Excel bothers me How to customize it?

Shannon

Hi all,

I use spread sheets every single day.

I have opened an excel sheet and when I am arrowing through it I am hearing things that are just…. Yucky!

1                     there is this annoying voice that speaks the cell coordinates.

I have futzed around with the voices so what I don’t know is which one of the voices is doing this.  It is the same one that says the status of a message in Outlook un-read, forwarded and replied.  And gives the erroneous indexes of the messages. (for some reason it always gives x of 44.)

2                     I don’t like hearing the contents and then the cell coordinates after.

I want to reverse the order. How can I do that?

3      How to make the entire first row  column headers and have it only report when I change columns? I don’t want to hear it when I stay in the same column.

Thanks

Shannon

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I can help you with the column headers, but I’m not sure why my coordinates speak after the data.

To set the column headers to read the way you want do the following:

One, Go to a1 and tap the alt key to bring up the upper ribbon and arrow to the formulas tab.

2.  down arrow to the lower ribbon and right arrow to the Define Names tab.

3.  Hit enter.

4.  Hit alt+n to create a new name.

5.  Write the word “title” without the quotes and hit enter.

6.  tab to the close button and hit spacebar.

Now, when you arrow down a column, it will speak the contents of the cell, but if you right arrow or tab, you will hear the column title.  As you down arrow, you will also hear the row title.

I hope that helps,

Richard

[...]

Thank you, Do I have to do this for every spread sheet.?

I want to hear the coordenants before the contents not after. I want to hear A2, meadows plaza not Meadows plaza A2

I looked around and found the spot to turn off the coordinates but not how to reverse the order of what is spoken. Is this one of the advanced settings of the verbosity settings?

Thanks again

Shannon

[...]

Yes, you have to do that for each Spreadsheet, unless someone with more experience knows how to make that universal.

I can’t find anything that would allow yu to change the order of the cell contents and coordinates.

I find it hard to believe that is true.

Maybe someone will chime in with the place to find that setting.

[...]

Mario

I'd be interested in the answer to #2 also; how to reverse the
announcement of the cell contents followed by the coordinates.

[...]

Laura,

insert+c will announce the coordinates of the cell you are in.  If you have lots of data in a cell, that would override it reading that info and tell you which cell you are in.  I’m not sure doing that for each cell would bevery practicle.  I hope there is a way for you to make that the default.

Richard

I have opened an excel sheet and when I am arrowing through it I am hearing things that are just…. Yucky!

1                     there is this annoying voice that speaks the cell coordinates.

I have futzed around with the voices so what I don’t know is which one of the voices is doing this.  It is the same one that says the status of a message in Outlook un-read, forwarded and replied.  And gives the erroneous indexes of the messages. (for some reason it always gives x of 44.)

2                     I don’t like hearing the contents and then the cell coordinates after.

I want to reverse the order. How can I do that?

3      How to make the entire first row  column headers and have it only report when I change columns? I don’t want to hear it when I stay in the same column.

Thanks

Shannon

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

What about a template?  Set it up the way you want it, then use it to create other spreadsheets.  Not sure if this will work, but it’s worth a try.  As for the order of data Vs. coordinates, I don’t think I ever remember a spreadsheet announcing the coordinates first.

Ted

[...]

Thanks,

Where will that information be placed Title then heading, Contents then coordinates or will it append to the end contents, coordinates, then column heading?

With the column heading on will I still have to listen to the contents then the coordinates?

I just read the  Popular applications  portion of the documentation.

Unless someone  does chime in and tell me/us we are wrong there are only two options

Cell Verbosity

This option controls whether to announce both cell content and coordinates or only cell content as cells are navigated. The default setting is to announce both cell content and coordinates.

I just don’t like that. I want to know where I am first then what is in the cell. That is another reason to use the column headings or titles.

This may be my first feature request.

This section also mentions something about document settings. This may be where that title section can be done for documents that are similar in naming

Workbook Settings

This option controls whether workbook settings are set for the settings file to be an exact match of the current file name, or a best match for the current file name. The default is exact match.

What do you think? Would this hold on to the Jaws setting for column and row titles?

[...]

Do you know the answer to number 1?
Which voice is it that is saying the coordinates?
Thanks
Shannon

[...]

Shannon,

I sent you a message off list with a template attached with the title row predefined at a1 on all 4 worksheets in the workbook.

However, I made the mistake of saving it after doing sheet 4.  So, when you open it, it opens to sheet 4.

If you choose to use it, you will need to open that template file in Excel and move up to sheet 1 and save it again.

Sorry about that.

Mario’s suggestion of creating a template works perfectly.

Richard

[...]

correction, Ted mentioned the use of a template, not me.

[...]

although I don't hear a different voice when coordinates are read when
navigating amung the cells using my copy of Excel, and from your
mentioning that the voice that announces cell coordinates is the same
one that says the status of a message in Outlook, I'm guessing it is
either Glenn if it is a slightly higher pitch voice or it might be Rocko
if the voice is a deeper voice.

[...]

.

Dale Alton <blinkydale@...>

For number 2 go into verbosity with a "jaws key+v", tab e once then press the letter "c" twice this should put you on cell verbosity.  Then press the spacebar for content only and press enter.

HTH

Denver Dale

[...]

I have fiddled around with all of the voices. I don't remember which curser voiceI assigned to what?. I also can't remember how to change it.
I thought some of you users would know which curser voice says what?
Maybe I should go back to factory defaults? But I don't know how to do that unless I uninstall and reinstall. But if I do that don't I have a problem with licensing?
All of your cursers use the same voice? JAWS is a bit confusing with all the cursers.
Thanks
Shannon

[...]

Dale, Yes  that will do just what you said but I don’t want that.

I want to hear the coordinates before the contents and the only choices are contents no coordinates or contents with coordinates.

Unless this is a separate verbosity setting?

Thanks

Shannon

[...]

Phil Cox <pdcox@...>

Hello Dale

I have tried your suggestion but it seems that I do not have Quick settings loading for the Excel program. I get the General one with Touch screen settings to start with instead. Does anyone know how to get the Excel setting loded by a different method?

TIA,   Phil

[...]

you could press insert+f2, type s until JAWS says Settings Center and
press enter, or you can press insert+numrow 6.

I have opened an excel sheet and when I am arrowing through it I am
hearing things that are just…. Yucky!

1 there is this annoying voice that speaks the
cell coordinates.

I have futzed around with the voices so what I don’t know is which
one of the voices is doing this. It is the same one that says the
status of a message in Outlook un-read, forwarded and replied. And
gives the erroneous indexes of the messages. (for some reason it always
gives x of 44.)

2 I don’t like hearing the contents and then the
cell coordinates after.

I want to reverse the order. How can I do that?

3 How to make the entire first row column headers and have it
only report when I change columns? I don’t want to hear it when I stay
in the same column.

Thanks

Shannon

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

The only way I can find to change the order is by changing the script.  Below is the script

Script SayCell()

If OnSpreadSheet()

&& !OnFormulaBar() then

   SayCell()

   if CellReadingVerbosity() == readCellContentsAndCoordinates then

      SayActiveCellCoordinates()

   Endif

;  SayCell()

EndIf

EndScript

I commented out the line

   SayCell()

And copied it And pasted it in the script just above the third “if” statement as shown above

Regards

Tom Bisset

I have opened an excel sheet and when I am arrowing through it I am hearing things that are just…. Yucky!

1                     there is this annoying voice that speaks the cell coordinates.

I have futzed around with the voices so what I don’t know is which one of the voices is doing this.  It is the same one that says the status of a message in Outlook un-read, forwarded and replied.  And gives the erroneous indexes of the messages. (for some reason it always gives x of 44.)

2                     I don’t like hearing the contents and then the cell coordinates after.

I want to reverse the order. How can I do that?

3      How to make the entire first row  column headers and have it only report when I change columns? I don’t want to hear it when I stay in the same column.

Thanks

Shannon

Dave...

Tom,

Good work. Only caveat is that you'll need to carry this version of the scripts over whenever updating JAWS to a new major version.

Dave

[...]

I agree, it's too annoying/confusing to hear different voices for
certain events, but there's no need to uninstall and reinstall.

to get JAWS to use one voice for everything, I'd suggest to check the
following:

press insert+j to get focus on the JAWS window.
press insert+numrow 6 to open the Settings Center.
press the down arrow key to Speech And Sounds Schemes and press the
right arrow key to open this category.
press the down arrow to the Active Speech and Sounds Scheme setting.
if the setting is not set to Classic, keep pressing the spacebar until
it is announced.
press the tab to the ok button and press the spacebar.

sorry it took a while for my reply. I haven't done this in a while
because I haven't experienced this particular problem, I had to brush up
on how to do it.