New member with a question about JAWS and Kindle

Shirley Tracy

Hello all,

My name is Shirley Tracy. I’m new on this list, and I’ve been a JAWS user for close to 20 years, but I’m admittedly self taught and definitely not very technical. I hope to learn a lot from you guys, and I will try to participate when I can.

As the subject line states, I’d like to know if any of you are able to use JAWS with Kindle. A few years back, I tried but couldn’t. Has anything changed? If so, any pointers?

Thank you for letting me be a part of this group.

Cheerfully,
Shirley

Dave Mitchell

Hi, I recently had success with Kindle and JAWS 18 by going to the link below and arrowing down to the link designated for Windows and Mac. This link will take you to a utility for screen readers that will allow text to speech.
Others know more so write again if you have trouble. Mitch

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/fd/kcp---

My name is Shirley Tracy. I’m new on this list, and I’ve been a JAWS user for close to 20 years, but I’m admittedly self taught and definitely not very technical. I hope to learn a lot from you guys, and I will try to participate when I can.

As the subject line states, I’d like to know if any of you are able to use JAWS with Kindle. A few years back, I tried but couldn’t. Has anything changed? If so, any pointers?

Thank you for letting me be a part of this group.

Cheerfully,
Shirley

Carol Smith

Hi,

From what I have seen, text is, of course, not visible. The reading keys work for listening to the book with the Kindle voices. Much of the menu information is visible, but I do not see where to put your information in if you plan to register online. Also, if you click on the button one tab after the register button and you have already registered before, that button is now a deregister button, although it does not say that. Please note, I am not using the most current version of Kindle because it does not suit my needs.

Carol

On 5/21/2017 9:55 AM, Shirley Tracy wrote:
Hello all,

My name is Shirley Tracy. I’m new on this list, and I’ve been a JAWS user for close to 20 years, but I’m admittedly self taught and definitely not very technical. I hope to learn a lot from you guys, and I will try to participate when I can.

As the subject line states, I’d like to know if any of you are able to use JAWS with Kindle. A few years back, I tried but couldn’t. Has anything changed? If so, any pointers?

Thank you for letting me be a part of this group.

Cheerfully,
Shirley

Brenda <bjnite@...>

Hi Shirley,

do I know you?

Why not just use Kindle on your iPhone?

Brenda

On 5/21/2017 9:55 AM, Shirley Tracy wrote:
Hello all,
My name is Shirley Tracy. I’m new on this list, and I’ve been a JAWS user for close to 20 years, but I’m admittedly self taught and definitely not very technical. I hope to learn a lot from you guys, and I will try to participate when I can.
As the subject line states, I’d like to know if any of you are able to use JAWS with Kindle. A few years back, I tried but couldn’t. Has anything changed? If so, any pointers?
Thank you for letting me be a part of this group.
Cheerfully,
Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Thank you, Dave and Carol:

I'm going to play with it again. If I have more questions, I'll come back and ask.

Cheerfully,
Shirley Tracy

Jim Fettgather

When you download, install, and use Kindle for PC, along with Jaws 18,
and open your Kindle library, you may use all of the Jaws navigational
commands with which you are familiar.
Control Down Arrow, for example, will read by paragraph.
You may read by letter, word, line. and so on.

You do not need to use any of the pre-installed Kindle for PC voices
that were originally used in the first instance of the supposedly
Kindle for Pc.
You may use which ever Jaws voice you wish.

The only thing that does not work, which is kind of a mystery, is that
you cannot select line by line with Shift down Arrow.
Jaws indicates that this function is not available.
However, with another competitive and free screen reader, this
function of selecting text works flawlessly.

So, I highly recommend using Kindle for PC and Jaws 18 for reading any
books in your Kindle library.

On 5/22/17, Carol Smith via Groups.Io <carollablady=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi,

From what I have seen, text is, of course, not visible. The reading
keys work for listening to the book with the Kindle voices. Much of the
menu information is visible, but I do not see where to put your
information in if you plan to register online. Also, if you click on the
button one tab after the register button and you have already registered
before, that button is now a deregister button, although it does not say
that. Please note, I am not using the most current version of Kindle
because it does not suit my needs.