From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carol Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 2:30 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Convenient OCR

Hi,

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is
not working. I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today. When I get to the press of the d, I
get a sound and nothing happens. Is it possible I a) either made a
mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow
me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Tom Behler

Carol:

I had this exact same problem with an earlier version of Jaws 18 here.

I recently upgraded to Jaws 18.0.2945, and now, Convenient OCR works fine.

Not sure what the issue was with the earlier version, but the update seems to have corrected it.

From what I can tell, you are doing the steps correctly.

I'm using Windows 7 here.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is not working. I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today. When I get to the press of the d, I get a sound and nothing happens. Is it possible I a) either made a mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

Hi, you need to open the document in adobe and then perform the OCR
Regards
Tom Bisset

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is not working. I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today. When I get to the press of the d, I get a sound and nothing happens. Is it possible I a) either made a mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Carol Smith

OK, what am I supposed to open it with, grin. If I press enter on it, it opens with either the Microsoft image viewer or Balabolka. Of course, Balabolka can read some pdf files, so it is not necessary to do anything else. I am truely lost here, as I don't think I pressed enter on anything the first time.

Carol

On 5/26/2017 2:35 PM, Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) wrote:
Did you load the document first?

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is
not working. I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today. When I get to the press of the d, I
get a sound and nothing happens. Is it possible I a) either made a
mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow
me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Carol,

1st, press enter to open the PDF file!  LOL
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 11:29 AM

Hi,

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is
not working.  I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today.  When I get to the press of the d, I
get a sound and nothing happens.  Is it possible I a) either made a
mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow
me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I don't know how your system is set up, but most systems open PDF's with Acrobat Reader (or some similar product)by default. When you hear the words "empty document," then you initiate Convenient OCR.

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is
not working. I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today. When I get to the press of the d, I
get a sound and nothing happens. Is it possible I a) either made a
mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow
me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Tom Behler

Ted and all:

Based on my experience yesterday, Convenient OCR will also pull the text from PDF documents that are not scanned image files.

I use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC here.

Tom Behler

I don't know how your system is set up, but most systems open PDF's with Acrobat Reader (or some similar product)by default. When you hear the words "empty document," then you initiate Convenient OCR.

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is
not working. I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today. When I get to the press of the d, I
get a sound and nothing happens. Is it possible I a) either made a
mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't
allow me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I noticed that in your earlier reply. I never thought about it before, simply because I never saw the need to scan what was right in front of me. Come to think of it, years ago--long before Convenient OCR--I had experiences similar to what you reported.

Ted

[...]

I am sitting here with a HUGE grin on my face because I was able to do it with the first install, but not with the new one. Go figure :)

On 5/26/2017 2:48 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
Carol:

I had this exact same problem with an earlier version of Jaws 18 here.

I recently upgraded to Jaws 18.0.2945, and now, Convenient OCR works fine.

Not sure what the issue was with the earlier version, but the update seems to have corrected it.

From what I can tell, you are doing the steps correctly.
I'm using Windows 7 here.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is not working. I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today. When I get to the press of the d, I get a sound and nothing happens. Is it possible I a) either made a mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Gene Stevens

The documentation on OCR states that you have to open the .PDF file first. Then you can go through the steps you outlined.

I didn't see in your list of the steps you took that you opened the .PDF file.

I am sitting here with a HUGE grin on my face because I was able to do it with the first install, but not with the new one. Go figure :)
On 5/26/2017 2:48 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
Carol:

I had this exact same problem with an earlier version of Jaws 18 here.

I recently upgraded to Jaws 18.0.2945, and now, Convenient OCR works fine.

Not sure what the issue was with the earlier version, but the update seems to have corrected it.

From what I can tell, you are doing the steps correctly.
I'm using Windows 7 here.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is not working. I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today. When I get to the press of the d, I get a sound and nothing happens. Is it possible I a) either made a mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Tom Behler

Very strange, indeed!

Tom Behler

I am sitting here with a HUGE grin on my face because I was able to do it with the first install, but not with the new one. Go figure :) On 5/26/2017 2:48 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
Carol:

I had this exact same problem with an earlier version of Jaws 18 here.

I recently upgraded to Jaws 18.0.2945, and now, Convenient OCR works fine.

Not sure what the issue was with the earlier version, but the update seems to have corrected it.

From what I can tell, you are doing the steps correctly.
I'm using Windows 7 here.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is not working. I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today. When I get to the press of the d, I get a sound and nothing happens. Is it possible I a) either made a mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Carol Smith

What should it open with?

My options are Windows Photo Viewer, Paint Microsoft Word and Office Picture Manager.

Some pdf files I have can open in Balabolka.

Carol

Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 11:29 AM

Hi,

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is
not working.  I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today.  When I get to the press of the d, I
get a sound and nothing happens.  Is it possible I a) either made a
mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow
me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Gene Stevens

Adobe Reader is a free one that can be used.

Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 11:29 AM

Hi,

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is
not working.  I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today.  When I get to the press of the d, I
get a sound and nothing happens.  Is it possible I a) either made a
mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow
me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Tom Behler

So is Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

Tom Behler

Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 11:29 AM

Hi,

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is
not working.  I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today.  When I get to the press of the d, I
get a sound and nothing happens.  Is it possible I a) either made a
mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow
me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Dave...

You need to first open the document in Adobe, and then use the OCR.

Dave

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is
not working. I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today. When I get to the press of the d, I
get a sound and nothing happens. Is it possible I a) either made a
mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow
me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Andre

Can convenient ocr work if you have a screen shot? I have one in an ms word file that I think is in the .png format.

Does convenient ocr come automatically installed, or do I have to install it separately?

Thanks,

You need to first open the document in Adobe, and then use the OCR.

Dave

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is
not working. I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today. When I get to the press of the d, I
get a sound and nothing happens. Is it possible I a) either made a
mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow
me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Dave...

Adobe Acrobat. It's completely free to download.

Dave

Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 11:29 AM

Hi,

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is
not working.  I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today.  When I get to the press of the d, I
get a sound and nothing happens.  Is it possible I a) either made a
mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow
me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Dave...

Carol,

My bad. Not Adobe Acrobat -- Adobe Reader.

Dave

Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 11:29 AM

Hi,

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is
not working.  I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D

I did the same thing again today.  When I get to the press of the d, I
get a sound and nothing happens.  Is it possible I a) either made a
mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow
me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>