Speeding up the JAWS starting time?

David & his pack of dogs

I got a slight scare earlier this morning.  I restarted the computer and there was no JAWS starting up.  NVDA started up on the login screen but then went silent.  JAWS finally came on.  My question is, is there anyway to get it to come on quicker?  Honestly, I could have drank a cup of coffee waiting for JAWS to start speaking. 

Melissa Stott

I don’t think that there is a way to speed up start time for Jaws.  I’ve had this happen to me also.  There were times when I didn’t think that Jaws was going to start.

Melissa

Sent: Friday, June 2, 2017 4:52 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Speeding up the JAWS starting time?

I got a slight scare earlier this morning.  I restarted the computer and there was no JAWS starting up.  NVDA started up on the login screen but then went silent.  JAWS finally came on.  My question is, is there anyway to get it to come on quicker?  Honestly, I could have drank a cup of coffee waiting for JAWS to start speaking. 

Les Kriegler <kriegler@...>

Well, I've noticed it takes Jaws a lot longer to generate speech than was the case even in recent times. I sometimes load Jaws with a shortcut key, and this is where I notice the delay. I'd say it takes at least 10 seconds before I hear speech.

Les

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Melissa Stott
Sent: Friday, June 2, 2017 5:35 AM
Subject: Re: Speeding up the JAWS starting time?

I don’t think that there is a way to speed up start time for Jaws. I’ve had this happen to me also. There were times when I didn’t think that Jaws was going to start.

Melissa

From: David & his pack of dogs <mailto:myguidedogis@gmail.com>
To: main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>

I got a slight scare earlier this morning. I restarted the computer and there was no JAWS starting up. NVDA started up on the login screen but then went silent. JAWS finally came on. My question is, is there anyway to get it to come on quicker? Honestly, I could have drank a cup of coffee waiting for JAWS to start speaking.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

That usually happens to me after some kind of accident.  Windows is busy repairing and reconfiguring itself, after a bad shutdown.

Ted

Sent: Friday, June 02, 2017 5:35 AM

I don’t think that there is a way to speed up start time for Jaws.  I’ve had this happen to me also.  There were times when I didn’t think that Jaws was going to start.

Melissa

Dale Heltzer

Get a solid-state drive.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David & his pack of dogs
Sent: Friday, June 2, 2017 3:51 AM

Tony

There are times when Windows is busy cleaning up some mess or finishing updates that take longer than expected.

My old machine was taking 4 minutes to jaws speech.  It was not a slow machine but had been running for two years without much in the way of cleanup.  I installed a SSD and the boot time dropped to24 seconds without making any other changes.

My new Xeon Win 10machine with a faster SSD and more RAM takes twice as long to boot.  So much for progress.

Tony

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David & his pack of dogs
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2017 3:51 AM

David & his pack of dogs

Thanks Melissa.  Because my sister gave me the computer on loan, and it had to be reserected twice from the blue screen, my first thought was it’s died. Not a good thing when you have a remote scheduled in 9 hours and it all happens in the wee hours of the morning, think I have to cut back on the coffee.  LOL.  

Sent: Friday, June 2, 2017 2:35 AM

Melissa

David & his pack of dogs

Are you talking about an SSD?  Or something else.  Please enlighten me. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dale Heltzer
Sent: Friday, June 2, 2017 6:16 AM

Get a solid-state drive.

Alyssa <lyssassong@...>

I have noticed JAWS can be slowed down by other programs starting at start-up. If you have another screen reader starting too, that could be a problem. Some antivirus programs slow it as well, and some printer software .can too.

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi David,

You can try the following, it worked for me:

Note: The steps below were performed running Windows 7 & JAWS versions 15 thru 18.  These steps won't work with Windows 8 or 10, & why they won't is below my steps.
For those of you that have Jaws set to start at the Windows log-in screen, but it doesn't, this might work for you.  I looked in, msconfig, & found that JAWS Freedom Scientific wasn't at the top of the list on the Start-up Page / Tab, so this is what I did.
1. Press, Windows key + R, to open the run dialog.
2. Type, *msconfig*, without the stars, & press enter.
3. Press, control + tab, until you get to the, Start-up Page / Tab.
4. I arrowed down the list, & unchecked any items above, JAWS Freedom Scientific, on the Start-up Page / Tab.
Note: Only uncheck the items / programs above JAWS Freedom Scientific, & nothing else.  Pay close attention to what you uncheck because you are going to recheck these items / programs shortly.
5. Tab to the, Okay, button, press the spacebar, & tab 1 time to, Restart, & press enter to restart your computer.
6. Once your computer is booted up repeat steps 1 thru 3, & you will notice that JAWS Freedom Scientific is now at the top of the list.
7. Now, arrow down the list of items / programs on the Start-up Page / Tab, check the items / programs that you unchecked previously, & repeat step #5.
Now Jaws should start on the Windows log-in screen when your computer starts.  I did the above steps on 4 different computers, both desktop & lattop, &I'm not going to say it works everytime, but it sure works most of the time, which I can say is a damn site better than before I followed the above steps.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.

Mike:
I followed your instructions and when I got to the Start Up Page tab, I
could not arrow down any list. I pressed the tab button and still did not
find any programs list for start up. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Jerry

This doesn't work with Windows 10.  In 10, when you get to that StartUp tab,
you have to click on a link that takes you to Task Manager.
In my 10, the items in the StartUp tab seem to be sorted by name; not the
order of running.  Also in my 10, I have an Enable/Disable button as opposed
to a check/uncheck items.  So, I'd have to do more research to determine the
order in which the programs are loaded and how to change this order.
I've done a Google search and can't find anything that tells me how to do it
easily.
Reed

That's because anything from Windows 8 and up, the configuration file does
not handle start up items, the task manager does.

It will only work from Windows 7 and down.
Scorpio
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2017 7:39 AM

Thanks Melissa.  Because my sister gave me the computer on loan, and it had to be reserected twice from the blue screen, my first thought was it’s died. Not a good thing when you have a remote scheduled in 9 hours and it all happens in the wee hours of the morning, think I have to cut back on the coffee.  LOL.  

Melissa

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Sounds good, but make darn sure you know what you’re unchecking, or have a boot disk handy.  JAWS is pretty high on my list last time I looked; I’d have to go in and see what’s ahead of it.

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2017 3:13 PM

Hi David,

You can try the following, it worked for me:

Note: The steps below were performed running Windows 7 & JAWS versions 15 thru 18.  These steps won't work with Windows 8 or 10, & why they won't is below my steps.

For those of you that have Jaws set to start at the Windows log-in screen, but it doesn't, this might work for you.  I looked in, msconfig, & found that JAWS Freedom Scientific wasn't at the top of the list on the Start-up Page / Tab, so this is what I did.
1. Press, Windows key + R, to open the run dialog.
2. Type, *msconfig*, without the stars, & press enter.
3. Press, control + tab, until you get to the, Start-up Page / Tab.
4. I arrowed down the list, & unchecked any items above, JAWS Freedom Scientific, on the Start-up Page / Tab.
Note: Only uncheck the items / programs above JAWS Freedom Scientific, & nothing else.  Pay close attention to what you uncheck because you are going to recheck these items / programs shortly.
5. Tab to the, Okay, button, press the spacebar, & tab 1 time to, Restart, & press enter to restart your computer.
6. Once your computer is booted up repeat steps 1 thru 3, & you will notice that JAWS Freedom Scientific is now at the top of the list.
7. Now, arrow down the list of items / programs on the Start-up Page / Tab, check the items / programs that you unchecked previously, & repeat step #5.
Now Jaws should start on the Windows log-in screen when your computer starts.  I did the above steps on 4 different computers, both desktop & lattop, &I'm not going to say it works everytime, but it sure works most of the time, which I can say is a damn site better than before I followed the above steps.

Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.

Mike:
I followed your instructions and when I got to the Start Up Page tab, I
could not arrow down any list. I pressed the tab button and still did not
find any programs list for start up. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Jerry

This doesn't work with Windows 10.  In 10, when you get to that StartUp tab,
you have to click on a link that takes you to Task Manager.
In my 10, the items in the StartUp tab seem to be sorted by name; not the
order of running.  Also in my 10, I have an Enable/Disable button as opposed
to a check/uncheck items.  So, I'd have to do more research to determine the
order in which the programs are loaded and how to change this order.
I've done a Google search and can't find anything that tells me how to do it
easily.
Reed

That's because anything from Windows 8 and up, the configuration file does
not handle start up items, the task manager does.

It will only work from Windows 7 and down.
Scorpio

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, June 02, 2017 7:39 AM

Melissa

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I just tried reading this without using the Numb Lock, and I
pressed the Insert on the Six Pack and the Down Arrow on the
four arrows; it worked. JAWS read Say All.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Alyssa
Sent: Friday, June 2, 2017 10:53 AM

I have noticed JAWS can be slowed down by other programs
starting at start-up. If you have another screen reader
starting too, that could be a problem. Some antivirus
programs slow it as well, and some printer software .can
too.

Melissa Stott

LOL!  Might not be a bad idea.

Melissa

Sent: Friday, June 2, 2017 10:39 AM

Melissa

Ashleigh Piccinino

Hello,

I wonder if it would be in your JAWS startup wizard. As you go into there with insert j for the JAWS window, and alt h for the help menue before uparrowing to startup wizard, go to the page with your start JAWS at stuff and probably check the box that says “Start JAWS at log-on screen.” This might work ut don’t know; never done it. I always use the combobox which says has the start JAWS after log-on for thing. That, to me, seems the easier way, but there’s more than one way to do stuff, I guess. Try it and see if it doesn’t work.

Ashleigh

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, June 2, 2017 12:26 PM

Get a solid-state drive.

Pablo Morales

Install a SSD, it helps a little bit.

Sent: Friday, June 2, 2017 10:39 AM

Melissa

You might want to reinstall Windows 10 then, I have both a 5-year old Acer laptop with an iI5 processor from backthen and a new Asus Zenbook with an I7 Skylake processor, both have Windows 10 Creator’s Update and Jaws 18 and while the old Acer takes maybe a bit longer, both boot very fast. If my Asus is shut down and I press the button to turn it on it takes about 10 seconds for it to boot to the password/PIN prompt, then after I enter my PIN the desktop visually is there in about 2 or 3 seconds, Jaws takes maybe another 6 or 8 seconds to speak.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony
Sent: Friday, June 2, 2017 7:22 AM

There are times when Windows is busy cleaning up some mess or finishing updates that take longer than expected.

My old machine was taking 4 minutes to jaws speech.  It was not a slow machine but had been running for two years without much in the way of cleanup.  I installed a SSD and the boot time dropped to24 seconds without making any other changes.

My new Xeon Win 10machine with a faster SSD and more RAM takes twice as long to boot.  So much for progress.

Tony

Tony

It is a new machine with little junk installed.  Both Microsoft Disability Support and Dell Pro Support have looked at it.  Microsoft said wait for the 1703 update.  I did, it got worse.  Dell is still trying to figure out what is going on.

The Dell tech is pretty knowledgable and has solved a couple of Dell driver problems.  I’ll point out to her that your machine, which should be a bit slower based on the SSD, takes only about half the time my machine takes to boot.

Thanks

Tony

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2017 12:02 AM

You might want to reinstall Windows 10 then, I have both a 5-year old Acer laptop with an iI5 processor from backthen and a new Asus Zenbook with an I7 Skylake processor, both have Windows 10 Creator’s Update and Jaws 18 and while the old Acer takes maybe a bit longer, both boot very fast. If my Asus is shut down and I press the button to turn it on it takes about 10 seconds for it to boot to the password/PIN prompt, then after I enter my PIN the desktop visually is there in about 2 or 3 seconds, Jaws takes maybe another 6 or 8 seconds to speak.

Regards,

Sieghard

Tony

I should have mentioned that bothmy laptops have SSD

‘s, the old one came with a regular hard drive at the time, but I upgraded it immediately to an SSD, my new Asus Zenbook which compared to the old Acer is a pretty high-end computer, came with 16 Gb of RAM and a 512 SSD. It came with Windows 10 Home which I have since upgraded to Pro via a paid upgrade. I could have simply installed Windows 10 Pro from scratch, but this laptop unlike many others I have bought in the past came with more or less no preinstalled junk or bloatware and it ran so good out of the box that I didn’t feel it would make a difference.

I heard Del is a bit known for putting all sorts of stuff on their machines and if it’s a real concern I still think installing from scratch is your best option.

Regards,

Sieghard

Sent: Saturday, June 3, 2017 10:09 AM

It is a new machine with little junk installed.  Both Microsoft Disability Support and Dell Pro Support have looked at it.  Microsoft said wait for the 1703 update.  I did, it got worse.  Dell is still trying to figure out what is going on.

The Dell tech is pretty knowledgable and has solved a couple of Dell driver problems.  I’ll point out to her that your machine, which should be a bit slower based on the SSD, takes only about half the time my machine takes to boot.

Thanks

Tony

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel

Regards,

Sieghard

Tony

Tony

I’ve had the bloat problem in the past but this workstation came with very little of it.  Most of the bloat came with Windows.  I have downloaded the 1703 installation file and will probably install it after Dell finishes determining why my audio disappears from time to time.  I don’t want to give them any excuses to stop working on the problem.

Tony

Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2017 12:19 PM

I should have mentioned that bothmy laptops have SSD

‘s, the old one came with a regular hard drive at the time, but I upgraded it immediately to an SSD, my new Asus Zenbook which compared to the old Acer is a pretty high-end computer, came with 16 Gb of RAM and a 512 SSD. It came with Windows 10 Home which I have since upgraded to Pro via a paid upgrade. I could have simply installed Windows 10 Pro from scratch, but this laptop unlike many others I have bought in the past came with more or less no preinstalled junk or bloatware and it ran so good out of the box that I didn’t feel it would make a difference.

I heard Del is a bit known for putting all sorts of stuff on their machines and if it’s a real concern I still think installing from scratch is your best option.

Regards,

Sieghard

Sent: Saturday, June 3, 2017 10:09 AM

Thanks

Tony

Regards,

Sieghard

Tony