From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: May-30-17 10:13 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Windows update screen

I am finding that neither Window Eyes, NVDA or Jaws will read the screen for
the windows update.
Here is what I do.
Hit the start button and in the edit box type windows update and hit enter.
The next screen has a button for checking for updates as well as a lot of
other info. I can tab through some of the items but I can find no way to
read the screen line by line with the arrow keys or mouse keys.
Why is this screen so difficult to read?

Don H

Please explain how you use the jaws cursor to read this screen. I am a Jaws newbe and don't fully understand all the cursors available with Jaws.
Thanks

On 5/30/2017 9:18 PM, James Homuth wrote:
I can read the screen line by line with the JAWS cursor, but that's about
it. Otherwise it's tab all the way. As for why, that's a question for the
ages and would be a mighty fine topic if we had one or two MS employees
on-list.
I am finding that neither Window Eyes, NVDA or Jaws will read the screen for
the windows update.
Here is what I do.
Hit the start button and in the edit box type windows update and hit enter.
The next screen has a button for checking for updates as well as a lot of
other info. I can tab through some of the items but I can find no way to
read the screen line by line with the arrow keys or mouse keys.
Why is this screen so difficult to read?

Hi,
If you have Windows 10 and if you're talking about what I think you're
talking about, then JAWS cursor won't work there, as the way to retrieve
screen content is very different.
Cheers,
Joseph

I am finding that neither Window Eyes, NVDA or Jaws will read the screen for
the windows update.
Here is what I do.
Hit the start button and in the edit box type windows update and hit enter.
The next screen has a button for checking for updates as well as a lot of
other info. I can tab through some of the items but I can find no way to
read the screen line by line with the arrow keys or mouse keys.
Why is this screen so difficult to read?

Soronel Haetir

Also, make sure you have the window maximized as without that even tab
won't see everything it can. This is true for pretty much all windows
10 control panel windows (actually I believe that dates back to win8).

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

I believe this is because it's a screen full of controls. Have you tried the touch cursor to navigate from control to control?

Bill White
Billwhite92701@...

I am finding that neither Window Eyes, NVDA or Jaws will read the screen
for the windows update.
Here is what I do.
Hit the start button and in the edit box type windows update and hit enter.
The next screen has a button for checking for updates as well as a lot
of other info. I can tab through some of the items but I can find no
way to read the screen line by line with the arrow keys or mouse keys.
Why is this screen so difficult to read?

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

In Windows 10 this is one area where you get the best results with Narrator.

[...]

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reminder, I use the Touch cursor, but it's not as much part of my muscle memory as is the Jaws and PC cursor. You are correct, however, it does read things a bit better and if, for example, you go to Windows Defender you only get a few options using tab, but with the touch cursor it reads the version of virus definitions, malware definitions etc.

Regards,
Sieghard

I believe this is because it's a screen full of controls. Have you tried the touch cursor to navigate from control to control?

Bill White
Billwhite92701@...

I am finding that neither Window Eyes, NVDA or Jaws will read the screen for the windows update.
Here is what I do.
Hit the start button and in the edit box type windows update and hit enter.
The next screen has a button for checking for updates as well as a lot of other info. I can tab through some of the items but I can find no way to read the screen line by line with the arrow keys or mouse keys.
Why is this screen so difficult to read?

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

in the Windows update window press shift + + to switch to the touch cursor then left and right arrow to read the contents of the window.