A program that duplicates what is on the screen?

David & his pack of dogs

Here is my problem.  When phoning Microsoft disability help line, what JAWS is reading out to me is different to what they are seeing on my laptop screen.  I know JAWS is about 15 seconds behind the instruction I am given by the help desk.  But, they can’t see the problem I am having because as a sighted person explained to me, “David, I have no idea where you are on the screen.”  She was sitting next to me, Microsoft was doing a remote access.  The specific problem?  Setting up a VPN.  The server says I am not connected yet the person at Microsoft could not see that problem and had no idea what I was talking about. What screen readers read out is not the same as what the sighted see.  Is JAWS capable of duplicating what the sighted see on the computer screen? It’s maddening when you have a problem and the sighted cannot see it. It could also be as simple as, the person at Microsoft can’t see what is under their own nose.  Who, knows.

Richard Turner

I’ve run into this with every screen reader I’ve used.

I think Jaws has more focus issues than some, but did you try switching cursors or making sure the jaws cursor was routed to the PC cursor?

I know how crazy making this stuff is too.

Richard

[...]

Where would I find the setting route JAWS to PC curser?

[...]

brian albriton

Would enabling mouse echo help? This is just a stab in the dark as I’ve never done it. It seems ideally, there should be something to turn on that visibly shows what jaws is looking at but I don’t know that we’ve ever had such.

Brian

[...]

Dave...

NumPad Insert key plus NumPad plus key.

Dave

Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 13:32

[...]

Mario

as I understand, this is only found in the latest version of JAWS 18.

[...]

Dave, insert+numpad plus gives you route PC to JAWS. the question asks
for the keystroke to activate route JAWS to PC which is insert+numpad dash.

[...]

Gerry Ellis <gerry.ellis@...>

Hi,

This won’t help all the time but might some of the time.

Try re-painting the screen by hitting Insert and Escape.

Take care,

Gerry Ellis

If you don’t know where you’re going,

How will you know when you get there?

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Jim says that same thing, that he can't see what I'm talking
about or what he hears JAWS saying.

Best From,

Carolyn

[...]

Soronel Haetir

If you are using remote assistance over anything but a local network
sound is simply very likely to be delayed. I am not aware of any way
to improve this. (The jaws remote access option gets around this
problem by sending accessibility events rather than audio and having
the audio then rendered on the client system, but this is not
practical for most remote assistance situations as it requires jaws on
both ends of the connection).

Even switching to lower quality voices isn't likely to help as by the
time the sound information is being sent it has already been rendered
to a full-quality audio stream.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

The sighted not knowing what you are doing is gbeing address by VFO in a upcoming release of Jaws. They may be in the latest release already. I have no way of verifying right now.

On 6/7/2017 11:45 PM, Soronel Haetir wrote:
[...]

David and his pack of dogs. Sent from his IPhone when a sighted person was helping me she was using TeamViewer to share the screen here is an interesting twist she said that Josh cursor was following the speech it read out but it did not allow her to make any adjustments so just had to be turned off.