From: Don H
Sent: Tuesday, Jun 13, 2017 5:38 PM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Jaws updates

Am I understanding it correctly that Jaws gets a update once a month and
a major update once a year?

bob jutzi <jutzi1@...>

What do most major updates cost without an SMA?

On 6/13/2017 5:49 PM, Chris G wrote:
yes, that is correct.
Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
Where the magic is in learning.
https://www.MysticAccess.com
Ready to begin using your assistive technology with confidence while actually having fun? Visit us to learn about our comprehensive audio tutorials, one-on-one support and ongoing teleclasses. We also offer eclectic and timely assistive technology podcasts, a newsletter containing exclusive news and discounts, regularly updated free downloads, and so much more.
Contact:
Phone: (716) 543-3323 (Ext. 500)
Twitter: MysticAccess
Am I understanding it correctly that Jaws gets a update once a month and
a major update once a year?

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Not sure how that works and if you can even buy single upgrades.
Given that if you have Jaws Home maintaining an SMA costs you all of $5 a month I don't know why you wouldn't simply buy the SMA every two years. It's I think $120 every two years and you get two major versions, so it's $60 per version. Jaws unlike NVDA is not a nonprofit organisation and as a business owner myself I definitely don't begrudge them this relatively minor amount of money. I know some people who don't work and are on some sort of assistance feel this is a heartship, but $5 a month I don't think can be considered a heartship as most of us spend this and more on al sorts of incidental items whether it's a fancy coffee, a beer once a week or cigarettes, in fact somebody who smokes usually wastes a lot more than $5 a month.

Regards,
Sieghard

Am I understanding it correctly that Jaws gets a update once a month
and a major update once a year?

Dave...

More like seven or eight times per year. Not monthly

Dave
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 13, 2017, at 3:24 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:

[...]

David & his pack of dogs

Smoking is an addiction and when you addicted to something nothing will get in the way of that, including Jaws. Smile. Having made that flippant remark, you are right, $5 per month is not much. Just give up one day of Starbucks coffee.

Am I understanding it correctly that Jaws gets a update once a month
and a major update once a year?

bob jutzi <jutzi1@...>

Thanks.  I was migrated to Jaws from Window-eyes so I may end up selling my Jaws and sticking with NVDA anyway as that's what I'veen using for around 2 years.  Both my wife and I are unemployed so if I don't need to throw money at screen access, so much the better for me.

--
Sent from my iPhone using G-mail.

David & his pack of dogs

There are some things Window Eyes will read but Jaws won’t. I am thinking of a YouTube converter.  Window Eyes would read the different formats you could convert the movie or music too, JAWS doesn’t read those formats out.  Neither does NVDA. So, JAWS is my main screen reader but, wen it doesn’t read out something, I close it and open up Window Eyes.  I also have NVDA on my computer as well as a third choice.  A JAWS user set up, the Ctr,alt as a shortcut. I want JAWS, I just hit ctr,altJ.

What do most major updates cost without an SMA?

> On 6/13/2017 5:49 PM, Chris G wrote:
> yes, that is correct.
>

> Chris Grabowski
> Mystic Access
> Where the magic is in learning.
> https://www.MysticAccess.com
> Ready to begin using your assistive technology with confidence while
> actually having fun? Visit us to learn about our comprehensive audio
> tutorials, one-on-one support and ongoing teleclasses. We also offer
> eclectic and timely assistive technology podcasts, a newsletter
> containing exclusive news and discounts, regularly updated free
> downloads, and so much more.
>    Contact:
> Phone: (716) 543-3323  (Ext. 500)
> Twitter: MysticAccess

I'm experiencing a similar issue.  I have a Samsung 850 Evo SSD.  Neither Jaws or Window-eys can read the strange UI of Samsung's proprietary software, Samsung Magician in order to enable the fast-boot feature called Rapid; however, this is workable with NVDA.  It does take a lot of mousing around with a physical mouse, as well as adapting to NVDA's speaking of the different functions; example, rather than Rapid, it will speak DRapid and you need to locate and click a button labeled DRapid.  I spent almost half an hour trying this with Jaws but simply not possible.  But then, no screen reader is 100% perfect in all situations.  It's all about the needs of the user.

On 6/13/2017 8:03 PM, David & his pack of dogs wrote:

There are some things Window Eyes will read but Jaws won’t. I am thinking of a YouTube converter.  Window Eyes would read the different formats you could convert the movie or music too, JAWS doesn’t read those formats out.  Neither does NVDA. So, JAWS is my main screen reader but, wen it doesn’t read out something, I close it and open up Window Eyes.  I also have NVDA on my computer as well as a third choice.  A JAWS user set up, the Ctr,alt as a shortcut. I want JAWS, I just hit ctr,altJ.

What do most major updates cost without an SMA?

> On 6/13/2017 5:49 PM, Chris G wrote:
> yes, that is correct.
>

> Chris Grabowski
> Mystic Access
> Where the magic is in learning.
> https://www.MysticAccess.com
> Ready to begin using your assistive technology with confidence while
> actually having fun? Visit us to learn about our comprehensive audio
> tutorials, one-on-one support and ongoing teleclasses. We also offer
> eclectic and timely assistive technology podcasts, a newsletter
> containing exclusive news and discounts, regularly updated free
> downloads, and so much more.
>    Contact:
> Phone: (716) 543-3323  (Ext. 500)
> Twitter: MysticAccess

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

The only thing, I don't think you can pay $5 a month, I think you have to pay $120.00 in one whack, which is very hard for some people, who might find it easier to pay $5 a month. However, logistically, $5 a month would cost FVO more than $120 every two years - cost in terms of logistics, processing, cost of processing, recording, etc.

Best from,

Carolyn