Big problem with JAWS and Excel.

Michael Mote

Good afternoon everyone!  I’m working with a client who is having major problems with an Excel spreadsheet.  The problem occurs when he is making edits to cells within the spreadsheet.  JAWS will stop responding, and then try to reload.  Still, he is not able to navigate through the spreadsheet.  Eventually, he has to close Excel by going into the task manager, and closing it that way.  This is hampering his work.  We have performed a JAWS repair, with no luck.  We have contacted MS accessibility, and they say they are able to navigate through the spreadsheet, with JAWS still running.  I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to resolve this one.  He is running the current build of JAWS 18 that was released on Monday of this week.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave...

Windows version? Excel version?

Dave
Sent from my iPhone

On May 24, 2017, at 12:24 PM, Michael Mote <miketmote73@...> wrote:

Good afternoon everyone!  I’m working with a client who is having major problems with an Excel spreadsheet.  The problem occurs when he is making edits to cells within the spreadsheet.  JAWS will stop responding, and then try to reload.  Still, he is not able to navigate through the spreadsheet.  Eventually, he has to close Excel by going into the task manager, and closing it that way.  This is hampering his work.  We have performed a JAWS repair, with no luck.  We have contacted MS accessibility, and they say they are able to navigate through the spreadsheet, with JAWS still running.  I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to resolve this one.  He is running the current build of JAWS 18 that was released on Monday of this week.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Michael Mote

Windows 10, Excel 2016!

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave...
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 3:30 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Big problem with JAWS and Excel.

Windows version? Excel version?

Dave

Sent from my iPhone

On May 24, 2017, at 12:24 PM, Michael Mote <miketmote73@...> wrote:

Lee, Amanda * <amanda.lee@...>

Hi Mike,

Is the spreadsheet local as well as the Excel application itself.  I have noticed that whenever JAWS is accessing an application or file across a network, that it can become really bogged down.  Also, if it’s local to this user, then how large is the spreadsheet and I’m sure that this is obvious to you, but how is the hard drive access and performance?  Whichever synthesizer is in use as well might likewise affect responsiveness.   

Kind regards,

Amanda Lee

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Mote
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 3:24 PM
Subject: Big problem with JAWS and Excel.

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Try repairing office... On 5/24/2017 12:24 PM, Michael Mote wrote:

Michael Mote

Both the application and the file are residing on the local hard drive.  He’s using Eloquence for his speech synthesizer. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lee, Amanda *
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 4:06 PM

Hi Mike,

Is the spreadsheet local as well as the Excel application itself.  I have noticed that whenever JAWS is accessing an application or file across a network, that it can become really bogged down.  Also, if it’s local to this user, then how large is the spreadsheet and I’m sure that this is obvious to you, but how is the hard drive access and performance?  Whichever synthesizer is in use as well might likewise affect responsiveness.   

Kind regards,

Amanda Lee

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Mote
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 3:24 PM
Subject: Big problem with JAWS and Excel.

allan.milne@...

hello,
Just joined this group and first post so please be gentle ... :D

I too have this issue with latest update of Jaws 18, Windows 10 and Excel 2016.
Some spreadsheets work fine, others do not - does not seem to relate to the size of the sheet or its complexity, in fact I can't find any correlation between the sheet and this abnormal behaviour.

The problem often starts with very, very slow (>10 seconds) response to any keystrokes in Excel to, for example, use the arrows to move to the next cell.
It can then get progressively worse with no apparent speech at all - leaving me in total ignorance of what is going on; sometimes I am able to ctrl-alt-del to the task manager and use this to close the Excel process but on a couple of occasions Jaws itself seems to have stopped and I have to restart.
)
I note the comment from one reply about non-local files; mine are all local but I do have them in my OneDrive folder and the office upload centre seems also to be doing some magic with them and wonder if this has anything to do with it.

I also note that no solution has yet been posted; I really do need a fix for this as I use Excel a great deal for my personal information and this is really starting to have a detrimental effect.

regards,
Allan

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Hello,

to see if any cloud service causes this problems I recommend to save one of the mentioned workbooks to your local documents folder and open it from there. If the problem is gone we have to look to the cloud services, if not, something else is causing your problems.

Regards,

Ralf

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of allan.milne@...
Sent: Donnerstag, 29. Juni 2017 18:53

hello,

Some spreadsheets work fine, others do not - does not seem to relate to the size of the sheet or its complexity, in fact I can't find any correlation between the sheet and this abnormal behaviour.

The problem often starts with very, very slow (>10 seconds) response to any keystrokes in Excel to, for example, use the arrows to move to the next cell.
It can then get progressively worse with no apparent speech at all - leaving me in total ignorance of what is going on; sometimes I am able to ctrl-alt-del to the task manager and use this to close the Excel process but on a couple of occasions Jaws itself seems to have stopped and I have to restart.
)
I note the comment from one reply about non-local files; mine are all local but I do have them in my OneDrive folder and the office upload centre seems also to be doing some magic with them and wonder if this has anything to do with it.

I also note that no solution has yet been posted; I really do need a fix for this as I use Excel a great deal for my personal information and this is really starting to have a detrimental effect.

regards,
Allan

george b <gbmagoo@...>

Are you using office 365 if so let me know

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ralf Kefferpuetz
Sent: June 30, 2017 2:12

Hello,

to see if any cloud service causes this problems I recommend to save one of the mentioned workbooks to your local documents folder and open it from there. If the problem is gone we have to look to the cloud services, if not, something else is causing your problems.

Regards,

Ralf

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of allan.milne@...
Sent: Donnerstag, 29. Juni 2017 18:53

hello,

)

regards,
Allan

Allan <allan.milne@...>

Ralf - good idea; tried copying a spreadsheet to my c:\temp foder ... and also created a new spreadsheet in that folder ...
in both cases it appeared to work fine and then after entering a few rows of data (approx. 10 rows) I got the sticky behaciour with extreme slowness in responding to keystrokes again ...
so no difference from the oneDrive cloud folder behaviour I found earlier!

Perhaps the only further information is that it appears to misbehave only when adding new cells; navigating around a spreadsheet with existing cell contents does not seem to cause the behaviour.

I'm using Office on my local machine.

Any further ideas?
Allan