

I only put my 2 cents in to validate your dilemma.
Shirley Tracy
author
OPERATION CODE CHARLIE
now available at major book sellers

---- Adekoya Rasak <rasakadekoya@gmail.com> wrote:

=============
Hi Carolyn and Mario,

I still encounter this same challenge even after pressing alt r and w.
I will try to install later version of Jaws 18 to see if I will still
encounter same experience.

Thank.

On 29/06/2017, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:
You can press Control+Shift+L, which will give you word, but also character
count.

Best from,

Carolyn

I am currently having challenge to count characters in Microsoft office
2016. before in office 2007, I use control+shift+G but in word 2016, if I
press it, the jaws goes silent and most time, it hang. I use window 8.1 but
I try it as well on my window 7 laptop, same happen. Using f6 to move to the
status bar or insert page down only tell me the number of words not
characters.
Any help. Is it jaws that's hanging? or any other key stroke to do this.

Best.

--
"I am a custodian of positive influence. what about you"
|Rasak Adekoya
Management and Communication Consultant.

E: radekoya@nigeriasace.org
T: +2348034829045
Sjype: Asiwaju.rasak29
@Iamrasakadekoya

--
"I am a custodian of positive influence. what about you"
|Rasak Adekoya
Management and Communication Consultant.

E: radekoya@nigeriasace.org
T: +2348034829045
Sjype: Asiwaju.rasak29
@Iamrasakadekoya

Dr. Azim Assaf

Hello:

I tried alt-r w in word2016 and it did work for me. I'm running JAWS 18 with Windows 10.
Best wishes,

Azim Assaf

Dr. Azim Assaf
Language, Linguistics and Education

I am currently having challenge to count characters in Microsoft office
2016. before in office 2007, I use control+shift+G but in word 2016, if I
press it, the jaws goes silent and most time, it hang. I use window 8.1 but
I try it as well on my window 7 laptop, same happen. Using f6 to move to the
status bar or insert page down only tell me the number of words not
characters.
Any help. Is it jaws that's hanging? or any other key stroke to do this.

Best.

--
"I am a custodian of positive influence. what about you"
|Rasak Adekoya
Management and Communication Consultant.

E: radekoya@nigeriasace.org
T: +2348034829045
Sjype: Asiwaju.rasak29
@Iamrasakadekoya

--
"I am a custodian of positive influence. what about you"
|Rasak Adekoya
Management and Communication Consultant.

E: radekoya@nigeriasace.org
T: +2348034829045
Sjype: Asiwaju.rasak29
@Iamrasakadekoya

---
http://www.avg.com

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi,

Try the keystroke, Control, Shift, + G.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 1:14 AM

--
"I am a custodian of positive influence. what about you"
|Rasak Adekoya
Management and Communication Consultant.

E: radekoya@...
T: +2348034829045
Sjype: Asiwaju.rasak29
@Iamrasakadekoya

Richard Turner

Mike,

That keystroke works perfectly for me.

Jaws 18.0295 Office 365.

Thank you.

Richard

--
"I am a custodian of positive influence. what about you"
|Rasak Adekoya
Management and Communication Consultant.

E: radekoya@...
T: +2348034829045
Sjype: Asiwaju.rasak29
@Iamrasakadekoya

One of the things being overlooked with all of the non-program-standard keystrokes is that they are probably screen reader specific and that throws a monkey wrench into everything if you ever have to change screen readers, even temporarily.

You're far better off using the program's, and in this case that's MS-Word, built-in keyboard shortcuts to get what you want.   That will almost never change at this point since the ribbons have been stable for some time now for the most part, and what's changed has been additions, not reassignment of existing shortcuts.

ALT+R, followed by W is always going to get the Word Count dialog for you, at least from Word 2010 forward.

If you don't like someone, the way he holds his spoon will make you furious; if you do like him, he can turn his plate over into your lap and you won't mind.     ~ Irving Becker

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

True, I have Windows 10 and Office 2013. Try Alt+T+W.

Best from,

Carolyn