Win 7 VS win 10

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Hi, I have been using win 10 for a couple of months now. I am running on the latest generation hardware and I dont see any real improvement over win 7. Actually my perceived acessibility is grater in win 7. Programs and Jaws play nicer together and I dont have to deal with Edge at all. Is this just me or do any of you have a simular experience?
Just trying to get a feel for others experiences. :)

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

The one thing I've noticed with my Windows 10 is that every now and then, my sound drivers mysteriously disappear, and someone from my computer store must go into my computer remotely and reinstall all the sound drivers again. The last time this happened, all I was doing was to update JAWS to the latest update. I was using the .exe file, not the update option in JAWS.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:47 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Win 7 VS win 10

Hi, I have been using win 10 for a couple of months now. I am running on the latest generation hardware and I dont see any real improvement over win 7. Actually my perceived acessibility is grater in win 7. Programs and Jaws play nicer together and I dont have to deal with Edge at all. Is this just me or do any of you have a simular experience?

That would be very frustrating. I heard using USB headphones can get you out of a situation like that by at least getting jaws talking to you so you can reinstall your sound card drivers.

On 5/24/2017 1:49 PM, Bill White wrote:
The one thing I've noticed with my Windows 10 is that every now and then, my sound drivers mysteriously disappear, and someone from my computer store must go into my computer remotely and reinstall all the sound drivers again. The last time this happened, all I was doing was to update JAWS to the latest update. I was using the .exe file, not the update option in JAWS.

Bill White

Douglas C. DeCamp

I have been using Win 10 for about 5 months now and am much happier than with my old Win 7 system. Some critical web applications I use had become mostly unusable under win 7, but now work well on my Win 10 system. At least for me, navigation and search are also much faster and more convenient. I am incredibly happy with Win 10. The learning curve took a while because I also upgraded to Office 16 , but once I got going all is fine. I would never willingly go back to Win 7.
Just my personal experience!
--hth---

Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 3:47 PM

Bill,

Take a look at:

Preventing Windows Update from Updating Device Drivers

It's the only workaround I know of, and I'm not 100% certain that it works like it did in the early Versions of Windows 10, but it can't hurt to try.
--
Brian        Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built.  Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

My drivers aren’t being updated. The store looked at that. The drivers just become uninstalled, and all the keys associated with the drivers in the registry disappear.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:19 PM
Subject: Re: Win 7 VS win 10

Bill,

Take a look at:

It's the only workaround I know of, and I'm not 100% certain that it works like it did in the early Versions of Windows 10, but it can't hurt to try.
--

Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built.  Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

Mario

hey Brian, I tried to get the document from the link. it opens Internet
Explorer and JAWS does ask what do I want to do, but I cannot get to
those choices by pressing alt+n or f6. plus the downloads manager is
automatically opened when JAWS says the message. so I copied the address
and pasted it into the address bar of Internet Explorer, but when I
pressed enter, I got an HTTP 400 Bad Request message. Firefox gave the
same message. so what's up with that?

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 5:18 PM EST

Bill,

Take a look at:

Preventing Windows Update from Updating Device Drivers (
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B98uELZbPFnORnNvTldhSzJFY00
)

It's the only workaround I know of, and I'm not 100% certain that it
works like it did in the early Versions of Windows 10, but it can't hurt
to try.
--
*Brian* Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution
is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great
things have been and still will be built. Many things that are entirely
Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

Mario,

I can't answer your question.  The links I post are direct download links for MS-Word documents that reside on my Google Drive.  In any browser when I activate them what pops up is the "Save" dialog that allows you to navigate to wherever you want to save the document and save it.

These have been the same "forever" now and the behavior has been 100% consistent when I test it under Firefox, Chrome, Edge, or IE11.
--

Tony

I don't have a problem with drivers disappearing. In my case the default output device changes from time to time. I finally figured out that if it quits talking, plug into another output device.

This started happening after a Dell update. Their tech removed some of the excess drivers and assured me it can't happen again. It did.

Tony

Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 3:53 PM

That would be very frustrating. I heard using USB headphones can get you out of a situation like that by at least getting jaws talking to you so you can reinstall your sound card drivers.
On 5/24/2017 1:49 PM, Bill White wrote:

Bill White

I use Chrome and when I press enter on the link Chrome opens and the file downloads into my downloads folder without me having to do anything else, I just press enter on the file, wait for a few seconds and close Chrome again.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 5:42 PM

hey Brian, I tried to get the document from the link. it opens Internet Explorer and JAWS does ask what do I want to do, but I cannot get to those choices by pressing alt+n or f6. plus the downloads manager is automatically opened when JAWS says the message. so I copied the address and pasted it into the address bar of Internet Explorer, but when I pressed enter, I got an HTTP 400 Bad Request message. Firefox gave the same message. so what's up with that?

Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 5:18 PM EST

Bill,

Take a look at:

Preventing Windows Update from Updating Device Drivers (
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B98uELZbPFnORnNvTldhSzJFY00
)

--

Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built. Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

HiBill,

I have Windows 10 on an old laptop and a new one and never ran into anything like this. Might be time for a fresh install from scrap to see if that fixes the issue.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:25 PM

My drivers aren’t being updated. The store looked at that. The drivers just become uninstalled, and all the keys associated with the drivers in the registry disappear.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:19 PM

Bill,

Take a look at:

--

Mario

the problem I'm having is when I enter on the link in your email,
Internet Explorer is launched, JAWS asks what do I want to do, but I
can't select what I want to do because the download manager is opened
and I can't get out of it because if I tab and spacebar on the close
button, IE itself closes.

I got the document saved but the problem I experienced is not normal.
why does the download manager open instead of JAWS asking me to "press
alt+n..."?

Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:51 PM EST

Mario,

I can't answer your question. The links I post are direct
download links for MS-Word documents that reside on my Google Drive. In
any browser when I activate them what pops up is the "Save" dialog that
allows you to navigate to wherever you want to save the document and
save it.

These have been the same "forever" now and the behavior has
been 100% consistent when I test it under Firefox, Chrome, Edge, or IE11.
--

Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution
is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great
things have been and still will be built. Many things that are entirely
Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

Mario,

Again, I cannot answer that question because use of the download manager is typically something that gets set in the browser itself.  I do not use them though I will occasionally call up the download manager after I've finished downloading something.

You seem to have IE configured such that when a download is requested it automatically opens the download manager.  I have not used Internet Explorer in years so I cannot tell you where to look in settings for this.
--

If you don't like someone, the way he holds his spoon will make you furious; if you do like him, he can turn his plate over into your lap and you won't mind.     ~ Irving Becker

Mario

I haven't done anything to IE to make it behave that way. anyway, I got
the file saved. thanks Brian.

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:25 AM EST

Mario,

Again, I cannot answer that question because use of the
download manager is typically something that gets set in the browser
itself. I do not use them though I will occasionally call up the
download manager after I've finished downloading something.

You seem to have IE configured such that when a download is
requested it automatically opens the download manager. I have not used
Internet Explorer in years so I cannot tell you where to look in
settings for this.
--

If you don't like someone, the way he holds his spoon will make you
furious; if you do like him, he can turn his plate over into your lap
and you won't mind. ~ Irving Becker

May I ask: When you switched did you upgrade on the same PC or get a newer generation PC with win 10 on it?
I ran win 7 on the latest generation hardware then upgraded the OS.
I am asking because I am doing a informal study and would like to have all the facts to have a accurate result. Thanks.

On 5/24/2017 2:10 PM, Douglas C. DeCamp wrote:
I have been using Win 10 for about 5 months now and am much happier than with my old Win 7 system. Some critical web applications I use had become mostly unusable under win 7, but now work well on my Win 10 system. At least for me, navigation and search are also much faster and more convenient. I am incredibly happy with Win 10. The learning curve took a while because I also upgraded to Office 16 , but once I got going all is fine. I would never willingly go back to Win 7.
--hth---

Douglas C. DeCamp

I purchased a new Dell 7040 I7 6700 machine with Win 7 installed, but with an installation disk for Win 10. I installed an Intel solid state drive and then installed the Win 10 system from scratch. I then installed Office 2016. It has worked extremely well for me.
--- hth ---

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:23 PM

May I ask: When you switched did you upgrade on the same PC or get a newer generation PC with win 10 on it?
I am asking because I am doing a informal study and would like to have all the facts to have a accurate result. Thanks.
--hth---

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Randy Barnett

Thanks. How old was the previous PC?

On 5/25/2017 1:05 PM, Douglas C. DeCamp wrote:
I purchased a new Dell 7040 I7 6700 machine with Win 7 installed, but with an installation disk for Win 10. I installed an Intel solid state drive and then installed the Win 10 system from scratch. I then installed Office 2016. It has worked extremely well for me.
--- hth ---

--hth---

Randy Barnett

Douglas C. DeCamp

I replaced a Lenovo I-3 2nd gen system that I believe dated to 2012. It had Win 7 and Office 2003. Big change going from Office 2003 to 2016!

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 7:05 PM

Thanks. How old was the previous PC?
On 5/25/2017 1:05 PM, Douglas C. DeCamp wrote:
--- hth ---
Randy Barnett

--hth---

Randy Barnett

Ow! Straight into Ribbons all at once! I am still trying to figure these out... They just dont make sense to me.

Using the Ribbon Interface in Windows via the Keyboard
--

If you don't like someone, the way he holds his spoon will make you furious; if you do like him, he can turn his plate over into your lap and you won't mind.     ~ Irving Becker