Topics

moderated installing hp office pro 8820 printer/scanner

Ann Byrne

this animal connects I believe via wi-fi. My student says her phone found it without her doing anything. Will the computer find it? How do I make it happen? I have googled and can't find what I think I need.

thanks for any help.

Glenn / Lenny

There are typically two ways to connect to a printer, one is via WIFI only, and the other is through the network.
You may connect to the network via WIFI, but for this, that is meaningless.
So if you installed the software for it on the computer, if you want to connect through the network, tell the install program that it is a network printer.
If the printer is not wired into your modem/router, you can only connect via WIFI, like you are connecting to a hotspot.
You will have more control over the printer if it's plugged into your network, and you install it as such.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2019 4:55 PM
Subject: installing hp office pro 8820 printer/scanner

this animal connects I believe via wi-fi. My student says her phone found it without her doing anything. Will the computer find it? How do I make it happen? I have googled and can't find what I think I need.

thanks for any help.

David Griffith

I can only speak generally about this as I have no direct experience of your printer and others may have better ideas.

Generally WiFi printers have to be setup to connect onto your local Wifi network, after which it should be pretty easy to find as an available printer on your PC.  This of course assumes you are also on the same WiFi network.

Because printers typically set up using a screens display, identifying and connecting to your WiFi is normally pretty inaccessible  in my experience.

For this reason  I have always used a sighted person to perform this initial task.  For my current WiFi printer I got a computer engineer to do it for me for £20 here in the UK.

There is one possibly accessible way of doing this for a blind person I am aware of and that is to use a pairing button if your router and printer have these.

It still however depends on this pairing option being available by default as soon as the printer is first turned on.

Also of course you will need to know which are the pairing buttons on both your printer and router.

I copy below some instructions from the Which Magazine in the UK.

If your printer and router are both compatible with Wireless Protected Setup (WPS) this should be an option in the printer’s network menu.

If so, when prompted, all you need to do is press the WPS pairing button on your router and the corresponding button on the printer to wirelessly connect

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 10 November 2019 22:55
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: installing hp office pro 8820 printer/scanner

this animal connects I believe via wi-fi.  My student says her phone

found it without her doing anything.  Will the computer find it?  How

do I make it happen?  I have googled and can't find what I think I need.

thanks for any help.