How accessible is Word Press for creating websites with JAWS?

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

Is Word Press accessible with JAWS for creating websites?  Where is a good place to start for a beginning blind webmaster?  Are there any tips and tricks?

Thanks,

Richard

Negoslav Sabev

Search Google for Wordpress for bad eyes. It's a book from the blindness perspective. It costs about $10 but you won't regret paying.

Negoslav Sabev

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 6, 2017, at 10:12 PM, Richard B. McDonald <richardbmcdonald@...> wrote:

Hi!

Is Word Press accessible with JAWS for creating websites?  Where is a good place to start for a beginning blind webmaster?  Are there any tips and tricks?

Thanks,

Richard

David & his pack of dogs

I’m curious to know the answer too.  A sighted person, computer tech, told me when we were working on my website last Thursday, “David WordPress is not that accessible for working on a website.  Posting, yes.  But building a website, No.  She is learning a lot working with a screen reader.  She was the one who said what is on the screen for the sighted is not always what your screen reader is reading out to you.  Last week, she had to turn off JAWS because as it was reading out the screen, the curser was moving along like the proverbial ball.  She was not able to take over even though we were using Team viewer, screen sharing.

Search Google for Wordpress for bad eyes. It's a book from the blindness perspective. It costs about $10 but you won't regret paying.

Negoslav Sabev

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 6, 2017, at 10:12 PM, Richard B. McDonald <richardbmcdonald@...> wrote:

Hi!

Is Word Press accessible with JAWS for creating websites?  Where is a good place to start for a beginning blind webmaster?  Are there any tips and tricks?

Thanks,

Richard

aikeo koomanivong

Hi there.
About accessible wordpress or CMS I think sometime it’s depends on the Themes.
I used to try WORDPRESS, DRUPAL, JOOMLA, SMF and Etc.
For the WORDPRESS and JOOMLA it’s doesn’t have internal forum module
but for the DRUPAL all of them already in there.
To beginning with the WORDPRESS or another CMS 1st think would
recommend that you should learning with the internal server such:
XAMPP
https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html
appserve.
https://www.appserv.org/en/download/

the internal server that’s mean you could have your own server but you
cannot using it for main work just using for learning.
For more info please ask Google.
1 thing I could tell you that you could beginning by yourselves from
many websites try to learn with more than 1 sources
how to installing WORDPRESS with the XAMPP:
https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/setting-up-xampp/

for the accessibility after you could install or setup then you could
looking for the accessibility plugin or module or themes to make your
website more accessible
you could try more than WORDPRESS with XAMPP.
Oh wait for the others to answer more
I’m not sure my answer could make you well
Good luck

--
AIKEO KOOMANIVONG
CFBT-ICEVI coordinator of LAO PDR.

Vocational development for LAO-blind association [VDBA]
Office e-mail: vdba.lao@gmail.com
Facebook page:
www.facebook.com/laoblind.org
my personal e-mail: mlp_keo@yahoo.com
skype name: peba_007
mobile phone: +8562099993423
Facebook:
www.facebook.com/keo.laoblind
Linkedin:
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/aikeo-koomanivong/a7/156/b8b

Steve Nutt

Hi David,

I built my own web site at http://www.comproom.co.uk using Wordpress.

I also offer Wordpress training for those interested, and I am totally blind.

And yes, I have used JAWS and Window-Eyes and NVDA for web development.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Aidan <aidan.smarttalk@...>

Hi.
So steve, tell me, do you need to know html 5 or any of that well to
build a site with wordpress? Or are they doing it in a easyer way?

On 22/06/2017, Steve Nutt <steve@comproom.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

Facebook: m.facebook.com/aidan.maher92
Skype: andries4451
Twitter: smarttalk7
Audioboo: www.audioboo.com/DjSpotlight

James Homuth

I'm not Steve, but as with everything, knowing HTML5, or PHP, or things like
that will make things easier. WordPress can cover the basics well enough,
and there are plugins for just about everything, but if you want to get
fancy with web design, you're gonna need to get your hands dirty.

Search Google for Wordpress for bad eyes. It's a book from the
blindness perspective. It costs about $10 but you won't regret paying.

Negoslav Sabev

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 6, 2017, at 10:12 PM, Richard B. McDonald
<richardbmcdonald@gmail.com <mailto:richardbmcdonald@gmail.com> > wrote:

Hi!

Is Word Press accessible with JAWS for creating websites? Where is a
good place to start for a beginning blind webmaster? Are there any
tips and tricks?

Thanks,

Richard

--
Facebook: m.facebook.com/aidan.maher92
Skype: andries4451
Twitter: smarttalk7
Audioboo: www.audioboo.com/DjSpotlight

Stephanie Switzer

WordPress is pretty accessible out of the box. One thing I would recommend is to turn off the visual editor because that will mess with screen readers. David I would bet that that was one of the things that was messing with jaws. You need to uncheck the box that says visual editor.
Also some themes can mess with screen readers as well.
To answer the other persons question, no you don't need to know HTML or any other type of coding as word press covers the basics but if you want to get more in depth it wouldn't hurt to know son. By in-depth I mean making your website look nicer. Like say you wanted to make a list with headings at the top and then a list of items below that. You might need to know some HTML in order to do that.
I learned the word press on the fly back into thousand nine, but I'm sure if you Google there will be some beginner tutorials out there somewhere. You might also check on bard if you have that because I've seen they posted some books on WordPress from time to time. They should at least have one or two that can help a blind individual with who is just beginning withWordPress. Some of the books might be slightly out of date, but they should have some useful information.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 22, 2017, at 12:55 PM, James Homuth <james@the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Where would one find the visual editor?

Search Google for Wordpress for bad eyes. It's a book from the
blindness perspective. It costs about $10 but you won't regret paying.

Negoslav Sabev

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 6, 2017, at 10:12 PM, Richard B. McDonald
<richardbmcdonald@gmail.com <mailto:richardbmcdonald@gmail.com> > wrote:

Hi!

Is Word Press accessible with JAWS for creating websites? Where is a
good place to start for a beginning blind webmaster? Are there any
tips and tricks?

Thanks,

Richard

--
Facebook: m.facebook.com/aidan.maher92
Skype: andries4451
Twitter: smarttalk7
Audioboo: www.audioboo.com/DjSpotlight

Stephanie Switzer

I think it's under your profile. I'll have to look to be sure, but i do remember having to turn it off when creating a new user. I always go to the "users" link, then hit the "edit" link below the name i want, then look for it there. I hope this helps at least a little bit. I am an able to check my site to verify this so I will have to look on wordpress.com and hopefully i can varify these instructions on there. I go through the users link because I have more than one user on my site. However, I can't remember if it's actually necessary to go through the users link. You might just be able to click on "my profile"and access it from there. Not sure! I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 23, 2017, at 12:18 AM, David & his pack of dogs <myguidedogis@gmail.com> wrote:

Where would one find the visual editor?

Search Google for Wordpress for bad eyes. It's a book from the
blindness perspective. It costs about $10 but you won't regret paying.

Negoslav Sabev

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 6, 2017, at 10:12 PM, Richard B. McDonald
<richardbmcdonald@gmail.com <mailto:richardbmcdonald@gmail.com> > wrote:

Hi!

Is Word Press accessible with JAWS for creating websites? Where is a
good place to start for a beginning blind webmaster? Are there any
tips and tricks?

Thanks,

Richard

--
Facebook: m.facebook.com/aidan.maher92
Skype: andries4451
Twitter: smarttalk7
Audioboo: www.audioboo.com/DjSpotlight

Andre

Hi Steve. Would you email me privately? I’d like to discuss wordpress with you. My email address is stepserve@...

Thanks,

[...]

Jim Portillo

Hi Steve,

Could you also please email me privately for the same reasons?  Thanks.

Portillo.jim@...