From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Bentley
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 5:56 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: A Jaws tandem question

Hi all,

I need to download the latest version of Jaws 17.  I see that there are 2 versions. The tandem and the nontandem versions.  The tandem version allows for tandem sessions while the nontandem does not.

OK, my question.  What possible advantage could there be to downloading the nontandem version?

Many thanks,

James B

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a bad example.

Maria Campbell

I wouldn't be without the Tandem feature.  For one thing, tech support can help fix issues via tandem.  Friends can help friends with issues via tandem.

lucky1inct@...
Faithfulness does not begin with large tasks-if it is not present in small things, it does not exist at all.
On 5/27/2017 11:10 AM, James Malone wrote:

You will still have the same functionality of Jaws, but without tandem. This would be just like the days when it wasn’t around.

I need to download the latest version of Jaws 17.  I see that there are 2 versions. The tandem and the nontandem versions.  The tandem version allows for tandem sessions while the nontandem does not.

OK, my question.  What possible advantage could there be to downloading the nontandem version?

Many thanks,

James B

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a bad example.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

I think they have the Tandem and non-Tandem versions for two reasons:

1. the Non-Tandem version is a slightly smaller program to download.

2. The Non-Tandem takes slightly less memory on computers which have less RAM.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

I need to download the latest version of Jaws 17.  I see that there are 2 versions. The tandem and the nontandem versions.  The tandem version allows for tandem sessions while the nontandem does not.

OK, my question.  What possible advantage could there be to downloading the nontandem version?

Many thanks,

James B

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a bad example.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

The advantage to Tandem is that someone can help you with
your program like VFO or Microsoft Disability, even good and
savvy people from the list in some cases.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

I need to download the latest version of Jaws 17. I see
that there are 2 versions. The tandem and the nontandem
versions. The tandem version allows for tandem sessions
while the nontandem does not.

OK, my question. What possible advantage could there be to
downloading the nontandem version?

Many thanks,

James B

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a
bad example.

James Bentley

Bill,

I never thought about the 2 reasons that you are suggesting.  But, I suspect that you are correct.

Thanks to all who responded to my question.

James B

I need to download the latest version of Jaws 17.  I see that there are 2 versions. The tandem and the nontandem versions  The tandem version allows for tandem sessions while the nontandem does not.

OK, my question.  What possible advantage could there be to downloading the nontandem version?

Many thanks,

James B

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a bad example.

Alan Robbins <alan1057@...>

I am always very hesitant to have someone else poking around in my machine and making changes. I prefer them to talk me through it and then I make the changes and know what was changed. If I do feel I'm in over my head and have someone else make changes, I am always very sure that I have a current image back up should I need it.
There has been times that I have had Microsoft accessibility tinker around with my wife's machine and I simply had to restore the image because the fix created many other issues that were not present prior to it.
This is not to cast a negative aspersions on Microsoft accessibility or any other tech savvy person on the list. This is only passing on my experiences and I feel when you have other people make changes to your machine if you are not learning what the problem was and therefore can't have no way to fix it in the future.

On May 27, 2017, at 11:30 AM, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:

The advantage to Tandem is that someone can help you with
your program like VFO or Microsoft Disability, even good and
savvy people from the list in some cases.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

I need to download the latest version of Jaws 17. I see
that there are 2 versions. The tandem and the nontandem
versions. The tandem version allows for tandem sessions
while the nontandem does not.

OK, my question. What possible advantage could there be to
downloading the nontandem version?

Many thanks,

James B

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a
bad example.

James Bentley

Alan, I agree with 100% of all that you are saying.

In addition, I recommend making a recording of all tech support calls.  You may learn something from the call.  Or, You may need a record of what was done so you can reverse any negative changes.

At least MS is trying.  But, They definitely need to improve their tech support.

James B

Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 11:03 AM

I am always very hesitant to have someone else poking around in my machine and making changes. I prefer them to talk me through it and then I make the changes and know what was changed. If I do feel I'm in over my head and have someone else make changes, I am always very sure that I have a current image back up should I need it.
There has been times that I have had Microsoft accessibility tinker around with my wife's machine and I simply had to restore the image because the fix created many other issues that were not present prior to it.
This is not to cast a negative aspersions on Microsoft accessibility or any other tech savvy person on the list. This is only passing on my experiences and I feel when you have other people make changes to your machine if you are not learning what the problem was and therefore can't have no way to fix it in the future.

> On May 27, 2017, at 11:30 AM, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...> wrote:
>
> The advantage to Tandem is that someone can help you with
> your program like VFO or Microsoft Disability, even good and
> savvy people from the list in some cases.
>
> Bye for now,
>
> Carolyn

Mario

one benefit would be is if JAWS is being used on a computer that is not
connected to the Internet, there would be no need to have the tandem
feature installed, therefore saving hard drive space.
these days of such huge capacities of hard drives, I can't imagine it
would be much.

You will still have the same functionality of Jaws, but without tandem. This
would be just like the days when it wasn't around.

I need to download the latest version of Jaws 17. I see that there are 2
versions. The tandem and the nontandem versions. The tandem version allows
for tandem sessions while the nontandem does not.

OK, my question. What possible advantage could there be to downloading the
nontandem version?

Many thanks,

James B

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a bad example.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I wondered why there was an option and what would be the
advantage of non-tandem. Is it less expensive?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

I need to download the latest version of Jaws 17. I see
that there are 2 versions. The tandem and the nontandem
versions. The tandem version allows for tandem sessions
while the nontandem does not.

OK, my question. What possible advantage could there be to
downloading the nontandem version?

Many thanks,

James B

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a
bad example.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

That makes my husband really nervous too, but I'm not all
that good, and so appreciate the help I get with tandem.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

I need to download the latest version of Jaws 17. I see
that there
are 2 versions. The tandem and the nontandem versions.
The tandem
version allows for tandem sessions while the nontandem
does not.

OK, my question. What possible advantage could there be
downloading the nontandem version?

Many thanks,

James B

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as
a bad
example.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

No, no less expensive. Just less bulky to download, in memory, and you have gthe advantage of not having something which needs the Internet to connect.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of detection engine 15487 (20170527) __________

http://www.eset.com