Will this new Microsoft speech dictation software work well with JAWS?

Tim Ford

Hi All,

In today’s Tech Tidbits email, there is a listing as follows:

According to PC Magazine, this is "The Best Free Software of 2017":

http://bit.ly/2sYnwUy

Does anyone have any feedback on whether this new product is indeed accessible?

Tim Ford

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Tim,

They don't just talk about 1 piece of software / program, they discuss many programs for doing different things, & rate them.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

In today’s Tech Tidbits email, there is a listing as follows:

According to PC Magazine, this is "The Best Free Software of 2017":

http://bit.ly/2sYnwUy

Does anyone have any feedback on whether this new product is indeed accessible?

Tim Ford

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

I am more interested in this: Sumatra PDF

SumatraPDF is well-known as probably the simplest, fastest PDF reader available for Windows. It's small so it loads things fast, and can be run from a USB drive. But it's more than PDFs. It also reads comic book files (in CBZ and CBR formats) and ebooks (ePub and Mobi files), among other things.

On 6/22/2017 2:53 PM, Mike B. wrote:
Hi Tim,

They don't just talk about 1 piece of software / program, they discuss many programs for doing different things, & rate them.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
In today’s Tech Tidbits email, there is a listing as follows:

According to PC Magazine, this is "The Best Free Software of 2017":

http://bit.ly/2sYnwUy

Does anyone have any feedback on whether this new product is indeed accessible?

Tim Ford

Tim Ford

Oops, I neglected to check my paste, and I had captured the wrong item in the newsletter.  It was about Microsoft Dictate.  Now I cannot even find that newsletter.

Tim

They don't just talk about 1 piece of software / program, they discuss many programs for doing different things, & rate them.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

In today’s Tech Tidbits email, there is a listing as follows:

According to PC Magazine, this is "The Best Free Software of 2017":

http://bit.ly/2sYnwUy

Does anyone have any feedback on whether this new product is indeed accessible?

Tim Ford

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Tim,

Here you go:

10 A) This apparently works with JAWS and probably with other screen readers as well: Hands-free typing with Dictate, an add-in for Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint:

10 B) Here is a simplistic video showing dictate in operation:

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Oops, I neglected to check my paste, and I had captured the wrong item in the newsletter.  It was about Microsoft Dictate.  Now I cannot even find that newsletter.

Tim

They don't just talk about 1 piece of software / program, they discuss many programs for doing different things, & rate them.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

In today’s Tech Tidbits email, there is a listing as follows:

According to PC Magazine, this is "The Best Free Software of 2017":

http://bit.ly/2sYnwUy

Does anyone have any feedback on whether this new product is indeed accessible?

Tim Ford

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Is it just me or does this site have issues with both IE and FF? Chrome is the only one that seems to be able to handle the page...

On 6/22/2017 3:15 PM, Tim Ford wrote:

Oops, I neglected to check my paste, and I had captured the wrong item in the newsletter.  It was about Microsoft Dictate.  Now I cannot even find that newsletter.

Tim

They don't just talk about 1 piece of software / program, they discuss many programs for doing different things, & rate them.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

In today’s Tech Tidbits email, there is a listing as follows:

According to PC Magazine, this is "The Best Free Software of 2017":

http://bit.ly/2sYnwUy

Does anyone have any feedback on whether this new product is indeed accessible?

Tim Ford

Jim Fettgather

This Microsoft Word add in adds a  dictation tab to the ribbon of Microsoft Word.

So for example, to start dictation, you would press Alt D, followed by S.

It works just fine, is quite accurate, but there is no feedback from Jaws as you are speaking.

You simply need to stop dictation, and go back and review your text line by line, to see if there any errors you need to correct.

It is nothing fancy, in fact, it is most likely the same speech recognition found in the Windows speech recognition, but now can be used directly from Microsoft Word.

It is not a bad deal at all for being free.

They don't just talk about 1 piece of software / program, they discuss many programs for doing different things, & rate them.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

In today’s Tech Tidbits email, there is a listing as follows:

According to PC Magazine, this is "The Best Free Software of 2017":

http://bit.ly/2sYnwUy

Does anyone have any feedback on whether this new product is indeed accessible?

Tim Ford

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Sounds interesting.  I tried one a while back from the same British outfit that brought us the Thunder screen reader.  It would read just about anything, but navigation was awful.  You just started at the beginning and plowed straight through.  Heaven help you if you had to stop and close the reader.  Forget trying to get back where you were.

Ted

In today’s Tech Tidbits email, there is a listing as follows:

According to PC Magazine, this is "The Best Free Software of 2017":

http://bit.ly/2sYnwUy

Does anyone have any feedback on whether this new product is indeed accessible?

Tim Ford

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

This is interesting.  I downloaded Sumatra, but can’t find it.  It didn’t ask me where I wanted it, so I assume it’s in Downloads.  Anybody remember how to go there—embarrassing!

Sounds interesting.  I tried one a while back from the same British outfit that brought us the Thunder screen reader.  It would read just about anything, but navigation was awful.  You just started at the beginning and plowed straight through.  Heaven help you if you had to stop and close the reader.  Forget trying to get back where you were.

Ted

In today’s Tech Tidbits email, there is a listing as follows:

According to PC Magazine, this is "The Best Free Software of 2017":

http://bit.ly/2sYnwUy

Does anyone have any feedback on whether this new product is indeed accessible?

Tim Ford

Russell Solowoniuk

You can just press the Windows key and then start typing “Downloads” in the search field! :)

This is interesting.  I downloaded Sumatra, but can’t find it.  It didn’t ask me where I wanted it, so I assume it’s in Downloads.  Anybody remember how to go there—embarrassing!

Sounds interesting.  I tried one a while back from the same British outfit that brought us the Thunder screen reader.  It would read just about anything, but navigation was awful.  You just started at the beginning and plowed straight through.  Heaven help you if you had to stop and close the reader.  Forget trying to get back where you were.

Ted

In today’s Tech Tidbits email, there is a listing as follows:

According to PC Magazine, this is "The Best Free Software of 2017":

Does anyone have any feedback on whether this new product is indeed accessible?

Tim Ford

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

That got it, thanks.

[...]

Onwardbob

Hi, which versions of MS Word does it work with?

BOB SOUTAR.ONWARD THRU THE FOG

I am more interested in this: Sumatra PDF
<http://r.zdbb.net/u/26ia?or=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcmag.com%2Farticle2%2F0%2C281
7%2C2487049%2C00.asp>

SumatraPDF is well-known as probably the simplest, fastest PDF reader
available for Windows. It's small so it loads things fast, and can be run
from a USB drive. But it's more than PDFs. It also reads comic book files
(in CBZ and CBR formats) and ebooks (ePub and Mobi files), among other
things.
On 6/22/2017 2:53 PM, Mike B. wrote:

Hi Tim,

They don't just talk about 1 piece of software / program, they
discuss many programs for doing different things, & rate them.

Take care. Mike. Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.
In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

http://bit.ly/2sYnwUy <http://bit.ly/2sYnwUy%20>

Does anyone have any feedback on whether this new product is indeed
accessible?

Tim Ford

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

?Tried the portable version. I could move around great, but it wouldn’t read anything.

Ted

[...]

Hi Jim, where can I download Dictate? I seem to be having trouble finding
the spot. Thanks...

BOB SOUTAR.ONWARD THRU THE FOG

In today's Tech Tidbits email, there is a listing as follows:

According to PC Magazine, this is "The Best Free Software of 2017":

http://bit.ly/2sYnwUy <http://bit.ly/2sYnwUy%20>

Does anyone have any feedback on whether this new product is indeed
accessible?

Tim Ford

Onwardbob

Thanks, can't wait to play around with it.

BOB SOUTAR…ONWARD THRU THE FOG