Topics

moderated advice for a recording software

Tanguy LOHEAC

Hi

i'm recording trainings for blind and low vision people. For this, i used to use a software called Total Recorder for which there's no longer technical support.

I like it because it is really simple to cut, paste and insert chuncks of sounds within a file just like you would with text from a word processor. The point is that each time Windows updates it breaks my Total Recoder settins down along with the speed it records. I then spend lot of times to rescue and don't even really know how i eventually come up with my settings by chance.

That is why i'm looking for another recording software from which i could record my voice and caputre screen reader speaking out. I had a look at Audacity, but that something too complicated for what i'm doing (lot of  functionalities i don't need) and huge learning curve.

My other constraint is to be able to deal with uncompressed format like wav.

Could anyone advice either open source or payable sofwre, please?

Cheers

Tanguy

--
Didactiweb - les formations adaptées aux déficients visuels
Tanguy Lohéac

Glenn / Lenny

I like GoldWave.
The only difference between the paid and unpaid version is that the unpaid version will bring up the manual in your browser on startup, but you can alt + tab to the program window and do your thing.
There are keyboard commands for everything.
Glenn

[...]

Richard Turner

My personal favorite has always been Goldwave.

To purchase it is $50.

You can use a fully functional copy to see how you like it.

It can use a Microphone, but I do not think it could record both a person talking and the speech synthesizer unless you have a mixer to go through or are just using the speaker sound for the synth.

It has lots of features too, but everything can be done form the keyboard.

Any good software is going to have a learning curve, but to get you started:

Dropping a queue point for the start of a clip is the left bracket.  The end tag is the right bracket.

Standard editing commands work to cut, or copy.

There are specific keystrokes for pasting say at the end of a track, which I think is control-e.

To paste into a new file is control-p.

There are settings to use different playback functions like play from the beginning, play only the selected material, etc.

It is worth spending time in the manual, but only read the sections that cover what you want to do.

You can download it from www.goldwave.com

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

[...]

David Griffith

If you simply want to replace Total Recorder then use the excellent free Virtual Recorder.

I have it on DropBox on

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21yg909ea4szdn2/Virtual%20Recorder.zip?dl=1

It works fine in Windows 10 and is in my experience superior to Total Recorder and more reliable anyway.

It can record in a variety of formats.

If you want to edit mp3 files then GoldWave is an option but I normally find the free Mp3DirectCut quicker and easier to use.

B set beginning of selection and n marks the end of a selection. Del deletes , control c copies etc.

If you want to split  a file press b, then n, and finally del key to set a cue point.  Control T will then split your file at one or more cue point. There are loads of other features.

David Griffith

http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/

John Covici

Total recorder website seems to be up and running, how do you know
there is no longer technical support?

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 13:22:17 -0500,
David Griffith wrote:

If you simply want to replace Total Recorder then use the excellent free Virtual Recorder.

I have it on DropBox on

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21yg909ea4szdn2/Virtual%20Recorder.zip?dl=1

It works fine in Windows 10 and is in my experience superior to Total Recorder and more reliable anyway.

It can record in a variety of formats.

If you want to edit mp3 files then GoldWave is an option but I normally find the free Mp3DirectCut quicker and easier to use.

B set beginning of selection and n marks the end of a selection. Del deletes , control c copies etc.

If you want to split a file press b, then n, and finally del key to set a cue point. Control T will then split your file at one or more cue point. There are loads of other features.

David Griffith

http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

David Griffith

Well it was not me that raised this but I sent multiple emails to their support email about a year ago complaining of problems and none of them were responded to. So I am not surprised others have concluded that it is not in reality being supported any more.
I personally stopped bothering when I found virtual Recorder.

David Griffith

David Griffith wrote:

[...]

Brian K. Lingard

Dear David, John, & List:
As I recall, all Totalrecorder Technical Support is provided by e-mail.
Brian K. Lingard

David Griffith wrote:

[...]

Yes but they do not respond so in reality no support exists in practice. At least that was the situation 9-12 months ago.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

David Griffith wrote:

> If you simply want to replace Total Recorder then use the excellent free

Virtual Recorder.

> I have it on DropBox on

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/21yg909ea4szdn2/Virtual%20Recorder.zip?dl=1

> It works fine in Windows 10 and is in my experience superior to Total

Recorder and more reliable anyway.

> It can record in a variety of formats.

> If you want to edit mp3 files then GoldWave is an option but I normally

find the free Mp3DirectCut quicker and easier to use.

> B set beginning of selection and n marks the end of a selection. Del

deletes , control c copies etc.

> If you want to split a file press b, then n, and finally del key to set a

cue point.  Control T will then split your file at one or more cue point.

There are loads of other features.

> David Griffith

How do

you spend it?