getting rid of annoying speech

Carol Smith

OK, I am back with a different issue, grin.

Every time I open an email, I hear things like x western or x Unicode. When I arrow through the text, it is voiced, but there is nothing there. I assume this is some type of formatting indicator, but how can I make this go away?

With the same general idea, how do I change pronunciations for words that are incorrectly spoken with my synthesizer? I tried to make changes and it appeared I had done it, but when I went back to my document, the change did not take effect. I did choose global rather than application for the changes.

Thank you again. This is turning out to be a very informative group.

Carol

Marquette, Ed <ed.marquette@...>

Not sure what is going on with the email problem.
For the pronunciation dictionary, however, the tool is very powerful, but that can sometimes be the problem.
Before changing the pronunciation of a word, be sure your cursor is on the first character of the word.
It may not be necessary, but I route the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor before invoking the pronunciation dictionary hotkey.
Then, press Jaws Key + d (for dictionary).
I usually have to tab a couple of times to get "add" into focus. Then, press SpaceBar.
Now the word whose pronunciation needs changing should be in an edit box.
Double-check it. I always ensure there are no trailing spaces, but I don't think that's necessary either.
Then, press tab to the edit box where you change the spelling of the word so it sounds right.
Then, usually, tab across to OK. Along the way, check to see that all the options are set correctly, including whether the pronunciation change is case sensitive. That should be off by default, but ...
Now comes the part I sometimes forget. Be sure to "save" the file.
Just to be certain, I always save twice -- when I remember.
Then, exit the pronunciation dictionary.
That usually works.

OK, I am back with a different issue, grin.

Every time I open an email, I hear things like x western or x Unicode.
When I arrow through the text, it is voiced, but there is nothing there. I assume this is some type of formatting indicator, but how can I make this go away?

With the same general idea, how do I change pronunciations for words that are incorrectly spoken with my synthesizer? I tried to make changes and it appeared I had done it, but when I went back to my document, the change did not take effect. I did choose global rather than application for the changes.

Thank you again. This is turning out to be a very informative group.

Carol

Thank you.

Maria Campbell

You might try pressing insert v for quick settings, find reading options, find language detect change and press space bar for not checked if it is checked.

lucky1inct@gmail.com
Faithfulness does not begin with large tasks-if it is not present in small things, it does not exist at all.

On 5/20/2017 7:37 AM, Carol Smith via Groups.Io wrote:
OK, I am back with a different issue, grin.

Every time I open an email, I hear things like x western or x Unicode. When I arrow through the text, it is voiced, but there is nothing there. I assume this is some type of formatting indicator, but how can I make this go away?

With the same general idea, how do I change pronunciations for words that are incorrectly spoken with my synthesizer? I tried to make changes and it appeared I had done it, but when I went back to my document, the change did not take effect. I did choose global rather than application for the changes.

Thank you again. This is turning out to be a very informative group.

Carol

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

When you change word pronunciation, first thing, Press Shift-Control-D for default to all programs. Then Press Enter to add. Once you are satisfied with your selection, be sure to Tab to OK, then Save changes when you Exit the program.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

OK, I am back with a different issue, grin.

Every time I open

an email, I hear things like x western or x Unicode.
When I arrow through the text, it is voiced, but there is nothing there. I assume this is some type of formatting indicator, but how can I make this go away?

With the same general idea, how do I change pronunciations for words that are incorrectly spoken with my synthesizer? I tried to make changes and it appeared I had done it, but when I went back to my document, the change did not take effect. I did choose global rather than application for the changes.

Thank you again. This is turning out to be a very informative group.

Carol

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

You can type in the word you want changed, once you have entered the dictionary and pressed the Spacebar. Then at the next tab stop comes the fun time of figuring out a word that will sound right. I went through before sending the email about going to OK and then saving, to make sure I gave the right instructions, and the word that I worked on was idolator - familiar to Bible readers - fun and games with that one to be sure.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

OK, I am back with a different issue, grin.

Every time I open an email, I hear things like x western or x Unicode.
When I arrow through the text, it is voiced, but there is nothing there. I assume this is some type of formatting indicator, but how can I make this go away?

With the same general idea, how do I change pronunciations for words that are incorrectly spoken with my synthesizer? I tried to make changes and it appeared I had done it, but when I went back to my document, the change did not take effect. I did choose global rather than application for the changes.

Thank you again. This is turning out to be a very informative group.

Carol

This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipients above and may contain information that is privileged, attorney work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete this E-mail message.
Thank you.

Ashleigh Piccinino

If you want that word to be pluralized as you “make it sound” in the “replacement word” box of the dictionary manager, put a star on the “original word” box at the end of your word. This is a wildcard character which will automatically “see” the pluralized word and speak what you’d wanted its replacement to be. If you need an example, just play around with it and see what happens. The original word box is labeled, “actual word.”

Ashleigh Piccinino

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Should you need to, press alt l for what language you’d like your word in, and tab over to what synthesizer to have speak your word. Of course, press the alt f4 to close and space to save your changes. Once again, play around withthis if you need to.

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I agree with Carolyn 99% on this, but there are times (a dedicated bible dictionary comes to mind) when it is appropriate to save to a particular dictionary, rather than the default. Not too many folks name their kids Nebuchadnezzar these days, and the word Job is too obvious to explain, with or without caps. There are also dedicated medical dictionaries.

Ted

[...]

Pretty good about Nebakudrrezar - doubt I spelled it right.

Bye for now,

Carolyn