Quicken

Van Lant, Robin

Anyone using JAWS with Quicken?  I’ll be moving to JAWS from Window-Eyes, which has some level of accessibility with the personal Quicken.

Robin Van Lant | Sr. Program Manager

Strategy & Performance Management | Key Equipment Finance

720-304-1060 | Robin_Van_Lant@...

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Milton Ota <mota1252@...>

At the present time I don't think there is access to using JAWS with Quicken. I recently heard that Intuit was sold to another company so we can only hope that they will make the software accessable.

If you want a check writing program that is fully accessable and you can setup multiple accounts to keep track and write check, the only program of that sort is the Money Talk from the American Printing House. A download was priced at $39.99 and the disk would cost another $10.00 more. If you do use the download version, you will need to contact the American Printing House to provide payment to get the registration key.

Anyone using JAWS with Quicken? I’ll be moving to JAWS from Window-Eyes, which has some level of accessibility with the personal Quicken.
Robin Van Lant | Sr. Program Manager
Strategy & Performance Management | Key Equipment Finance
720-304-1060 | Robin_Van_Lant@key.com
127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Stan Holdeman

Yes, Robin, I am using Quicken 2016 with jaws 18. The level of accessibility is pretty low in my view. I have a little sight, so I can use Magic along with Jaws. That keeps me going in Quicken.

Stan

Anyone using JAWS with Quicken?  I’ll be moving to JAWS from Window-Eyes, which has some level of accessibility with the personal Quicken.

Robin Van Lant | Sr. Program Manager

Strategy & Performance Management | Key Equipment Finance

720-304-1060 | Robin_Van_Lant@...

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

As I understand it Quicken is now accessible with some pricey scripts...

On 5/23/2017 1:53 PM, Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io wrote:

Anyone using JAWS with Quicken?  I’ll be moving to JAWS from Window-Eyes, which has some level of accessibility with the personal Quicken.

Robin Van Lant | Sr. Program Manager

Strategy & Performance Management | Key Equipment Finance

720-304-1060 | Robin_Van_Lant@...

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Cash manager is a full fledged accounting app that is completely accessible. Although it will cost more than 40.00. :)

On 5/23/2017 2:34 PM, Milton Ota wrote:
[...]

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

I did a quick Google search and couldn’t find the scripts for the person looking for them.

As I understand it Quicken is now accessible with some pricey scripts...
On 5/23/2017 1:53 PM, Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io wrote:

Anyone using JAWS with Quicken?  I’ll be moving to JAWS from Window-Eyes, which has some level of accessibility with the personal Quicken.

Robin Van Lant | Sr. Program Manager

Strategy & Performance Management | Key Equipment Finance

720-304-1060 | Robin_Van_Lant@...

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Sorry it is for Quick books. I dont know the differences between the two. They are both from Intuit. OR at least they used to be.
http://myblindspot.org/store/

On 5/23/2017 4:14 PM, Dennis L wrote:

I did a quick Google search and couldn’t find the scripts for the person looking for them.

As I understand it Quicken is now accessible with some pricey scripts...
On 5/23/2017 1:53 PM, Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io wrote:

Anyone using JAWS with Quicken?  I’ll be moving to JAWS from Window-Eyes, which has some level of accessibility with the personal Quicken.

Robin Van Lant | Sr. Program Manager

Strategy & Performance Management | Key Equipment Finance

720-304-1060 | Robin_Van_Lant@...

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Les Kriegler <kriegler@...>

Hi Robin,

I'm using it for downloading of transactions into various accounts. You can
tab through the check registries, but often, double entries are read.
Accessibility needs lots of work. As mentioned, Intuit sold the Quicken
product to Quicken itself. The web site is quicken.com. They provide
support, but it depends on who you get when you call. I use it now because
I want to categorize transactions for tax purposes for our accountant. If
there was another viable option, I'd take it. I will probably add
investment accounts to my accounts list, something I don't think other
programs support. Cash Management had some potential, but they didn't
support the Quicken format, and there was poor follow-up from their contact
when I approached them about this issue. Every package I know of supports
the Quicken format, so that was disappointing. Hope this helps.

Les

Anyone using JAWS with Quicken? I'll be moving to JAWS from Window-Eyes,
which has some level of accessibility with the personal Quicken.

Robin Van Lant | Sr. Program Manager

Strategy & Performance Management | Key Equipment Finance

720-304-1060 | Robin_Van_Lant@key.com

intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying,
the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This
communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers
directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose
information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

from Key send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional
E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Van Lant, Robin

Thanks to Les and Stan. That sounds about like the access I had with Window Eyes. Quicken is offering a 60-day money back guarantee on trying Quicken 2017 and they say they've revamped the interface, which could go either way on accessibility. I lost a year's worth of Quicken files due to a computer crash last summer, so I'm going to start fresh and maybe given Quicken 2017 a try. I tried the Cash Manager software someone else mentioned and didn't have the patience to figure it out; it was not intuitive. Like Les, I'm mainly tracking spending categories for my accountant and our family budgeting.

[...]

It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Stan Holdeman

Keep us posted on how you get along with Q 2017.

Stan

[...]

Chris G <jedikent@...>

Hi Robin,
What about something like Money Talks from APH?
http://tech.aph.org/mt_info.htm
It is a pretty accessible program and sounds like it may do what you want.

Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
Where the magic is in learning.
https://www.MysticAccess.com
Ready to begin using your assistive technology with confidence while actualy having fun? Visit us to learn about our comprehensive audio tutorials, one-on-one support and ongoing teleclasses. We also offer eclectic and timely assistive technology podcasts, a newsletter containing exclusive news and discounts, regularly updated free downloads, and so much more.
Contact:
Phone: (716) 543-3323 (Ext. 500)
Twitter: MysticAccess
[...]

Mario

Chris, I assume you use MT? is it better to use it with the built in
voicing feature or turn it off and use a screen reader like JAWS or NVDA?

[...]

.

Ted Drake

Hi All
I manage accessibility at Intuit, so I can help with clarifying the current situation.

Quicken was Intuit's original product and helps people manage their budgets, investments, and balancing their accounts. QuickBooks is the product for small businesses. It manages accounting, sales, invoices, employees, payroll, and taxes.

Intuit spun off Quicken last year; it now runs as its own company. Intuit's management felt like Quicken was no longer fitting into our core strategy and it would have a stronger future as a standalone product.  Quicken has kept the majority of its engineers and most importantly their lead accessibility manager. Quicken made a change several years ago to modernize the operating system and accidentally made accessibility worse. We gathered a group of blind customers to beta test fixes and began a concentrated effort to restore keyboard and improve label accessibility.

The  Intuit/Quicken separation process took a while, but their team is back to working on accessibility and product quality. I still keep in touch with their team and have great confidence in their commitment to accessibility.

Quicken should work a bit better with JAWS than Window-Eyes. We discovered an old script was bundled with the JAWS product. We made some improvements  a couple years ago to provide some additional labels for controls. This script is free and you shouldn't need to download anything.

You can find more information about Quicken at https://www.quicken.com/

For basic budgeting and categorization, you could also try Mint. This is the free product from Intuit. It's a web and mobile product that does much of what Quicken covers. Mint doesn't provide Quicken's deeper reports and insights. It does have a method to pay bills. Mint's mobile apps provide a more accessible experience than the web site, but we are continually making improvements to all platforms.  You can find more information at http://mint.intuit.com

QuickBooks isn't the product for you.

I always welcome feedback on the accessibility of our products. Our product teams value customer insights.

Thank you Les for your your response.

Ted Drake, Intuit Accessibility
ted_drake@...

Chris G <jedikent@...>

By default it auto detects the screen reader.
It will let the screen reader speak but some commands such as the say command it sends it to the screen reader to speak.
If you set it to self voicing you will get all prompts spoken in sapi speech.

Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
Where the magic is in learning.
https://www.MysticAccess.com
Ready to begin using your assistive technology with confidence while actually having fun? Visit us to learn about our comprehensive audio tutorials, one-on-one support and ongoing teleclasses. We also offer eclectic and timely assistive technology podcasts, a newsletter containing exclusive news and discounts, regularly updated free downloads, and so much more.
Contact:
Phone: (716) 543-3323 (Ext. 500)
Twitter: MysticAccess