Do not have liquids when listening to this

David & his pack of dogs <myguidedogis@...>

All this talk about voices synthetic or not.  Reminded me of when I was doing some volunteer work for our local police department. My female manager heard the senthetic voice and said, “Can’t you get a sexy man to be the voice?  Does it have to be so robotic?”  I did warn you.  LOL.   

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 07:21 am, David & his pack of dogs wrote:
My female manager heard the senthetic voice and said, “Can’t you get a sexy man to be the voice?  Does it have to be so robotic?”

That may have been a ridiculous question then, but not so much now.

There are some very "sexy" sounding voices available for speech synthesis that sound virtually human.  This is particularly so on GPS devices, and some of these voices are a hoot (unless someone is easily offended by directions being given in very suggestive, as opposed to demanding, tones).
--
Brian        Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built.  Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Where, where?

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:59 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Do not have liquids when listening to this

My female manager heard the senthetic voice and said, “Can’t you get a sexy man to be the voice?  Does it have to be so robotic?”

There are some very "sexy" sounding voices available for speech synthesis that sound virtually human.  This is particularly so on GPS devices, and some of these voices are a hoot (unless someone is easily offended by directions being given in very suggestive, as opposed to demanding, tones).
--

Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built.  Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

Maria Campbell

I bet no one would believe I used to like Huge Harry?

lucky1inct@...
Faithfulness does not begin with large tasks-if it is not present in small things, it does not exist at all.
On 5/23/2017 11:16 AM, Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) wrote:

Where, where?

Ted

--

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

That was DecTalk, wasn’t it?  I’ve still got one of those cards around the office.  The commonwealth paid for it back in 1997.

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 11:20 AM

lucky1inct@...
Faithfulness does not begin with large tasks-if it is not present in small things, it does not exist at all.

Where, where?

Ted

--

Maria Campbell

Yep.

lucky1inct@...
On 5/23/2017 11:25 AM, Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) wrote:

That was DecTalk, wasn’t it?  I’ve still got one of those cards around the office.  The commonwealth paid for it back in 1997.

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Maria Campbell

lucky1inct@...

Where, where?

Ted

--

Mich Verrier

where is the origenal file? I would like to hear this. from Mich

Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 11:27 AM

Yep.

lucky1inct@...

Ted

lucky1inct@...

Where, where?

Ted

There are some very "sexy" sounding voices available for speech synthesis that sound virtually human.  This is particularly so on GPS devices, and some of these voices are a hoot (unless someone is easily offended by directions being given in very suggestive, as opposed to demanding, tones).
--
Brian        Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built.  Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I used Betty, the best of  the female choices.  I agree with a  recent commenter.  Many of these voices might be useful if your voicing cartoon characters, but they’re good for little else.  The original Shelly (circa 1997) sounded like Marge Simpson, and who in the world would want to listen to that day in and day out?

Ted

Yep.

lucky1inct@...

Ted

lucky1inct@...

Where, where?

Ted

--

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Some GPS systems in cars use a mix of recorded human voices and synthetic speech. They use the recorded messages like “Turn left at” and then use a synethic voice to speak the street name. This way they can use whatever high quality or sexy or whatever you want to call it voice for the prompts or messages that are always the same and only use a good quality synthetic voice to speak the information that can’t be recorded.

Ava does sound pretty good, but I’m sorry, it still doesn’t sound sexy or overly human to me.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mich Verrier
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 8:30 AM

Yep.

lucky1inct@...

Ted

lucky1inct@...

Where, where?

Ted

There are some very "sexy" sounding voices available for speech synthesis that sound virtually human.  This is particularly so on GPS devices, and some of these voices are a hoot (unless someone is easily offended by directions being given in very suggestive, as opposed to demanding, tones).
--

Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built.  Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

WWV has an interesting approach.  Whoever did the time announcements many years ago recorded it in installments.  The first phrase is “at the tone,” then a number from 0  to 23, then a number from 0 to 59, followed by the phrase (coordinated Universal time.  It’s pretty smooth, but the splices are evident to a careful listener.  Since this station predated our digital revolution, it would be interesting to know how the announcements were initially prepared.

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 12:32 PM

Some GPS systems in cars use a mix of recorded human voices and synthetic speech. They use the recorded messages like “Turn left at” and then use a synethic voice to speak the street name. This way they can use whatever high quality or sexy or whatever you want to call it voice for the prompts or messages that are always the same and only use a good quality synthetic voice to speak the information that can’t be recorded.

Ava does sound pretty good, but I’m sorry, it still doesn’t sound sexy or overly human to me.

Regards,

Sieghard

Yep.

lucky1inct@...

Ted

lucky1inct@...

Where, where?

Ted

--

Well, "sexy" is in the ear of the beholder, that's for sure.

I've found some of the "foreign" (for the United States) accented voices on Garmin, particularly one of the British female and Australian male, voices to be rather mellifluous and somewhat sexy.  Everyone's mileage will, of course, vary,

I don't find, for instance, the SAPI voice "Microsoft David" that I use with NVDA "sexy" but I do find it, in many instances, particularly when it's reading through something at beyond the letter or word levels to be remarkably lifelike in most instances.

Not knowing the synthesizers that various people are using it's impossible to suggest generic ways to search for a "sexy" voice for them, but I'd be willing to bet that someone has created them, even if they're not commercially available, but it's a matter of finding them.  Inflection, breathiness (or lack thereof), and vowel duration are a lot of what get's tagged as "sexy" when you think about voices in real people that are described as sexy.  These are parameters that it's possible to control in a speech synthesizer.

It would be an absolute riot to create a "femme fatale" or the male counterpart thereof synthesized voices for use with anything, screen reader or not.  I don't think that anyone would use the most "over the top" versions for any period of time, but they could make for great entertainment value over a short term.

--

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Well, pilgrim, how ‘bout The duke reading your shopping list oh, how I wish I could write that in Winterset, Iowa dialect)!  I’m personally a fan of Vocalizer’s Karen, but reading at my speed means I can’t  use any of them, except Eloquence, for very long.

Ted

Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 1:17 PM

I've found some of the "foreign" (for the United States) accented voices on Garmin, particularly one of the British female and Australian male, voices to be rather mellifluous and somewhat sexy.  Everyone's mileage will, of course, vary,

I don't find, for instance, the SAPI voice "Microsoft David" that I use with NVDA "sexy" but I do find it, in many instances, particularly when it's reading through something at beyond the letter or word levels to be remarkably lifelike in most instances.

Not knowing the synthesizers that various people are using it's impossible to suggest generic ways to search for a "sexy" voice for them, but I'd be willing to bet that someone has created them, even if they're not commercially available, but it's a matter of finding them.  Inflection, breathiness (or lack thereof), and vowel duration are a lot of what get's tagged as "sexy" when you think about voices in real people that are described as sexy.  These are parameters that it's possible to control in a speech synthesizer.

It would be an absolute riot to create a "femme fatale" or the male counterpart thereof synthesized voices for use with anything, screen reader or not.  I don't think that anyone would use the most "over the top" versions for any period of time, but they could make for great entertainment value over a short term.

--

How about slowing down your listening speed?  LOL.  The JAWS diffult is set to 15, slower then snails. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:30 AM

Well, pilgrim, how ‘bout The duke reading your shopping list oh, how I wish I could write that in Winterset, Iowa dialect)!  I’m personally a fan of Vocalizer’s Karen, but reading at my speed means I can’t  use any of them, except Eloquence, for very long.

Ted

--

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

That just might work, although it would lack a certain something!

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David & his pack of dogs
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 2:00 PM

How about slowing down your listening speed?  LOL.  The JAWS diffult is set to 15, slower then snails. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Ted

--

Mike Ulrich <mulrich@...>

Are you talking about Karen from Australia?

Man, I’ve had some big time fun writing scripts for her to say!

And that’s all I got to say about that! LOL!

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David & his pack of dogs

Ted

--

Well, if she is a real person, we won’t tell her she doesn’t sound human.  LOL.  Thems fighting words.  Huge Grin. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:32 AM

Regards,

Sieghard

Yep.

lucky1inct@...

Ted

lucky1inct@...

Where, where?

Ted

--

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

That’s our girl!  Hope Colleen never finds out.

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Ulrich
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 2:20 PM

Are you talking about Karen from Australia?

Man, I’ve had some big time fun writing scripts for her to say!

And that’s all I got to say about that! LOL!

Ted

--

Angel

In the 1950's, and prior, in my city, dispatchers were not hired.  If their voices were at all suggestive.  The belief being, the sound of their voices would distract individuals from the purpose of doing their jobs.  I still believe the voice on a computer, when one is using it to perform ones job should not suggest entertainment in any way.  Or should be a distraction from doing ones job.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:58 AM

--

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

God forbid we enjoy ourselves while working on a spreadsheet.  All kidding aside, I’ve already said I like Eloquence for anything involving Say All.

Ted

--

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I think Talk Back on my tablet sounds good, and also Siri on
our iPhone.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 12:32 PM

Some GPS systems in cars use a mix of recorded human voices
and synthetic speech. They use the recorded messages like
"Turn left at" and then use a synethic voice to speak the
street name. This way they can use whatever high quality or
sexy or whatever you want to call it voice for the prompts
or messages that are always the same and only use a good
quality synthetic voice to speak the information that can't
be recorded.

Ava does sound pretty good, but I'm sorry, it still doesn't
sound sexy or overly human to me.

Regards,

Sieghard

Behalf Of Mich Verrier

where is the origenal file? I would like to hear this. from
Mich

To: main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>

Yep.

lucky1inct@... <mailto:lucky1inct@...>
Faithfulness does not begin with large tasks-if it is not
present in small things, it does not exist at all.

That was DecTalk, wasn't it? I've still got one of
those cards around the office. The commonwealth paid for it
back in 1997.

Ted

[mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
To: main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Re: Do not have liquids when listening to
this

I bet no one would believe I used to like Huge
Harry?

lucky1inct@... <mailto:lucky1inct@...>
Faithfulness does not begin with large tasks-if it
is not present in small things, it does not exist at all.

Where, where?

Ted

<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Brian Vogel
<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Re: Do not have liquids when
listening to this

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 07:21 am, David &
his pack of dogs wrote:

My female manager heard the
senthetic voice and said, "Can't you get a sexy man to be
the voice? Does it have to be so robotic?"

That may have been a ridiculous question
then, but not so much now.

There are some very "sexy" sounding voices
available for speech synthesis that sound virtually human.
This is particularly so on GPS devices, and some of these
voices are a hoot (unless someone is easily offended by
directions being given in very suggestive, as opposed to
demanding, tones).
--
Brian Version 1703, Build 15063.296,
Home 64-bit

Many are under the gross
misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a
laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things
have been and still will be built. Many things that are
entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but