Connecting to the internet

Marilyn Bland <tinkerbelltx@...>

Hello everyone,

Starting Monday next week I will be working from a different location than usual for a number of days. This means that my laptop will not automatically be connected to the internet.

Please tell me what JAWS keystrokes should I use to be able to get internet connectivity and what should I hear JAWS saying?

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland - Dallas, Texas.

James Malone

Press insert F11, arrow down to wireless connections are available if there are some. Press enter. If you have windows 7, this should be strait forward. If you have windows 10, this might be a little harder.
Make sure to go to connect to a wireless network, and choose it from the list. If anyone has an easier approach to this, pleas jump in here.

Best:
James

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marilyn Bland
Sent: Friday, June 9, 2017 6:54 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Connecting to the internet

Hello everyone,

Starting Monday next week I will be working from a different location than usual for a number of days. This means that my laptop will not automatically be connected to the internet.

Please tell me what JAWS keystrokes should I use to be able to get internet connectivity and what should I hear JAWS saying?

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

James,

Thanks for the response, but I need to checksome things with you. When I follow your steps, I hear "unknown script..."

By the insert key I'm assuming you mean the long oblong key at the bottom left of the numpad. Could F11 be a different number? I have tried pressing them together and one at a time in quick succession, but do not get the desired outcome. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Marilyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Malone
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2017 2:04 AM

Press insert F11, arrow down to wireless connections are available if there are some. Press enter. If you have windows 7, this should be strait forward. If you have windows 10, this might be a little harder.
Make sure to go to connect to a wireless network, and choose it from the list. If anyone has an easier approach to this, pleas jump in here.

Best:
James

Hello everyone,

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

Ann Byrne

Sounds like a possible problem with the JAWS script. Another way to get to the connect item is to press Windows+b. This also puts you into the system tray, although Windows often calls it something like 'notification chevron'. Arrow down to the internet item and press enter. Then tab 4 or 5 times, past WiFi and airplane mode and such to the list of available networks.

Good luck!

At 09:51 AM 6/10/2017, you wrote:
James,

Thanks for the response, but I need to checksome things with you. When I follow your steps, I hear "unknown script..."

By the insert key I'm assuming you mean the long oblong key at the bottom left of the numpad. Could F11 be a different number? I have tried pressing them together and one at a time in quick succession, but do not get the desired outcome. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Marilyn

Best:
James

Hello everyone,

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

Ann,

Thanks - I have been able to get beyond the first two steps, but then do not
find all the terms you mention. Perhaps they're named something different on
my machine. I'll keep trying.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2017 10:10 AM

Sounds like a possible problem with the JAWS script. Another way to
get to the connect item is to press Windows+b. This also puts you
into the system tray, although Windows often calls it something like
'notification chevron'. Arrow down to the internet item and press enter.
Then tab 4 or 5 times, past WiFi and airplane mode and such to the list of
available networks.

Good luck!
James,

Thanks for the response, but I need to checksome things with you.
When I follow your steps, I hear "unknown script..."

By the insert key I'm assuming you mean the long oblong key at the
bottom left of the numpad. Could F11 be a different number? I have
tried pressing them together and one at a time in quick succession, but
do not get the desired outcome. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Marilyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of James
Malone

Press insert F11, arrow down to wireless connections are available if
there are some. Press enter. If you have windows 7, this should be
strait forward. If you have windows 10, this might be a little harder.
Make sure to go to connect to a wireless network, and choose it from
the list. If anyone has an easier approach to this, pleas jump in here.

Best:
James

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Marilyn Bland

Hello everyone,

Starting Monday next week I will be working from a different location
than usual for a number of days. This means that my laptop will not
automatically be connected to the internet.

Please tell me what JAWS keystrokes should I use to be able to get
internet connectivity and what should I hear JAWS saying?

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

James Malone

Don't think your doing something wrong. Where you are using the F series keys F1 through F12 is correct. The insert key "Jaws key" is the zero key on the numb pad. Press this first, and hold it down while pressing F11.
If you need additional help, contact me off list, and I'll help. Also, what version of Jaws are you running?
James

Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2017 7:52 AM

James,

Thanks.

Marilyn

Best:
James

Hello everyone,

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

James Malone

One more thing I forgot to add, If your on a laptop, and you have no insert key, you must use the caps lock with the keyboard layout set to laptop. I'm using a desktop keyboard layout.
Best:
James

James,

Thanks.

Marilyn

Best:
James

Hello everyone,

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

James Malone

Never thought about windows b Ann. Thanks for the tip.
A lot of my clients have problems finding the insert key.
James

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2017 8:10 AM

Sounds like a possible problem with the JAWS script. Another way to
get to the connect item is to press Windows+b. This also puts you
into the system tray, although Windows often calls it something like
'notification chevron'. Arrow down to the internet item and press enter.
Then tab 4 or 5 times, past WiFi and airplane mode and such to the list of
available networks.

Good luck!
James,

Thanks for the response, but I need to checksome things with you.
When I follow your steps, I hear "unknown script..."

By the insert key I'm assuming you mean the long oblong key at the
bottom left of the numpad. Could F11 be a different number? I have
tried pressing them together and one at a time in quick succession, but
do not get the desired outcome. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Marilyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of James
Malone

Press insert F11, arrow down to wireless connections are available if
there are some. Press enter. If you have windows 7, this should be
strait forward. If you have windows 10, this might be a little harder.
Make sure to go to connect to a wireless network, and choose it from
the list. If anyone has an easier approach to this, pleas jump in here.

Best:
James

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Marilyn Bland

Hello everyone,

Starting Monday next week I will be working from a different location
than usual for a number of days. This means that my laptop will not
automatically be connected to the internet.

Please tell me what JAWS keystrokes should I use to be able to get
internet connectivity and what should I hear JAWS saying?

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

As for JAWS F11, that is a JAWS command, and the Windows-B command gets you the Systems Tray, a Windows command. It will read my clock in the tray, where, with the JAWS command, it will not.

Best from,

Carolyn

Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2017 11:12 AM

Don't think your doing something wrong. Where you are using the F series keys F1 through F12 is correct. The insert key "Jaws key" is the zero key on the numb pad. Press this first, and hold it down while pressing F11.
If you need additional help, contact me off list, and I'll help. Also, what version of Jaws are you running?
James

James,

Thanks.

Marilyn

Best:
James

Hello everyone,

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

Jennifer Jackson <jennsjackson@...>

I was really hoping someone with a better answer would reply. I can tell you what I do.

If you go to your browser and try to connect, you will be offered the Microsoft Troubleshooter, and it often will give you a button to go to a list of available networks to choose from. Pick the one you need and you should be able to follow that to get connected. Occasionally the troubleshooter does not offer to show me that list and I must go another route. If you go to the system tray by using insert and f11, you can arrow down to the option that says you are not connected to the internet. When you select that it should take you to a menu that will let you find a list of network connections.

I know that my answer is not as specific as you are looking for, but honestly I do not get the exact same results every time.

Jennifer J

On Jun 9, 2017, at 8:53 PM, Marilyn Bland <tinkerbelltx@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

I don't use a laptop, but what you want to do ids connect to a wireless network.  Hopefully someone wherever it is that you're going will give you the name of a secure network, & the password.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2017 6:16 PM

I was really hoping someone with a better answer would reply. I can tell you what I do.

If you go to your browser and try to connect, you will be offered the Microsoft Troubleshooter, and it often will give you a button to go to a list of available networks to choose from. Pick the one you need and you should be able to follow that to get connected. Occasionally the troubleshooter does not offer to show me that list and I must go another route. If you go to the system tray by using insert and f11, you can arrow down to the option that says you are not connected to the internet. When you select that it should take you to a menu that will let you find a list of network connections.

I know that my answer is not as specific as you are looking for, but honestly I do not get the exact same results every time.

Jennifer J

> On Jun 9, 2017, at 8:53 PM, Marilyn Bland <tinkerbelltx@...> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> Starting Monday next week I will be working from a different location than usual for a number of days. This means that my laptop will not automatically be connected to the internet.
>
> Please tell me what JAWS keystrokes should I use to be able to get internet connectivity and what should I hear JAWS saying?
>
> Many Thanks.
>
> Marilyn
>
>    Dr. Marilyn Bland - Dallas, Texas.
>
>
>
>

Ashleigh Piccinino

That’s because you have to press insert F12/the insert key is the JAWS key here.

Ashleigh P

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2017 6:58 PM

As for JAWS F11, that is a JAWS command, and the Windows-B command gets you the Systems Tray, a Windows command. It will read my clock in the tray, where, with the JAWS command, it will not.

Best from,

Carolyn

Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2017 11:12 AM

James

James,

Thanks.

Marilyn

Best:
James

Hello everyone,

Many Thanks.

Marilyn