From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marilyn Bland
Sent: Friday, June 9, 2017 6:54 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Connecting to the internet

Hello everyone,

Starting Monday next week I will be working from a different location than usual for a number of days. This means that my laptop will not automatically be connected to the internet.

Please tell me what JAWS keystrokes should I use to be able to get internet connectivity and what should I hear JAWS saying?

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland - Dallas, Texas.

Marilyn Bland <tinkerbelltx@...>

James,

Thanks for the response, but I need to checksome things with you. When I follow your steps, I hear "unknown script..."

By the insert key I'm assuming you mean the long oblong key at the bottom left of the numpad. Could F11 be a different number? I have tried pressing them together and one at a time in quick succession, but do not get the desired outcome. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland - Dallas, Texas.

Press insert F11, arrow down to wireless connections are available if there are some. Press enter. If you have windows 7, this should be strait forward. If you have windows 10, this might be a little harder.
Make sure to go to connect to a wireless network, and choose it from the list. If anyone has an easier approach to this, pleas jump in here.

Best:
James

Starting Monday next week I will be working from a different location than usual for a number of days. This means that my laptop will not automatically be connected to the internet.

Please tell me what JAWS keystrokes should I use to be able to get internet connectivity and what should I hear JAWS saying?

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland - Dallas, Texas.

Ann Byrne

Sounds like a possible problem with the JAWS script. Another way to get to the connect item is to press Windows+b. This also puts you into the system tray, although Windows often calls it something like 'notification chevron'. Arrow down to the internet item and press enter. Then tab 4 or 5 times, past WiFi and airplane mode and such to the list of available networks.

Good luck!

At 09:51 AM 6/10/2017, you wrote:
[...]

Ann,

Thanks - I have been able to get beyond the first two steps, but then do not
find all the terms you mention. Perhaps they're named something different on
my machine. I'll keep trying.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland

Starting Monday next week I will be working from a different location
than usual for a number of days. This means that my laptop will not
automatically be connected to the internet.

Please tell me what JAWS keystrokes should I use to be able to get
internet connectivity and what should I hear JAWS saying?

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland - Dallas, Texas.

James Malone

Don't think your doing something wrong. Where you are using the F series keys F1 through F12 is correct. The insert key "Jaws key" is the zero key on the numb pad. Press this first, and hold it down while pressing F11.
If you need additional help, contact me off list, and I'll help. Also, what version of Jaws are you running?
James

Starting Monday next week I will be working from a different location than usual for a number of days. This means that my laptop will not automatically be connected to the internet.

Please tell me what JAWS keystrokes should I use to be able to get internet connectivity and what should I hear JAWS saying?

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland - Dallas, Texas.

James Malone

One more thing I forgot to add, If your on a laptop, and you have no insert key, you must use the caps lock with the keyboard layout set to laptop. I'm using a desktop keyboard layout.
Best:
James

Starting Monday next week I will be working from a different location than usual for a number of days. This means that my laptop will not automatically be connected to the internet.

Please tell me what JAWS keystrokes should I use to be able to get internet connectivity and what should I hear JAWS saying?

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland - Dallas, Texas.

James Malone

Never thought about windows b Ann. Thanks for the tip.
A lot of my clients have problems finding the insert key.
James

Starting Monday next week I will be working from a different location
than usual for a number of days. This means that my laptop will not
automatically be connected to the internet.

Please tell me what JAWS keystrokes should I use to be able to get
internet connectivity and what should I hear JAWS saying?

Many Thanks.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland - Dallas, Texas.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

As for JAWS F11, that is a JAWS command, and the Windows-B command gets you the Systems Tray, a Windows command. It will read my clock in the tray, where, with the JAWS command, it will not.

Best from,

Carolyn