Configuring braille display hotkeys

Vaughan Dodd

Greetings.

I have the luxury of being able to use different braille displays with JFW, and at the moment I am running the Edge from HIMS.

Having shifted from Window-Eyes, I am struggling with how to configure display hotkeys.

I noticde in the keyboard manager that there is a braile function called auto advance, but keys are not assigned to it.

In the details around this, it seems to call up a script. But: no option to add braille display commands.

Perhaps i'm looking in the wrong place: help please.

Vaughan.

Sally Hagarty

Hi, Vaughan. I found this info in the Edge manual.
3.11 Auto scroll
The “Auto Scroll” command scrolls the Braille display automatically by line
through the document.
You can turn the auto scroll feature on and off by pressing the up and down
scroll buttons simultaneously. You can also cancel auto scrolling by pressing the escape key.
Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but wanted to try.

Vaughan Dodd

Hi Sally.

That works when the Edge is operating as a stand-alone device reading files.

I wish that was the JFW command - but unfortunately - not so.

All the best.

Vaughan.

On 5/24/2017 11:57 AM, Sally Hagarty wrote:
Hi, Vaughan. I found this info in the Edge manual.
3.11 Auto scroll
The “Auto Scroll” command scrolls the Braille display automatically by line
through the document.
You can turn the auto scroll feature on and off by pressing the up and down
scroll buttons simultaneously. You can also cancel auto scrolling by pressing the escape key.
Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but wanted to try.

Lee Maschmeyer

Hi,

Jaws does have an auto advance facility. To find it:

First, look in Jaws Help to see if there's already something configured for your display. If there isn't:

1. Start the Jaws keyboard manager.

2. If your Braille display doesn't say "Default" (without the quotes) type "default" relatively fast. Probably just de will be enough.

3. Tab.

4. Type BrailleAutoAdvance.

With luck the next word(s) will be the key(s) to start and stop the auto advance mode. Without luck it'll say None.

5. If it says None press the down arrow a time or three and see if there's anything that looks like it might be relevant.

6. When you find the script you want and you don't like what it's fastened to, press Delete on the keys you don't want and then Ctrl+A to add the keys you want.

Good luck,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll

Vaughan Dodd

Thanks Lee.

Got half way there, so your instructions will be helpful.

Doesn't look as if the Edge has an assigned command for auto advance, but I've certainly found the help topic.

Now to go the full distance using your instructions with this.

Best.

Vaughan.

On 5/24/2017 2:20 PM, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:
[...]

Hi again.

Not quite achieving what I am looking for: I cannot yet seem to find a way of adding the command on the display's keyboard.

I do understand the steps required as described, but it seems only to enable me to add a desktop key sequence.

Will keep looking.

Could of course be a HIMS issue as well.