High performance all in one computers and JAWS

Kimberly Johnson

I’m a long-time JAWS user, though certainly not an expert or programmer. I am totally blind. I need to upgrade both JAWS (currently running version 16 on Windows 8 computers) and get a new computer. When I last got new computers I avoided the touch screen by customizing both a desktop and a laptop. I am looking for information on how JAWS is doing with these PCs with touch screens, does it work at all? If not, can they be disabled?  And how much sighted assistance I might need out of the box with a new PC to get things up and running?

I’m not sure what kind of computer I’m going to get; I’m shopping now, but it will be a high performance, capacity computer. I’m a professional who probably uses my computer about 12 hours per day, or more. In addition to the usual entertainment purposes, I use MS Office continuously, Online learning management software, and I analyze data using large datasets in SAS, STATA or SPSS (depending upon what features of accessibility and computing I need at the time). In other words, I tend to melt down or crash your average computer with the specks generally recommended for JAWS users within 3 months, so I tend to go way up scale with a better processer and large amounts of memory. However, I’ve found with high performance computers out of the box I have difficulties with JAWS; for example they are set up for surround sound or have some kind of screen setting and JAWS will not work until I can find a sighted person to customize the sound or other settings for me.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a high performance computer that will work well with JAWS? Any suggestions on where I can get quick, useful, information about how JAWS is performing with all-in-one touch screen enabled computers?

Jason White

kimberlyjohnson95@comcast.net <kimberlyjohnson95@comcast.net> wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a high performance computer that will work well with JAWS?
I use a Lenovo P50S at work (with a touch screen, which is well supported by
JAWS, to answer your earlier question about touch screens).

I just bought a Lenovo P51 with a touch screen, 32GB of memory, 1TB solid
state storage, VPRO Certified, Intel Core i7-7820HQ processor, smart card
reader. This is high performance by any reasonable standard. I won't be able
to comment further until it's delivered and I have time to work on it.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

JAWS is touch-screen-enabled.  However, unlike most of today’s smart phones, it’s my understanding that they’re not required. In other words, just because you have a touch screen doesn’t mean you must use it.  I had to upgrade my phone last year, and everything decent these days is touch-enabled, but I still dislike the things, and hope and pray they never become mandatory in computing.

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of kimberlyjohnson95@...
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 10:22 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: High performance all in one computers and JAWS

I’m a long-time JAWS user, though certainly not an expert or programmer. I am totally blind. I need to upgrade both JAWS (currently running version 16 on Windows 8 computers) and get a new computer. When I last got new computers I avoided the touch screen by customizing both a desktop and a laptop. I am looking for information on how JAWS is doing with these PCs with touch screens, does it work at all? If not, can they be disabled?  And how much sighted assistance I might need out of the box with a new PC to get things up and running?

I’m not sure what kind of computer I’m going to get; I’m shopping now, but it will be a high performance, capacity computer. I’m a professional who probably uses my computer about 12 hours per day, or more. In addition to the usual entertainment purposes, I use MS Office continuously, Online learning management software, and I analyze data using large datasets in SAS, STATA or SPSS (depending upon what features of accessibility and computing I need at the time). In other words, I tend to melt down or crash your average computer with the specks generally recommended for JAWS users within 3 months, so I tend to go way up scale with a better processer and large amounts of memory. However, I’ve found with high performance computers out of the box I have difficulties with JAWS; for example they are set up for surround sound or have some kind of screen setting and JAWS will not work until I can find a sighted person to customize the sound or other settings for me.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a high performance computer that will work well with JAWS? Any suggestions on where I can get quick, useful, information about how JAWS is performing with all-in-one touch screen enabled computers?

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I was intrigued by the assertion that JAWS has problems with high-performance equipment. Can you elaborate on that?

Ted

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason White via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 10:46 AM
Subject: Re: High performance all in one computers and JAWS

Does anyone have a recommendation for a high performance computer that will work well with JAWS?

Kimberly Johnson

Thank you Jason both for the feedback and the information about the computer
you picked. It's helpful.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason
White via Groups.Io

Does anyone have a recommendation for a high performance computer that
will work well with JAWS?

Mario

some time ago, from a podcast and a live streaming tech show, I heard
the use of keyboards will never be phased out because there will be some
(90%)who will prefer the use of a keyboard as opposed to touch screens
in a business and/or home environment, but like you, I hope this touch
craze doesn't get out of hand. not all blind persons can or want to
"touch" this or that.

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Wednesday, Jun 7, 2017 10:52 AM EST

JAWS is touch-screen-enabled. However, unlike most of today’s smart
phones, it’s my understanding that they’re not required. In other words,
just because you have a touch screen doesn’t mean you must use it. I
had to upgrade my phone last year, and everything decent these days is
touch-enabled, but I still dislike the things, and hope and pray they
never become mandatory in computing.

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of
kimberlyjohnson95@comcast.net

I’m a long-time JAWS user, though certainly not an expert or programmer.
I am totally blind. I need to upgrade both JAWS (currently running
version 16 on Windows 8 computers) and get a new computer. When I last
got new computers I avoided the touch screen by customizing both a
desktop and a laptop. I am looking for information on how JAWS is doing
with these PCs with touch screens, does it work at all? If not, can they
be disabled? And how much sighted assistance I might need out of the
box with a new PC to get things up and running?

I’m not sure what kind of computer I’m going to get; I’m shopping now,
but it will be a high performance, capacity computer. I’m a professional
who probably uses my computer about 12 hours per day, or more. In
addition to the usual entertainment purposes, I use MS Office
continuously, Online learning management software, and I analyze data
using large datasets in SAS, STATA or SPSS (depending upon what features
of accessibility and computing I need at the time). In other words, I
tend to melt down or crash your average computer with the specks
generally recommended for JAWS users within 3 months, so I tend to go
way up scale with a better processer and large amounts of memory.
However, I’ve found with high performance computers out of the box I
have difficulties with JAWS; for example they are set up for surround
sound or have some kind of screen setting and JAWS will not work until I
can find a sighted person to customize the sound or other settings for me.

will work well with JAWS? Any suggestions on where I can get quick,
useful, information about how JAWS is performing with all-in-one touch
screen enabled computers?

Jason White

I should also note that the laptop which I purchased has a full keyboard
(including numeric keypad) in addition to the touch screen.

Kimberly Johnson <kimberlyjohnson95@comcast.net> wrote:

Thank you Jason both for the feedback and the information about the computer
you picked. It's helpful.

White via Groups.Io

Are you looking for a laptop or desktop? The term “high performance” is to me vague, most gaming laptops are considered high performance but don’t necessarily have features useful for business. I think you should simply look for a computer with a Kaby Lake processor, make sure it has enough RAM (probably 16 Gb is plenty) and if you want the best and fastest performance get one with a good SSD or have one put in such as one of the newest 512 Gb Intel SSD’s.

I bought an Asus 15.6 Zenbook laptop last fall which here in Canada was about $1,900, it’s got an I7 Sky Lake processor (Kaby Lake was still very new then), it came with 16 GB of the latest RAM and a high performance 512 Gb SSD. It also has a full keyboard with numeric pad which is something I need since I never got used to the laptop layout for Jaws partly because I have hand injuries and it’s harder for me to use. It also does have a 4K touch screen display which I was very curious about, but I virtually never use it since mostly I use a Logitech external wireless keyboard with my laptop sitting in the office and I’m wherever I want to be since I can put the autio anywhere I chose in my house via Sonos.

It also has USB-C ports all in all it’s a beautiful laptop and I’m very happy with especially since I can easily get 7 to 10 hours of battery life depending on what I do. I guess if I were constantly streaming video from the Internet it might be less, but that is not how I use my laptop when it’s on battery. Usually when that happens I’m at a trade show where I may take notes, look up inventory or use Excel and stuff like that.

If you want a desktop I’d seriously look at some of the HP Elite mini PC’s, I bought two of these earlier this year, one with an I5 and one with an I7 processor and while they still came with a regular hard drive and preinstalled with Windows 7 Professional via a Windows 10 downgrade license, they are very nice machines. What I really like is that they have a built-in speaker, it isn’t a super good quality one for music and stuff, but not bad for Jaws so essentially if you want something you can take along these are pretty cool as long as you can plug into power and don’t mind bringing a keyboard since of course they don’t run on a battery, but even with power supply they are probably half the size of a 15 inch laptop. They are designed as business desktops, I put 16 Gb of RAM into the I7 model, but I think it might even take up to 32 Gb. Even upgraded with an SSD these would here in Canada only be about $1,000 to $1,200 depending on how much RAM you put in and how big an SSD you want to put in.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of kimberlyjohnson95@...
Sent: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 7:22 AM

I’m a long-time JAWS user, though certainly not an expert or programmer. I am totally blind. I need to upgrade both JAWS (currently running version 16 on Windows 8 computers) and get a new computer. When I last got new computers I avoided the touch screen by customizing both a desktop and a laptop. I am looking for information on how JAWS is doing with these PCs with touch screens, does it work at all? If not, can they be disabled?  And how much sighted assistance I might need out of the box with a new PC to get things up and running?

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

According to PCWorld, those latest Intel chips can fly.  By now, the new AMD’s should be available too, so now is a good time to be in the market.  A builder I know is  high on AMD, and I’ve used one for 3.5 years, and really like it.

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 1:59 PM

Are you looking for a laptop or desktop? The term “high performance” is to me vague, most gaming laptops are considered high performance but don’t necessarily have features useful for business. I think you should simply look for a computer with a Kaby Lake processor, make sure it has enough RAM (probably 16 Gb is plenty) and if you want the best and fastest performance get one with a good SSD or have one put in such as one of the newest 512 Gb Intel SSD’s.

I bought an Asus 15.6 Zenbook laptop last fall which here in Canada was about $1,900, it’s got an I7 Sky Lake processor (Kaby Lake was still very new then), it came with 16 GB of the latest RAM and a high performance 512 Gb SSD. It also has a full keyboard with numeric pad which is something I need since I never got used to the laptop layout for Jaws partly because I have hand injuries and it’s harder for me to use. It also does have a 4K touch screen display which I was very curious about, but I virtually never use it since mostly I use a Logitech external wireless keyboard with my laptop sitting in the office and I’m wherever I want to be since I can put the autio anywhere I chose in my house via Sonos.

It also has USB-C ports all in all it’s a beautiful laptop and I’m very happy with especially since I can easily get 7 to 10 hours of battery life depending on what I do. I guess if I were constantly streaming video from the Internet it might be less, but that is not how I use my laptop when it’s on battery. Usually when that happens I’m at a trade show where I may take notes, look up inventory or use Excel and stuff like that.

If you want a desktop I’d seriously look at some of the HP Elite mini PC’s, I bought two of these earlier this year, one with an I5 and one with an I7 processor and while they still came with a regular hard drive and preinstalled with Windows 7 Professional via a Windows 10 downgrade license, they are very nice machines. What I really like is that they have a built-in speaker, it isn’t a super good quality one for music and stuff, but not bad for Jaws so essentially if you want something you can take along these are pretty cool as long as you can plug into power and don’t mind bringing a keyboard since of course they don’t run on a battery, but even with power supply they are probably half the size of a 15 inch laptop. They are designed as business desktops, I put 16 Gb of RAM into the I7 model, but I think it might even take up to 32 Gb. Even upgraded with an SSD these would here in Canada only be about $1,000 to $1,200 depending on how much RAM you put in and how big an SSD you want to put in.

Regards,

Sieghard

Sent: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 7:22 AM

Kimberly Johnson

It isn't that I cannot use JAWS, it is that from the factor a couple of
computers I got had settings that were apparently incompatible with JAWS. In
one case it was a visual setting and in another case it was a setting
related to the sound settings--the computer was set up for something called
sound blaster and those settings didn't work with JAWS. Once a sighted
person spent some time on the phone with me and tech support, we were able
to figure it out and get it all to work, but I'm a few hundred miles from
people that will do that kind of computer set-up for me, so I need to be
able to set either the new laptop or desk top myself. Because of the hours I
spend on the computer I'll use a full key board regardless; wireless if
necessary.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lisle, Ted
(CHFS DMS)
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 10:56 AM

I was intrigued by the assertion that JAWS has problems with
high-performance equipment. Can you elaborate on that?

Ted

White via Groups.Io

Kimberly Johnson

Personally  I love my IOS devices, but when working, I want a keyboard. And I type faster if it’s an actual physical keyboard and not something I have to tap twice. My philosophy is always have more than one way to get a task done.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 10:52 AM

JAWS is touch-screen-enabled.  However, unlike most of today’s smart phones, it’s my understanding that they’re not required. In other words, just because you have a touch screen doesn’t mean you must use it.  I had to upgrade my phone last year, and everything decent these days is touch-enabled, but I still dislike the things, and hope and pray they never become mandatory in computing.

Ted

James Homuth

Without knowing specifics it's hard to say for sure, but Sound Blaster is
just another brand of soundcard, and so far as I know JAWS has no problem
working with those. In fact I think I still have one kicking around here.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kimberly
Johnson
Sent: June-07-17 3:53 PM

necessary.

(CHFS DMS)

Ted

White via Groups.Io

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Oh, all-in-one; bet that sheds a different light. Sound Blaster is one of the granddaddies of the sound card business., going back to the 1980's, or early '90's. They were something of a novelty at first, but one must walk before he can crawl. The first card I remember was a Votrax, meant mostly for special applications, as I recall.

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kimberly Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 3:53 PM

necessary.

(CHFS DMS)

Ted

White via Groups.Io

Douglas C. DeCamp

I use a Sound Blaster Titanium FI in my Dell Optiplex 7040 with JAWS 18 &
Win 10 with no significant problems.
There is an occccasional driver priority issue that causes some crackling
sound once in a while, but that is it. I much prefer the sound of a high
fidelity card to computer internal sound.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of James
Homuth
Sent: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 3:09 PM

Without knowing specifics it's hard to say for sure, but Sound Blaster is
just another brand of soundcard, and so far as I know JAWS has no problem
working with those. In fact I think I still have one kicking around here.

Johnson
Sent: June-07-17 3:53 PM

necessary.

(CHFS DMS)

Ted

White via Groups.Io

Kimberly Johnson

I might have the name wrong; it was part of a DEL XPX desktop computer I got
about 7 years ago. The sound system apparently was set-up for someone who
intended to use it as part of a surround sound system, and I had to go back
to analog in order to use it with JAWS.
Sorry,
I'm not a computer person. I mean I happily use them, but I have no
programming or specific computer knowledge. Now, if you need me to run some
statistics or you need some information about human development and aging,
then I'm all in.

(CHFS DMS)
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 4:33 PM

Oh, all-in-one; bet that sheds a different light. Sound Blaster is one of
the granddaddies of the sound card business., going back to the 1980's, or
early '90's. They were something of a novelty at first, but one must walk
before he can crawl. The first card I remember was a Votrax, meant mostly
for special applications, as I recall.

Ted

Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 3:53 PM

necessary.

(CHFS DMS)

Ted

White via Groups.Io

Richard Turner

I use a bleutooth keyboard with my iOS devices if I need to type more than a word or two.

But, iOS still won’t handle many of the work related tasks that one uses a computer for.

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kimberly Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 12:56 PM

Personally  I love my IOS devices, but when working, I want a keyboard. And I type faster if it’s an actual physical keyboard and not something I have to tap twice. My philosophy is always have more than one way to get a task done.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Ted

Kimberly Johnson

Understood.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 5:55 PM

I use a bleutooth keyboard with my iOS devices if I need to type more than a word or two.

But, iOS still won’t handle many of the work related tasks that one uses a computer for.

Richard

Sent: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 12:56 PM

Ted