Reversed Documents List

Shirley Tracy

Help! I'm running Windows 7 and JAWS 18. Suddenly my "Documents" has inverted--instead of running from the A's to the Z's, they list from the Z's to the A's. It's not a big deal, but I'm not used to it and would really like to get it back where it was. have no idea what made it reverse.
Not sure if this is a JAWS issue or not, but I'd be grateful if someone could tell me how to fix it since I'll need to use JAWS to do it.

Thank you in advance.

Shirley

Brenda <bjnite@...>

Not sure of your email program, but in Thunderbird you go to view by pressing ALT, arrow down to sort and then check or uncheck ascending or descending. If you are using outlook, it is probably similar.

Brenda

On 5/25/2017 1:25 PM, Shirley Tracy wrote:
Help! I'm running Windows 7 and JAWS 18. Suddenly my "Documents" has inverted--instead of running from the A's to the Z's, they list from the Z's to the A's. It's not a big deal, but I'm not used to it and would really like to get it back where it was. have no idea what made it reverse.
Not sure if this is a JAWS issue or not, but I'd be grateful if someone could tell me how to fix it since I'll need to use JAWS to do it.
Thank you in advance.
Shirley

Carol Smith

While in your list of files, press alt-v (view menu)
Press o for sort order
Press enter on name.
This will return the files to the original sort order.

Carol

On 5/25/2017 1:25 PM, Shirley Tracy wrote:
Help! I'm running Windows 7 and JAWS 18. Suddenly my "Documents" has inverted--instead of running from the A's to the Z's, they list from the Z's to the A's. It's not a big deal, but I'm not used to it and would really like to get it back where it was. have no idea what made it reverse.
Not sure if this is a JAWS issue or not, but I'd be grateful if someone could tell me how to fix it since I'll need to use JAWS to do it.

Thank you in advance.

Shirley

Dave...

What list of documents are you referring to? What program is listing them?

Dave

Help! I'm running Windows 7 and JAWS 18. Suddenly my "Documents" has
inverted--instead of running from the A's to the Z's, they list from the Z's
to the A's. It's not a big deal, but I'm not used to it and would really
like to get it back where it was. have no idea what made it reverse.
Not sure if this is a JAWS issue or not, but I'd be grateful if someone
could tell me how to fix it since I'll need to use JAWS to do it.

Thank you in advance.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Thank you so much. So simple, but I didn't know.
Shirley Tracy
author
OPERATION CODE CHARLIE
now available at major book sellers

---- "Carol Smith via Groups.Io" <carollablady=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

=============
While in your list of files, press alt-v (view menu)
Press o for sort order
Press enter on name.
This will return the files to the original sort order.

Carol

On 5/25/2017 1:25 PM, Shirley Tracy wrote:
Help! I'm running Windows 7 and JAWS 18. Suddenly my "Documents" has inverted--instead of running from the A's to the Z's, they list from the Z's to the A's. It's not a big deal, but I'm not used to it and would really like to get it back where it was. have no idea what made it reverse.
Not sure if this is a JAWS issue or not, but I'd be grateful if someone could tell me how to fix it since I'll need to use JAWS to do it.

Thank you in advance.

Shirley

Mario

I don't think Shirley's problem is in Outlook, it sounds like it's in
File Explorer.

Not sure of your email program, but in Thunderbird you go to view by
pressing ALT, arrow down to sort and then check or uncheck ascending or
descending. If you are using outlook, it is probably similar.

Brenda

On 5/25/2017 1:25 PM, Shirley Tracy wrote:
Help! I'm running Windows 7 and JAWS 18. Suddenly my "Documents" has
inverted--instead of running from the A's to the Z's, they list from
the Z's to the A's. It's not a big deal, but I'm not used to it and
would really like to get it back where it was. have no idea what made
it reverse.
Not sure if this is a JAWS issue or not, but I'd be grateful if
someone could tell me how to fix it since I'll need to use JAWS to do it.

Thank you in advance.

Shirley

.

Mario

press the tab key past the files to a name split button, then press the
enter key. there's no need to press shift+tab to go back to the list of
files. they should be in ascending order now. this name split button is
a toggle between descending and ascending order.

if this is not what you need or it doesn't help, let us know.

Help! I'm running Windows 7 and JAWS 18. Suddenly my "Documents" has
inverted--instead of running from the A's to the Z's, they list from the
Z's to the A's. It's not a big deal, but I'm not used to it and would
really like to get it back where it was. have no idea what made it reverse.
Not sure if this is a JAWS issue or not, but I'd be grateful if someone
could tell me how to fix it since I'll need to use JAWS to do it.

Thank you in advance.

Shirley

.

Brenda <bjnite@...>

True, I jumped to conclusions, but the same windows concepts apply - view and options...

I'll tell my brain and fingers to slow down in the future.

Brenda

On 5/25/2017 3:02 PM, Mario wrote:
[...]

Thank you for this. I learned something else new today. It cut my normal keystrokes from four down to two.

Carol

On 5/25/2017 3:13 PM, Mario wrote:
press the tab key past the files to a name split button, then press the
enter key. there's no need to press shift+tab to go back to the list of
files. they should be in ascending order now. this name split button is
a toggle between descending and ascending order.

if this is not what you need or it doesn't help, let us know.

Help! I'm running Windows 7 and JAWS 18. Suddenly my "Documents" has
inverted--instead of running from the A's to the Z's, they list from the
Z's to the A's. It's not a big deal, but I'm not used to it and would
really like to get it back where it was. have no idea what made it reverse.
Not sure if this is a JAWS issue or not, but I'd be grateful if someone
could tell me how to fix it since I'll need to use JAWS to do it.

Thank you in advance.

Shirley

.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

In Outlook, it is Alt-V-V-S, second tab. I think there is a reverse sort somewhere too in some of the Outlook ribbons.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Not sure of your email program, but in Thunderbird you go to view by pressing ALT, arrow down to sort and then check or uncheck ascending or descending. If you are using outlook, it is probably similar.

Brenda

On 5/25/2017 1:25 PM, Shirley Tracy wrote:
Help! I'm running Windows 7 and JAWS 18. Suddenly my "Documents" has inverted--instead of running from the A's to the Z's, they list from the Z's to the A's. It's not a big deal, but I'm not used to it and would really like to get it back where it was. have no idea what made it reverse.
Not sure if this is a JAWS issue or not, but I'd be grateful if someone could tell me how to fix it since I'll need to use JAWS to do it.

Thank you in advance.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Hi Carol, Mario, and all:

Thank you, Carol. And thank you, Mario, I appreciate your input because I was having a problem going through the other steps. I think my biggest problem is that I've been using XP and FINALLY went up to Windows 7. I'm still figuring out how to use it. I don't think Alt plus V brings up a view minue. But maybe I'm just off base here. Any way, going over to Names "split button" is great.

More ignorance here: What exactly is meant by "split button" instead of just "button?" I'm probably using them correctly but never found a definition.

Thanks again for your patience and help.

Cheerfully,

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Shirley. A split button is a button which offers more than one option. For example, if using Internet Explorer11, you can press ALT plus N when saving a file. If you TAB, you will see a Save Split Button. The Split part is that the button is split between different functions. Once you click on the Split Button, if you arrow up and down, you will see three different choices:
Save,
Save As,
And
Save and Open.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

Help! I'm running Windows 7 and JAWS 18. Suddenly my "Documents" has
inverted--instead of running from the A's to the Z's, they list from the
Z's to the A's. It's not a big deal, but I'm not used to it and would
really like to get it back where it was. have no idea what made it reverse.
Not sure if this is a JAWS issue or not, but I'd be grateful if someone
could tell me how to fix it since I'll need to use JAWS to do it.

Thank you in advance.

Shirley

.

Shirley Tracy

Okay. Thanks. It's oone of thos duh moments. Obviously that's what it is--now that you say it. Shirley Tracy

---- Bill White <billwhite92701@dslextreme.com> wrote:

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Actually in this submenu for sort order there is also options for "ascending" or "descending". Another way is to use the Jaws cursor and double click on the "File Name" column header.

[...]

The short answer is that split buttons give you different options depending on whether you press enter on it or use the arrow keys. The arrow keys give more options than the enter key, which seems to be much more limited. As I don't typically play with these buttons, I can't tell you what all they do.

But, another place you might find them would be on a download page. There, you might have a save split button and you can then choose things like whether to open or save a file or make modifications to the title or where you want to store it. Any, there are a few of them around, but I generally try to stick to standard options, myself.

Carol