Statistical Software

Miranda Brown

Hello,

Does anyone know of any accessible statistical software with JAWS?
Thank you

Sincerely,
Miranda Brown
Executive Assistant
1Touch Project

assistant@... <mailto:assistant@...>
418 Leffler St
West Burlington, IA 52655
Office: 319-208-1683
Mobile: 319-759-8980
www.1touchproject.com <http://www.1touchproject.com/>
www.facebook.com/1touchproject <http://www.facebook.com/1touchproject>

Donate your Car to 1Touch Project! Donate your car, boat, truck, RV, Jet Ski
or snowmobile to 1touch Project and receive a tax deduction. This no cost,
no hassle process begins when you contact our fundraising partner, Donation
Line LLC at 877-227-7487. Make sure to ask for our extension 3192. Or you
can click here
http://www.donationline.com/newvehicle_donation_form.shtml?n=Onetouch%20Proj
ect

Miranda Brown

Just to add that Excel is not powerful enough. I must be able to "perform
descriptive and inferential data analysis".

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Miranda
Brown
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 4:35 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Statistical Software

Hello,

Thank you

Sincerely,
Miranda Brown
Executive Assistant
1Touch Project

418 Leffler St

can click here
ect

Miranda,

You should certainly take a look at PSPP, which is the open-source alternative to IBM's proprietary SPSS.  And, of course, check out whether the organization you'll be working for/with has licensed access to SPSS.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

If you don't like someone, the way he holds his spoon will make you furious; if you do like him, he can turn his plate over into your lap and you won't mind.     ~ Irving Becker

Tim Ford

Hello Miranda,

You may want to check out this web page

Accessibility of IBM SPSS

Tim Ford

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel

Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 5:26 PM
Subject: Re: Statistical Software

Miranda,

You should certainly take a look at PSPP, which is the open-source alternative to IBM's proprietary SPSS.  And, of course, check out whether the organization you'll be working for/with has licensed access to SPSS.
--

Alyssa <lyssassong@...>

Unfortunately SPSS is not accessible. I was supposed to use it a few years back for grad school. Even with scripts, it did not play well with JAWS.

-Alyssa

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim Ford
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 9:03 PM

Hello Miranda,

Tim Ford

Miranda,

--

Tim Ford

I would check with IBM.  They claim otherwise, and if your experience is several years old, there is probably a huge difference.  If not, IBM makes it clear that they consider SPSS accessibility a priority, and if it were me, I would give them the chance.  Have them work on any problems.  Have good training materials.  If we give up on companies before they get religion and try harder, then we are cutting off our own potential opportunities. 

Tim Ford

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alyssa
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 6:04 PM

Unfortunately SPSS is not accessible. I was supposed to use it a few years back for grad school. Even with scripts, it did not play well with JAWS.

-Alyssa

Hello Miranda,

Tim Ford

Miranda,

--

Tim,

For the sake of clarity, the title on the page you linked to is:  

IBM SPSS Statistics V23 continues to increase accessibility to advanced analytics through new ways to analyze data

It is definitely not about accessibility in the sense of "via screen readers or other assistive technology."

--

If you don't like someone, the way he holds his spoon will make you furious; if you do like him, he can turn his plate over into your lap and you won't mind.     ~ Irving Becker

Tim Ford

Oops, I went just from the Bing search results and assumed.  Here are a couple more on point.  I assume that either on these pages or via a separate search one could track down the IBM real people behind their alleged accessibility emphasis. 

IBM SPSS and screen readers

optimizing the use of a screen reader with IBM® SPSS® Modeler

Tim Ford

Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 8:29 PM

Tim,

For the sake of clarity, the title on the page you linked to is:  

IBM SPSS Statistics V23 continues to increase accessibility to advanced analytics through new ways to analyze data

It is definitely not about accessibility in the sense of "via screen readers or other assistive technology."

--

Pablo Morales

Hi Miranda,
Yes, excel is able to help you with the creation of descriptive and
inferential data analysis. It is going to require a lot more work, because
you will need to tell excel a lot more things than if you are using a
specialize software. But, yes you can use excel for that.

Brown
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 5:37 PM

Just to add that Excel is not powerful enough. I must be able to "perform
descriptive and inferential data analysis".

Brown
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 4:35 PM
Subject: Statistical Software

Hello,

Thank you

Sincerely,
Miranda Brown
Executive Assistant
1Touch Project

418 Leffler St

can click here
ect

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I agree.  During my DisplayWrite days,  I found their support to  be platinum—couldn’t have asked for better.

Ted

Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 10:02 PM

I would check with IBM.  They claim otherwise, and if your experience is several years old, there is probably a huge difference.  If not, IBM makes it clear that they consider SPSS accessibility a priority, and if it were me, I would give them the chance.  Have them work on any problems.  Have good training materials.  If we give up on companies before they get religion and try harder, then we are cutting off our own potential opportunities. 

Tim Ford

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alyssa
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 6:04 PM

-Alyssa

Hello Miranda,

Tim Ford

Miranda,

--

I'm not pooh-poohing SPSS, but the issue arises even if it's 100% accessible someone's going to have to pay to license it, and those fees were, at least way back when I was using it (several decades ago), not insubstantial.

That's why I suggest folks take a look at PSPP first.  It's very well thought of and it may be accessible, though I can't state that for sure.  But it costs you nothing but a bit of time to check out and determine whether it's accessible and, if so, just how accessible.  You can also use it anywhere at no charge, which at least can be a big bonus.
--

Tim Ford

Hi Brian,

Very good points, especially when the JAWS user does not have someone else paying for the SPSS license.  An office However, an employer would presumably cover the cost, and probably already have such a license.  If this is a small employer, the state vocational rehabilitation agency could pick up the cost, and most critically, the cost of providing specific/focused JAWS training on use of that SPSS.  In office situations, it is usually frowned upon to ask to use open source alternative software; the tech folks get very nervous, and for good reason.

Tim Ford

Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 6:43 AM

I'm not pooh-poohing SPSS, but the issue arises even if it's 100% accessible someone's going to have to pay to license it, and those fees were, at least way back when I was using it (several decades ago), not insubstantial.

That's why I suggest folks take a look at PSPP first.  It's very well thought of and it may be accessible, though I can't state that for sure.  But it costs you nothing but a bit of time to check out and determine whether it's accessible and, if so, just how accessible.  You can also use it anywhere at no charge, which at least can be a big bonus.
--

Tim,

The only thing I'll disagree with you on is the "for good reason" part.  At this point in history there are any number of open-source projects, PSPP happening to be one of them but Libre Office, NVDA, Chromium, and the list goes on, that are well established as stable, viable products.

But my main point was that there is no clear indication that SPSS is fully accessible, and PSPP may be better in that regard.  Also, I was not (and am not) certain that the original questioner may not be doing freelance work or working for a very small company.  There are definite limits to what a state vocational rehabilitation agency is will be willing to pay.  Just now looking at the IBM SPSS Page to buy the most basic version as a single user desktop application costs $1,210 per year (with one year of technical support), and most won't buy subscription services (which is nearly the same cost at $99/month).  For the ultra premium package the cost is $8050.  See:  https://www.ibm.com/us-en/marketplace/spss-statistics/purchase#product-header.   You would need to have a mighty solid case, with almost ironclad requirement that this was not "an experiment," before most would put out that kind of money for a non-mainstream and non-assistive technology.  (Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.  Multiple times).

Tim Ford

I agree with you!  I also have that T-shirt!

I would suggest she at least try Voc
Rehab.  She has an excellent case, and in my experience, voc rehab agencies are more likely to provide funding in this type of situation because it is directly related to a person getting or keeping a job, or expanding her productivity and usefulness, thus giving her better work experience and better job opportunities.  If she is initially denied, each state must have a fair hearing appeals process, and this sounds like a case that she is likely to prevail.  No guarantees of course, but her situation should fit right in the wheel house of what a voc rehab agency would want to fund.

Tim Ford

Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 11:15 AM

Tim,

The only thing I'll disagree with you on is the "for good reason" part.  At this point in history there are any number of open-source projects, PSPP happening to be one of them but Libre Office, NVDA, Chromium, and the list goes on, that are well established as stable, viable products.

But my main point was that there is no clear indication that SPSS is fully accessible, and PSPP may be better in that regard.  Also, I was not (and am not) certain that the original questioner may not be doing freelance work or working for a very small company.  There are definite limits to what a state vocational rehabilitation agency is will be willing to pay.  Just now looking at the IBM SPSS Page to buy the most basic version as a single user desktop application costs $1,210 per year (with one year of technical support), and most won't buy subscription services (which is nearly the same cost at $99/month).  For the ultra premium package the cost is $8050.  See:  https://www.ibm.com/us-en/marketplace/spss-statistics/purchase#product-header.   You would need to have a mighty solid case, with almost ironclad requirement that this was not "an experiment," before most would put out that kind of money for a non-mainstream and non-assistive technology.  (Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.  Multiple times).

Miranda Brown

I am only needing the software for my master’s program.  Thank you everyone. They are using PSPP software and I was initially told it was not accessible but I will take everyone’s comments into consideration and look into it. Thanks for all of the advice.

Miranda

Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:26 PM

I agree with you!  I also have that T-shirt!

I would suggest she at least try Voc
Rehab.  She has an excellent case, and in my experience, voc rehab agencies are more likely to provide funding in this type of situation because it is directly related to a person getting or keeping a job, or expanding her productivity and usefulness, thus giving her better work experience and better job opportunities.  If she is initially denied, each state must have a fair hearing appeals process, and this sounds like a case that she is likely to prevail.  No guarantees of course, but her situation should fit right in the wheel house of what a voc rehab agency would want to fund.

Tim Ford

Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 11:15 AM

Tim,