Topics

Outlook Express

Gene Stevens

Found something interesting last night. I found a copy of Outlook Express 6 that seems to be running quit well on windows 10 V1607.

As I'm not a high Email user and I don't much like the Mail App I thought I'd give it a shot since there seem to be issues with Thunderbird.

So if some of you are old enough to remember OE and don't like the offerings of today perhaps this is a good solution for you.

Carol Smith

Does it work on Windows 7?  I thought it was not supposed to, so that is why I don't have it.  By the time they got most of the bugs out of WLM, I had already gotten used to Thunderbird.  Also, how does Windows Mail work, if it does at all, on Windows 7?  Thankd

Carol

On 5/26/2017 9:22 AM, Gene Stevens wrote:
Found something interesting last night. I found a copy of Outlook Express 6 that seems to be running quit well on windows 10 V1607.

As I'm not a high Email user and I don't much like the Mail App I thought I'd give it a shot since there seem to be issues with Thunderbird.

So if some of you are old enough to remember OE and don't like the offerings of today perhaps this is a good solution for you.

Gene Stevens

As far as the info provided on the site states yes it will run on Windows 7.

The Windows Mail App is part of Windows 10.

The download link is...

Does it work on Windows 7?  I thought it was not supposed to, so that is why I don't have it.  By the time they got most of the bugs out of WLM, I had already gotten used to Thunderbird.  Also, how does Windows Mail work, if it does at all, on Windows 7?  Thankd

Carol

On 5/26/2017 9:22 AM, Gene Stevens wrote:
Found something interesting last night. I found a copy of Outlook Express 6 that seems to be running quit well on windows 10 V1607.

As I'm not a high Email user and I don't much like the Mail App I thought I'd give it a shot since there seem to be issues with Thunderbird.

So if some of you are old enough to remember OE and don't like the offerings of today perhaps this is a good solution for you.

Carol Smith

Thank you.  I am getting enough traffice right now that this would be a good time to test it.  I will put this email account on it and see how it goes.

Carol

On 5/26/2017 10:33 AM, Gene Stevens wrote:
[...]

The spell checker is also available from the same site.

Does it work on Windows 7?  I thought it was not supposed to, so that is why I don't have it.  By the time they got most of the bugs out of WLM, I had already gotten used to Thunderbird.  Also, how does Windows Mail work, if it does at all, on Windows 7?  Thankd

Carol

On 5/26/2017 9:22 AM, Gene Stevens wrote:
Found something interesting last night. I found a copy of Outlook Express 6 that seems to be running quit well on windows 10 V1607.

As I'm not a high Email user and I don't much like the Mail App I thought I'd give it a shot since there seem to be issues with Thunderbird.

So if some of you are old enough to remember OE and don't like the offerings of today perhaps this is a good solution for you.

Mario

Carol, the versions that are there are beta programs which means they
most likely have problems. and last I heard is that the version that you
can get by paying a nominal fee doesn't work well enough to be used with
a screen reader. since Microsoft doesn't support Outlook Express any
more, it's likely that it'll be very difficult to find any assistance. I
wouldn't bother with it.

https://www.jaws-users.com/programs/Email/oe6.exe

Does it work on Windows 7? I thought it was not supposed to, so
that is why I don't have it. By the time they got most of the
bugs out of WLM, I had already gotten used to Thunderbird. Also,
how does Windows Mail work, if it does at all, on Windows 7? Thankd

Carol

On 5/26/2017 9:22 AM, Gene Stevens wrote:
Found something interesting last night. I found a copy of Outlook
Express 6 that seems to be running quit well on windows 10 V1607.
As I'm not a high Email user and I don't much like the Mail App I
thought I'd give it a shot since there seem to be issues with
Thunderbird.
So if some of you are old enough to remember OE and don't like
the offerings of today perhaps this is a good solution for you.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

It works fine.

Does it work on Windows 7? I thought it was not supposed to, so
that is why I don't have it. By the time they got most of the
bugs out of WLM, I had already gotten used to Thunderbird. Also,
how does Windows Mail work, if it does at all, on Windows 7? Thankd

Carol

On 5/26/2017 9:22 AM, Gene Stevens wrote:
Found something interesting last night. I found a copy of Outlook
Express 6 that seems to be running quit well on windows 10 V1607.
As I'm not a high Email user and I don't much like the Mail App I
thought I'd give it a shot since there seem to be issues with
Thunderbird.
So if some of you are old enough to remember OE and don't like
the offerings of today perhaps this is a good solution for you.

Gene Stevens

Actually it works quite well on Windows 10 V1607 using Jaws 18 and accessing ATT email addresses. I have had no issues in the nearly 48 hours I've been using it. In fact this entire series of emails has been sent and received using it.

It looks just like I remember it on XP and I have no problems what so ever with it and Jaws.

Does it work on Windows 7? I thought it was not supposed to, so
that is why I don't have it. By the time they got most of the
bugs out of WLM, I had already gotten used to Thunderbird. Also,
how does Windows Mail work, if it does at all, on Windows 7? Thankd

Carol

On 5/26/2017 9:22 AM, Gene Stevens wrote:
Found something interesting last night. I found a copy of Outlook
Express 6 that seems to be running quit well on windows 10 V1607.
As I'm not a high Email user and I don't much like the Mail App I
thought I'd give it a shot since there seem to be issues with
Thunderbird.
So if some of you are old enough to remember OE and don't like
the offerings of today perhaps this is a good solution for you.

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

I started to use outlook express on my windows 10 machine; then windows came along with an update and removed it, along ith my address book and all my mail. We have no control any more, it seems. Give me DOS!

[...]

Well, I have OE partially set up.  I can receive messages, but can not send them.  The good thing is that I set it up for imap.  If I want to reply to someone, I can use Thunderbird.

Reading messages in Outlook with Jaws is a breeze.  The program is not cluttered and I can get through my messages at least twice as fast.  So, for now, this will help a lot in getting through all of the extra email.  I know things will slow down as soon as I  am able to get caught up on infirmation I am gleaning from the three new lists, plus the heavier than normal traffic from the other group I belong to.

Thanks again for the link.

Carol

On 5/26/2017 9:22 AM, Gene Stevens wrote:
Found something interesting last night. I found a copy of Outlook Express 6 that seems to be running quit well on windows 10 V1607.

As I'm not a high Email user and I don't much like the Mail App I thought I'd give it a shot since there seem to be issues with Thunderbird.

So if some of you are old enough to remember OE and don't like the offerings of today perhaps this is a good solution for you.

david

Sounds like your outgoing server settings are not correct.

       Statistics are like a bikini.  What they reveal is suggestive, but
what they conceal is vital.

[...]

You are welcome. And if you need some help in getting the outgoing straightened out feel free to contact me privately if you like.

[...]

Hello;
I believe the settings would be,

Incoming server (IMAP): 993 or 143

Incoming server encrypted connection: SSL
This needs to be checked,
Outgoing server (SMTP): 587

Outgoing server encrypted connection: TLS
So, down arrow to that setting.
Now you're email should work both send and receive.

[...]

Hi Gene,

Thank you for your offer of help.  It appears I may need to take you up on it.  Can you send me your contact information?  Thank you.

Carol